becoming a saracenier

haybaggerman

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive had this cutting in the files for ages and often wonder the purpose of the large box on the top of these two ACV Saracens, any ideas anyone

Hi Les, love the photos you keep coming up with.

The boxes on top are actually rain catchers, the rainwater funnels straight into the top of the radiator, its the only way you can drive for more than 10 miles without overheating:)

Only works in wet weather though.

Cheers

Paul

ha! funny one that!... if you look at the front of the leading one, it has 'L' plates. My educated guess is, they are not in a tactical situation, but possibly a load of learner drivers out on Driver-Training, Cross-Country. Eight or nine trainees, with all their kit takes up a lot of room, hence the need for extra stowage, -a hastily fabricated box, mounted above roof panel.....Well that's what I reckon....

These were given to me as tiny contact prints so i have taken a chance and enlarged them to see the results, i think the venue is one of the Aldersot military shows in the early 1970s

Hi Les,

You should include these photos in the Saracen gallery too, they are excellent!

In amongst the cutiings to file were these two from a 1950s magazine, one is a demonstration of a infantry company deployment the other is Field Marshall Lord Harding the then new colonel of the Life Guards taking the salute in Great Winsor Park

Great photos Les, thankyou.

Are the infantry camera shy, they seem to be running away

Quite pleased tonight. I've got the intercom in and working now so road ready at last.

My thanks to Toolman for his advice, picked up a clansman outfit and connected it to a 24v supply to one of the old larkspur boxes.

I'm particularly pleased to have found that when I switch on the 24v at the old larkspur box, the remaining larkspur crewboxes light up red bulbs. The saracen now looks like an armoured brothel!!!:)

Paul

Crackin period pictures...thanks for sharing those. On the contact prints that looks like a Cent BARV in the background......funkeeee.

And the other one in Cumbria, is that a Lada going the other way? (brave soul going down hill in a Lada).....still, if you can't take the Saracen to Russia, bring a little Russian to the Saracen.

tootle pip

H

Yes, it was a shelter for the job-the chap the other side of the Sarry is a good mate of mine who was a L/Cpl in our L.A.D.

Yes Richard, well spotted. I believe HRH was Hon. Colonel of one of the R.Y. Sqns. (Not 'A')

I am getting there, there are more pictures to come!

I have a picture taken in Germany on Crusader 80, of our Saracen Ambulance (amongst other vehicles) I've posted it on the 'Wot? No Saracen Gallery' thread, but the picture is too small - I Must try harder.

Chas.

Edited by ChasSomT.
'Link' added

Be patient please, my first time trying to post pictures.

Believed to be Cumbria, Sept(?) 1981, 'A' RY

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32721[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32720[/ATTACH]

The first one for haybaggerman.

I've got So much to learn about posting pictures, sorry.

pencil.png

Hi Chas,

Thanks a great deal for the pics! Shows what a little pressure can do:cool2:

I seem to miss the pic for haybaggerman's Saracen, although other guys seems to have it:???

moz-screenshot-26.pngMontie, that's wierd, you not getting the first picture. It was a closeup of the front of an ACV being worked on, but showing the BSA gennie on the right wing.

Like your comment about 'pressure' !

I will try again from the other computer.

Hi Chas,

Appreciated!