becoming a saracenier

haybaggerman

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
82BA68, which is 2nd and 3rd photos down. Now this is an odd one, anyone notice what is wrong with it?

Reverse flow air. Our Zero Charlie ACV was one of these. In BAOR it made not a ha'p'orth of difference, but in sandpits it reduced the amount of sand collected.

Reverse flow air. Our Zero Charlie ACV was one of these. In BAOR it made not a ha'p'orth of difference, but in sandpits it reduced the amount of sand collected.

Alien, you are close, it is to do with RFC........but a little more detail than that.

Is it his turret lid? He has his head out of the top but the lid would normally be opened up in front of him.

Close?

Paul, I did not notice that, but on a close look at both shots, it looks like the top flap is removed.

Go on Richard, put me out of my misery, whats wrong with it please??

Well although it has beehive engine covers and front shroud, as associated with RFC, the hull has not been modified, the original cooling air trunkings, around front of drivers position are still there. Normally the hull is reworked at this point, to eliminate the ports.

Well although it has beehive engine covers and front shroud, as associated with RFC, the hull has not been modified, the original cooling air trunkings, around front of drivers position are still there. Normally the hull is reworked at this point, to eliminate the ports.

I cannot say I ever noticed that Charlie had had the trunking removed. Doesn't mean it hadn't. On my past record I am probably wrong.

Ahhh...I've seen this before, it's not unique on early RFC motors. Note the motor concerned is a Mk3...(skinny tyres & round vent axia fan housings) I believe when RFC was first introduced the air ducting outlets were simply blanked off, then later removed completely on series production. Not seen this set up on a MK6 RFC anyway.

See page 158 of Alvis Saracen Family by Bill Munroe....the HK Police motor also still has the full vents + its RFC kit.

Note also the size & shape of the RFC front baffle plate on the Aden motor.....these were considerably deeper on Mk6. Interestingly though the HK Police motor has the deeper baffle too.

Howard.

Ahhh...I've seen this before, it's not unique on early RFC motors. Note the motor concerned is a Mk3...(skinny tyres & round vent axia fan housings) I believe when RFC was first introduced the air ducting outlets were simply blanked off, then later removed completely on series production. Not seen this set up on a MK6 RFC anyway.

See page 158 of Alvis Saracen Family by Bill Munroe....the HK Police motor also still has the full vents + its RFC kit.

Note also the size & shape of the RFC front baffle plate on the Aden motor.....these were considerably deeper on Mk6. Interestingly though the HK Police motor has the deeper baffle too.

Howard.

Hi Howard,

It is funny how having worked on a lot of Saracens when they were in service, I had not thought about the ducting. It was only when I got working on them again when in private ownership that awareness of these details was raised when owners decided to remove the cowling on the front because it spoilt the good looks, this resulted in overheating vapour locks, etc. Lots of tales to tell about this.

regards, Richard

To my understanding, 'vapour lock' is when petrol evaporates into a vapour within the fuel line that runs between the pump, and the carb, thus causing a sort of 'air-lock' which the pump cannot overcome, as the vapour is compressable, and fluid petrol isn't...... caused by high temperatures in the engine bay, either from hot running ie. RFC without front shroud fitted, or from 'heat-soak'..... switching off, and leaving vehicle with engine hatches shut, residual build-up of heat in confined space, causing said vapour lock, ....-in my case it was aggrevated by low oil level in fluid flywheel, increasing already high ambient temperature from the boiling hot day I was driving on....

I think the designers were relying on the cooling effect of the fresh fuel flowing at a copious rate to keep the fuel pipe mentioned cooler.... I can see how it would work, but not in private ownership, and having to pay for our fuel at todays evil prices!. I'm gonna look at re-routing the fuel line and insulate it against heat.....:-\

that makes sense, thanks for the description.

On the subject of heat, I thought my heat shield above the exhaust manifold was partly missing, but having checked the illustrated parts catalogue I see it isnt. I thought it would stretch the whole way across the length of the entire manifold. As it is, the ht leads going to cylinders 1,2 and 3 are exposed to the manifold for those cylinders.

I suppose the air from the fan is supposed to keep them cooler, but they still heat up pretty quickly. Probably a worthwhile mod to extend the heat shield. What do you think?

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
that makes sense, thanks for the description.

On the subject of heat, I thought my heat shield above the exhaust manifold was partly missing, but having checked the illustrated parts catalogue I see it isnt. I thought it would stretch the whole way across the length of the entire manifold. As it is, the ht leads going to cylinders 1,2 and 3 are exposed to the manifold for those cylinders.

I suppose the air from the fan is supposed to keep them cooler, but they still heat up pretty quickly. Probably a worthwhile mod to extend the heat shield. What do you think?

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Any chance of posting a pic of the heatshield or of the catalogue page? Oily promised a pic of his but my guess is that he is busy. I don't have that particular catalogue and there is no heat shield on my Saracen's manifold, I would have to manufacture one. What material are they made off?

Regards.

Monty.

...sorry Montie, I have got round to it... 1st off went to yard, but left camera at home!!!, but here are the pictures as promised..... you'll see that the heat shield only seems to protect the distributor..... as long as it covers the base area of that you should be ok, as for material, I'd guess that they were originally made from the dreaded asbestos... but I know of a heat reflective material used by race car/rally car/kit-car suppliers which moulds into compound curves and is safe, ie non-asbestos, I'll send info/pic of it, seperately....hope the pics help...:-D

Saracen Heatshield4.jpg

Saracen Heatshield2.jpg

Saracen Heatshield3.jpg

I've also discovered that I now have to weld up 2 rather large holes in the base of the exhaust silencer...... when I have it'll be SOOOOOO! quiet!...... as it's very quiet, even with the holes!:shocked: