Coast

Smithy

What a fantastic programme this is. I don't know if anyone else has seen it but the last few weeks have had quite a military link to them.

First off, I didn't realise that just off the Kent coast there were five/six steel structures which used to have anti-aircraft guns on them.

Then the next episode saw them cross over the channel to Normandy where Dick Strawbridge was in a halftrack on the beaches. :yay::-D

What a fantastic programme this is. I don't know if anyone else has seen it but the last few weeks have had quite a military link to them.

First off, I didn't realise that just off the Kent coast there were five/six steel structures which used to have anti-aircraft guns on them.

::-D

Here's more...The Redsand Fort project, who are restoring the forts

http://www.youtube.com/user/maxdreamstate

Edited by Nick Johns

• 2 weeks later...

In the Normandy coast episode Dick mentioned that the issue on that beach was the presence of peat just below the sandy top layer. We probably all know about the problem of blue clay which was overcome by using Bobbin AVRE's, rolling out a canvas carpet, but I have not seen any reference to peat patches in the books which I have read. In those books I have come across the Roly Poly AVRE which appears to have used small diameter trees linked with wire to form a log carpet.

Would this be used to provide the runway over the peat?

In the Normandy coast episode Dick mentioned that the issue on that beach was the presence of peat just below the sandy top layer. We probably all know about the problem of blue clay which was overcome by using Bobbin AVRE's, rolling out a canvas carpet, but I have not seen any reference to peat patches in the books which I have read. In those books I have come across the Roly Poly AVRE which appears to have used small diameter trees linked with wire to form a log carpet.

Would this be used to provide the runway over the peat?

I was thinking the same. It certainly was interesting to see how by going down less then a foot Peat suddenly appeared as the foundation of the beach!!!