becoming a saracenier

haybaggerman

Right,

Finally got grudging approval from wife, kids supportive, although the twins are only 11 months old they are bound to be saying yes, my three year old daughter is a fan of the ferret already. So, I'm going to look at a saracen tomorrow. Its from a seller well known down here so I'm buying with confidence. It was built in the 1950's as well so should be okay on the driving licence side, just depends on doing a deal really.

However, seeing as I'm having a good look first, what things am I looking out for? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, seeing as I'm having a good look first, what things am I looking out for? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

A potential HUGE fuel bill!...(4MPG) :-D

Yes, but I'll offset that by driving from A to B in a straight line instead of going around things like fields, houses, that sort of thing.

Andy's story here is a useful place to start...

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~dgrev/dhmg/andjef.html

Hi Sirhc

Good link, thankyou

He seems to have had alot of problems, working on these things is a nightmare then, but then he is doing about 1000 miles per year, I might do 50. Still, thanks for the heads up.

But, if I worried too much about these things I wouldn't have a ferret, and thats been the best thing I ever bought outside of business

Cheers

Paul

Being quite frank I would stay away from the Saracen. I think you will open a new chapter in your learning of the realm of confined space mechanics. While im sure everyone who owns them will say they are a doddle I kind of feel that is a large amount of bravado based on the "ive bought a shed but wont admit it" line.

I think there are far more supportable MVs to own as far as mechanics and parts supply with just as much sex appeal.

Just my opinion

R

Being quite frank I would stay away from the Saracen. I think you will open a new chapter in your learning of the realm of confined space mechanics. While im sure everyone who owns them will say they are a doddle I kind of feel that is a large amount of bravado based on the "ive bought a shed but wont admit it" line.

I think there are far more supportable MVs to own as far as mechanics and parts supply with just as much sex appeal.

Just my opinion

R

Hi Robin

Thankyou, any honest opinion is greatly appreciated. I thought about your comments whilst balancing on one foot on a chair trying to mend a leak in my airingcuboard tonight, trying to use a mirror to see what I was spannering, confined spaces eh? I imagine a gearbox going would be a nightmare and something I wouldn't have time to even get to for a long time.

As far as sex appeal is concerned, I'm not sure you get more for your money than a saracen.

Anyway, didn't get to see it today, one worker not at work so I couldn't get away, also, my little girl commenced throwing up last night and continued this morning. Will try again tomorrow.

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

I guess a lot depends on your desired level of adventure as far as maintenance goes and the depth of your pockets and the size of your workshop and your storage.

There is a father and son team in Toronto who as complete newbies to MV ownership with gobs of cash bought a Saracen just over a year ago.

I am slowly watching the machine go from a runner to a project vehicle as they dont keep it indoors in our winters, prefering to use the self destructing ubiquitous blue tarpaulins.

They barely have a 3/8" drive socket set let alone anything bigger.

They dont have a proper workshop.

I have tried to steer them along to HMVF but have yet to see them appear here although he was once on the AFV Soc forum for a while.

Sadly I think it is going to go downhill and has become unloved. Thats always my biggest fear, they loose interest and cant admit its too much for them and parts are hard to source.

Being in the UK you have it easy by miles compared to us in the colonies. The nearest CVRW Fox to me on this side of the pond is three time zones westwards, and you think UK is far to travel around to get help and parts.

I see you own a Green Godess, so im guessing the Sadcan may be for you, my advice, is buy now while there is a glut of discretionary toys on the market, as always happens in a down turn of the economy. I would also start vacuuming up every spare part I could ever need as items do dissapear over time. Even used assemblies are worth storing properly for rebuild later.

Have you thought about tracked armour? A CVRT Spartan is very likeable and easy to work on, a fave of mine.

R

i would of thought anything tacked would be alot harder on the pockets and need far more maintainance? spares aren't a problem.

some people do get something that is over their head but this is something that happens everywhere not only in this hobby.ive owned my saracen for eight years and had problems but anyone who owns this type of kit has to be abit cuckoo..lol

Paul,

I guess a lot depends on your desired level of adventure as far as maintenance goes and the depth of your pockets and the size of your workshop and your storage.

There is a father and son team in Toronto who as complete newbies to MV ownership with gobs of cash bought a Saracen just over a year ago.

I am slowly watching the machine go from a runner to a project vehicle as they dont keep it indoors in our winters, prefering to use the self destructing ubiquitous blue tarpaulins.

They barely have a 3/8" drive socket set let alone anything bigger.

They dont have a proper workshop.

I have tried to steer them along to HMVF but have yet to see them appear here although he was once on the AFV Soc forum for a while.

Sadly I think it is going to go downhill and has become unloved. Thats always my biggest fear, they loose interest and cant admit its too much for them and parts are hard to source.

Being in the UK you have it easy by miles compared to us in the colonies. The nearest CVRW Fox to me on this side of the pond is three time zones westwards, and you think UK is far to travel around to get help and parts.

I see you own a Green Godess, so im guessing the Sadcan may be for you, my advice, is buy now while there is a glut of discretionary toys on the market, as always happens in a down turn of the economy. I would also start vacuuming up every spare part I could ever need as items do dissapear over time. Even used assemblies are worth storing properly for rebuild later.

Have you thought about tracked armour? A CVRT Spartan is very likeable and easy to work on, a fave of mine.

R

Thanks Robin,

I'm lucky in a way in that I run a business based on our farm, so, lots of outdoor room, hopefully putting up more indoor storage over the next 3 months too, we have two and a half forklifts and a handler for heavy lifting. We have to maintain alot of machinery here, mostly hydraulicaly driven so quite a few tools. The only thing I don't have is an enthusiastic helper with repairs. Lots of people who want rides in these machines, but not when things go wrong......

I definitely want to go into tracked in the future, promised myself a tank for my 40th birthday in case I have a midlife crises, a tank is cheaper than leather trousers and expensive blondes:) However, the current budget is far below what a cvrt would set me back.

Sorry parts are more expensive over there, but still, you live in a beautiful country. Loved my time in Canada years ago.

Cheers

Paul

Right, deal done, I'm now the owner of a mk 5 saracen acv.

Strange really, it was alot bigger on the outside than I remembered, but alot smaller on the inside than I remembered too. .

Feeling like I've bitten off too much but that always passes. Still, shouldn't be too much to do for a while, it is being sold up and running, on the button with new batteries and a paint job:)

Beginning to get excited now

Cheers

Paul

Edited by haybaggerman

Great mate.

When do you think you will be taking delivery :-)

Hey Matt

I don't know, I'm not in too much of a hurry as it's new home hasn't been built yet. A few weeks I'd say at a guess.

Still, I've always got pictures to keep me happy for a while.

Cheers

Paul

well done! looks like you've started off with a good one there!....I promise you'll not regret it!:-D...now get a move on, register it (if it needs it!) and get out on the roads!!!!, (-or off them!!!):cool2: