MV's lost in Amsterdam fire...yesterday

Alex van de Wetering

Yesterday morning I saw a big cloud of smoke coming from Amsterdam. In the evening I learnt from the news that a number of sheds were lost.

This morning I learnt that one of the sheds was owned by people of the Dutch Military vehicle club "Keep them Rolling" and that several MV's and tons of spares were lost in the fire. I have heard different stories. some say Jeeps and Dodges, others say Jeeps, a Kubelwagen, Schwimmwagens and an Opel Blitz. :(

Alex

A fire in two storage sheds behind the Haarlemmermeerstation has destroyed all fifteen classic vehicles collected and maintained by the Amsterdam department of Keep Them Rolling — a club that restores and maintains military vehicles from the WWII era.

Very sad.... didn't the same happen in the UK a few years back (MVT Area Storage??)

We have members of keep Them Rolling as forum members... Joris are you a member of KTR??

Goossen Foppen - Chairman Keep Them Rolling by Joris

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=125:goossen-foppen-chairman-keep-them-rolling-by-joris&catid=24:interviews&Itemid=26

Edited by Marmite!!
Link replaced

fire is a killer for sure, insurance can do little I guess to restore these items...although I hope some of them are salvageable...good luck with the project is what I SAY..and its a lesson to us all. Dont underestimate the perils of fire when working with petrol and other inflammable material...very very dangerous, I nearly destroyed my best zil 131 once due to a small petrol leak...very close indeed, luckily someone had a powder fire extinguisher handy and was quick of the mark...

fire is a killer for sure, insurance can do little I guess to restore these items...although I hope some of them are salvageable...good luck with the project is what I SAY..and its a lesson to us all. Dont underestimate the perils of fire when working with petrol and other inflammable material...very very dangerous, I nearly destroyed my best zil 131 once due to a small petrol leak...very close indeed, luckily someone had a powder fire extinguisher handy and was quick of the mark...

Wise words mate ! Its too late to invest in a decent extinquisher after the event ! :sweat:

Unbelievable. Totally gutted for the guys who own these vehicles. It's bad enough loosing ANY vehicle like this, but to loose very rare German vehicles is even worse. These types of vehicles just can't be replaced. You just can't put a price on these vehicles as they are so historically important.

That is one aspect of keeping your vehicle under cover in a third partys premis that worries me. You are totally at the mercy of the owner and whoever else he/she lets storage to.

Very sad indeed.:cry:

If you look at pictures taken of the bikes after the fire at the National Motorcycle Museum a few years it looked like most of the bikes would be total losses, but some amazing work, and admittedly some serious cash , has rescued many of these rare machines. I am sure the Dutch guys will able to rescue something from this sad loss.

• 4 months later...