Montys jeep?

theduncans

Does anyone know if Monty had a willys jeep during the WW2 period. Have been offered the front steering ball joints from a willys and was told they came from Monties jeep that he took with him everywhere during the war. I would have thought he would have had an English vehicle. Maybe these were from an English jeep type vehicle. Can anyone help here?

Monty is best known for his two Humber Snipe tourers - the "Victory Car" and "Old Faithful" - and his caravans.

That's not to say there wouldn't have been jeeps available to his HQ. He undoubtably would have sat in one from time to time. Whether a couple of ball joints could have come from one of these is another matter. Sounds a tall story to me.

Does anyone know if Monty had a willys jeep during the WW2 period. Have been offered the front steering ball joints from a willys and was told they came from Monties jeep that he took with him everywhere during the war. I would have thought he would have had an English vehicle. Maybe these were from an English jeep type vehicle. Can anyone help here?

Best to come out with this story at the start of April !!

The women with the ball joints got them from her father who at the end of the war was a Captain REME and in charge of scraping veh. He was the one who salvaged them and made rose bowls from them by mounting them on a wooden base and partiallyt filling them with lead to give them stability. As he is long dead all I can go by is her memory of the family story behind them. He also copper plated the joints and they are heavy. Having worked in RCEME in 50's and 60's they do look like ball joints from a Willys. HUM, makes a good story anyway. Will pass them on to the local RSL (Returned and Service League) for the display cabinet and write the story as unsubstantiated. Still a good story.

The women with the ball joints got them from her father who at the end of the war was a Captain REME and in charge of scraping veh. He was the one who salvaged them and made rose bowls from them by mounting them on a wooden base and partiallyt filling them with lead to give them stability. As he is long dead all I can go by is her memory of the family story behind them. He also copper plated the joints and they are heavy. Having worked in RCEME in 50's and 60's they do look like ball joints from a Willys. HUM, makes a good story anyway. Will pass them on to the local RSL (Returned and Service League) for the display cabinet and write the story as unsubstantiated. Still a good story.

Ah........I think you are talking about the front axle swivel ends, which are spherical.

I can tell you where Monty's Rolls is. There is also a picture of Monty in a small tourer in Jersey, that car is still in the Island. So no reason why Monty shouldn't have ridden in a Jeep. Would make a lot of sense in the war zone any special vehicle= special target!. Rommel learnt that one the hard way in France.

Obviously the gentleman took a lot of trouble over the joint, so is worth keeping as conversation piece.

Any chance of a picture?

http://www.michie.net/misc/pxp2anq.html