Modern British Military vehicle

plainmilitary

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The DURO with the RPG was part of the fire power demo held on Salisbury Plain. Like Chris has said it is part of the EOD team, which Regiment I'm not sure. The first DURO picture was taken a few years ago and were part of a Sigs Regiment. Can't remember the name of the comms set-up and not 100% sure if it is still in service.

The Army use all types of Helicopters from all three services. All the pictures below have been taken on Salisbury Plain and show the variaty of different types.

(AAC GAZELLE)

HMVF207.jpg

(AAC LYNX MK7 & MK9)

HMVF214.jpg

HMVF339.jpg

(AAC AH64 LONGBOW APACHE)

HMVF213.jpg

(AAC GRIFFEN)

HMVF209.jpg

(RAF PUMA)

HMVF210.jpg

(RAF MERLIN)

HMVF211.jpg

(RAF CHINOOK)

HMVF464.jpg

HMVF465.jpg

(RN COMMANDO)

HMVF208.jpg

(RN SEAKING)

HMVF212.jpg

So thats about it, I'm sure I have missed a bit here and there which I will post as and when I find the disks. May I just take this moment to thank all the MODs on the HMVF forum for allowing me to post the modern kit up. Anyone wishing to know more about Plain Military and what we do can visit my home pages.

http://plain-military.tripod.com/

http://plamill.tripod.com//index.html

All the best.

Tony.

Edited by plainmilitary

Thought I would tag this link onto this thread as it has something to do with Salisbury Plain. From time to time we get over sea's troops on the ranges and some of there vehicles. We have had everything from Yanky M1s, Bradleys, 113s to Danish Eagles and Mowags. Just lately we have had a fair few Dutch troops over with Leaperd recovery, M577s, Mogs, G-wagons and tonnes of trucks. The Dutch gunners have been here with 109s, 120mm mortars and A/Tk. The belgian Army have also been here with a few bits M113s, and Volvos. Please feel free to have a look.

All the best.

Tony.

http://plainmilitaryvisitor.tripod.com/index.html

In the eleventh photo it would seem the crew enjoyed a very through mud bath . Great looking vehicles , especially the engineering models.

Apart from various Cyprus interludes, 15/19H spent 1976 - 77 on Salisbury Plain. I can tell you that even after the driest summer since records began, all our vehicles quickly looked like that, but it was chalk dust finer than the finest talc which stuck to everything, an inch or more thick in places. Worse, there was a hosepipe ban and we never got to wash down our CVR(T)s.

1. I have a suspicion that the Sultan 00GE17 might have belonged to 15/19H between 1979 and 1984, either as 0C, the Command Troop Int Cell ACV or as one of the FHQ ACVs (2A, 2B, 3A, 3B).

2. I surprised to see 03FD20 on a Scimitar. I have never before seen a vehicle in the range 02FDxx - 03FDxx that wasn't a Scorpion, whose numbers ran into 04FDxx, after which followed the Scimitars. Is this a Scorpion hull that was rebuilt as a Scimitar? I have never heard of this happening before. I do remember being caught out during a Balkans War when I saw a 02FDxx registration on the news, told the family it was a Scorpion, then the camera panned out to show what looked like a Scimitar that had fallen victim to headhunters, at which point I learned about Sabre. This certainly doesn't look to me like a Sabre (but I cannot be certain) and surely, if they are all now in private hands, this picture would not belong in this thread?

Probably wrong as usual.

2. I surprised to see 03FD20 on a Scimitar. I have never before seen a vehicle in the range 02FDxx - 03FDxx that wasn't a Scorpion, whose numbers ran into 04FDxx, after which followed the Scimitars. Is this a Scorpion hull that was rebuilt as a Scimitar? I have never heard of this happening before. I do remember being caught out during a Balkans War when I saw a 02FDxx registration on the news, told the family it was a Scorpion, then the camera panned out to show what looked like a Scimitar that had fallen victim to headhunters, at which point I learned about Sabre. This certainly doesn't look to me like a Sabre (but I cannot be certain) and surely, if they are all now in private hands, this picture would not belong in this thread?

Probably wrong as usual.

A number of Sabre hulls were bought by ABRO to replace Scimitar hulls which were beyond repair. After 30+ years of front line use, they are quite worn out. As far as I know 1/2 the Sabres went to Withams, the rest were used for spares.

A number of Sabre hulls were bought by ABRO to replace Scimitar hulls which were beyond repair. After 30+ years of front line use, they are quite worn out. As far as I know 1/2 the Sabres went to Withams, the rest were used for spares.

I thought it must be something like that. Cheers.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Very chuffed to spot this in this thread today:

HMVF455.jpg

as I work on 87KD11, which was also a Ptarmigan Radio Relay :D Ours was from 22 Sigs, can't spot the windscreen sticker on that one though. It does share a layer of desert paint under the green though!

Stone

Superb, really enjoyed those. Got yerself a one man gallery there....as someone else mentioned I did`nt realise we had so much flash kit.

Good to see MKs, 8 tonners & 432s still being counted as "modern" though:thumbsup:

Have to stand up & wak around a bit now....sandbag has sent my bum to sleep.:nut:

H

• 2 weeks later...