Wheel nut painting

Simon Daymond

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

L and R , indeed , very easy to recognize for us , but imagine , doing repairs in the field ,rainy weather , mud, or in the dark , very handy than using diffrent colours for left -right side

It has been told by a veteran !!!

anybody worth his salt can tell a left hand thread from a right hand thread just by looking at it!

Not if it is a capped nut and needs undoing...:sweat:

but then it is on the vehicle, and its LH threads on the Left of the vehicle, RH threads on the right. I thought the percieved problem was with nuts that had been removed, got mixed up with each other, got muddy so you couldn't see the stampings. And my reply relates to that scenario.

Left hand threads on bottled gas are identified by a vee shaped grove turned on a lathe into flats. That would be sensible. It would be easy to see. it would be permanent, unlike paint. Paint seems a very bad idea, especially if it is only used on one hand of the nuts, and not the other.

Edited by antarmike

I'd been told the tale about white L/H nuts as well, by another veteran, so like most things there is no definitive answer.

I'm not painting mine white because I can't be ar*sed!

It would have been more apt to paint the nuts on the right, then you could have the slogan, "White is Right", to remember it by :-D...........sorry, I'm off to bed

• 3 weeks later...

I came across this instruction in the War Diary for HQ GS 2nd Division. It is part of a set of instructions to the brigade A/T companies regarding the towing of the French 25mm A/T gun which was issued to them in early 1940.

It mentions the red split rim nuts and also the introduction of Run-flats.

IMG_0688.jpg

I had a Land Rover Defender 110, 1991 in date. It was in service with RLC Bomb disposal from 1996 -2001, spending all its time before this in storage. It was released straight after it returned from the balklands. I was the first owner since release.

It was released with the Wheel nuts painted white, the hub nuts painted red, the Nato hitch was red, the cover of the electric tow socket was yellow, the fuel cap was red and the front pin that goes in the bumper was red. It never had the red wings though? The rest of the vehicle was Green and black. It had at some point also been white.

So this mal-practice of painting nuts (and other parts of the vehicles) was still apparent in the army in the 90's.

can anyone tell me if this picture looks right, as the old pig has had the toolbox thrown at it , & will be blasted and repainted, so what colour should i paint her olive drap or nato, and do i paint the wheel nuts.?

Paul, I have a large number of pictures of Mk2s on active service . I don't think any of them have white wheel nuts, although a few have a touch of white on the end of the thread. The retaining nuts for the split rims were of course painted red.

White wheel nuts seem to appear once they either end on a plinth or enter private ownership. In fact anything can happen, one example has the wheel nuts painted red & the nuts for the rims are just left green. (Not that I am denying anyone the right to paint the vehicle any combination of colours etc, etc)

Whether you paint it Olive Drab or NATO Green, will depend upon the point in time you wish to depict. I wouldn't bother blasting it, most in service Mk2s were frequently repainted without much time for the niceties of rubbing down old paint. So a repainted Pig with scabby & blistering paintwork underneath would look perfectly authentic.

I would save your money & invest in sorting out your rear axle. If you do want to do a blast & respray then you could treat it to high gloss Deep Bronze Green. This would represent how AFAIK all Mk2s appeared immediately after conversion. If you did that there are some obvious mods that would need to be downgraded or removed.

Just to add confusion to the deal - looking back through some old stuff from 215 RCT (VR) in the early 1970's I find that the rim nuts or the ends of split rings (ala RL) were painted red and the ends of the wheel STUDS were painted white. Not the wheel nuts themselves.......

Filler caps were to be painted either Red (Petrol) or Yellow (Derv)

Towing electrics covers were to be given a coat of the same Yellow as the Derv filler caps.

Towing pintles were to be painted Red - rear and front (where so fitted) as were the securing pins.

Now who's confused by all this :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

thanks clive , olive drap it is.. the blasting well ive just got myself a mobile blasting set up so i want to use it, so if anyone want anything blasting let me know , still having trouble with someone attacking my tyres , both rear wheels are both written off, i expect thay will get brave & start on the front, then thay can play with me & my dog when i catch them..

• 1 month later...

Mid 80's,the painting of tow hitchs red became a big no no.Owing to the fact no one could spot cracks in the metal on tow hitchs.Also land rovers came painted in satin green(not matt) when new from the factory.Plus the practice of undersealing rovers stopped in the mid 80's.