ferret

griff66

well the ferret is now road legal and went for the first road drive in it on monday, got some great looks !i guess it was a bit of a shakedown run pulled into a lay-bye after 3 miles for a nose around the beast and found coolant at top of rad ! could not see were it was coming from, so let her cool down, drove it back home, and discovered it was the pipe leading to the pressure relief valve top of rad had come off.propped up the engine deck with 2x4,s and managed to get pipe back on jubilee was a bit of a swine to get to but got there in the end will be out again sat ,sun weather permitting!

so its just a straight tube from l/h hull to prv top of rad.

correct, once the prv blows then this is just a tube darining to outside the vehicle, as Chris says it often blocks when creepy crawlies or dirt get in it and then the water finds the weak spot in the system and will obviously vent inside the engine bay as a result

Edited by john fox

i think also not only is tube outlet for prv but when coolant cools air is drawn in to prevent a vacuum forming in cooling system.

No reason why not. Whilst not being a D&M bigot, one thing I do remember from my Scorpion D&M course was that there was a PVRV on the cooling system.

• 1 month later...

more drives in the ferret last monday did about 20 miles big grin ! when she gets hot coolant comes out of correct place now ! u can do pipe with servo still attached as it will maneuver out of the way while still connected when u go for a run in your ferrets and u notice temp at 200 ish is it best to pull into layby and let them idle for a bit ? to cool, mine went to 205 ish spat bit of coolant out , i think thermostat is fully open at 180 trouble is u cant get to bottom hoses to feel them.

Mine usually hovers around 180-190. On a long trip, such as the 200 miles to Beltring, I opened the engine deck covers, shut the latches and then closed them again leaving a larger gap so more air can get in. Don't drive over any big bumps like this though as the decks will bounce open!

Chris

I have a question. Would taking the bottom hull access plates off help getting the engine running cooler? I just wonder if the added air flow from the bottom would help. I know when summer comes to southern california I will need all the help I can get keeping the Ferret cool.

Thanks-Chris

Mine usually hovers around 180-190. On a long trip, such as the 200 miles to Beltring, I opened the engine deck covers, shut the latches and then closed them again leaving a larger gap so more air can get in. Don't drive over any big bumps like this though as the decks will bounce open!

Chris

Do you really drive your Ferret 200 miles to a show??

WOW

I do believe Chris traveled from Nottingham to Salisbury Plains (& back) in his Ferret too:wow:

Yes, and that trip is repeated today would cost the same in £££s as it is in miles! It was the plains trip in 2007 and I think I did 500 miles over the weekend and used about £300 worth of fuel!