REO or GMC

I am looking to get a truck to transport my ranger display and tent etc as my dayvan is too small.I have a ww2 jeep so know I should be looking at gmc's But I saw a number of REOS where I was camped next to the vietnam lot and I have fallen in love they look and sound even better but realise the REO wouldnt go with the jeep.Whats better?

Picture 087.jpg

Having a REO will exclude you from some camps not being WWII, but should be cheaper to run.

Multifuel / Diesel engine should work out a lot cheaper than shoving petrol in a Jimmy. Being more modern should mean better reliability and parts availability. They do sound very nice with the whistling turbo but not sure how that'd go down on a long journey.

If you were looking for the truck to work for a living, or do long milages, then a diesel / multifuel M series would be the thing.

To go with the jeep, for a little light use and local running, a good CCKW.

Gordon

I sold my jimmy and have now got an M35, they drive very similarly but the M35 is more powerful and quicker. There is a lot of transmission noise with the GMC but the Reo is much noisier whether its a whistler or a growler you need to wear hearing protection as the exhaust is unsilenced.

Parts price and availability is much better on the GMC, MPG figures are similar but if you get a multifuel Reo and can find a source of contaminated fuel then obviously the Reo fuel cost can be reduced to virtually zero. Hope this helps.

I like the RE0. I saw a few of them stuck in storage at Lakenheath last month waiting for disposal. They all seem to be using the Stuart and Stevenson FMTV series of trucks now.

Getting back on topic. I would say GMC in keeping with the display.:thumbsup:

any idea when these trucks will be desposed of and who by, i hope they don't just go for scrap

I dont know who deals with disposal now. It used to be under the Defence reutilization program. And all vehicles were disposed of by aution at RAF Molesworth. With Molesworth gone i dont if the program is still in place or where the are sold from.

I dont know who deals with disposal now. It used to be under the Defence reutilization program. And all vehicles were disposed of by aution at RAF Molesworth. With Molesworth gone i dont if the program is still in place or where the are sold from.

i hope they end up in a sale and don't go to the scrap yard as so many others do, thanks for your help

GMC - will change your life forever. REO's are a big vehicle and you have to be mindfull of that. And owners tend to keep revving the bloomin things just to get the turbo to whilst...starts to drive me nuts in a very short period of time!

A GMC fits perfectly with what you do.......

GMC - will change your life forever. REO's are a big vehicle and you have to be mindfull of that. And owners tend to keep revving the bloomin things just to get the turbo to whilst...starts to drive me nuts in a very short period of time!

A GMC fits perfectly with what you do.......

GMC's don't come quieter than Jack's one:coffee:

I sold my jimmy and have now got an M35, they drive very similarly but the M35 is more powerful and quicker. There is a lot of transmission noise with the GMC but the Reo is much noisier whether its a whistler or a growler you need to wear hearing protection as the exhaust is unsilenced.

Parts price and availability is much better on the GMC, MPG figures are similar but if you get a multifuel Reo and can find a source of contaminated fuel then obviously the Reo fuel cost can be reduced to virtually zero. Hope this helps.

I hate to sound like a party pooper........... but isn't contaminated fuel usage restricted to off road use? Surely if you used it on public roads, then the "Diesel dippers" would rub their hands with glee if you were stopped. I imagine you would drain out the white diesel when you arrive at a show, and then run on anything available.

As a person with limited knowledge of 'Multi fuel engines" will it run on spirit, or is it only fuel oils that can be used? :)

I hate to sound like a party pooper........... but isn't contaminated fuel usage restricted to off road use? Surely if you used it on public roads, then the "Diesel dippers" would rub their hands with glee if you were stopped. I imagine you would drain out the white diesel when you arrive at a show, and then run on anything available.

As a person with limited knowledge of 'Multi fuel engines" will it run on spirit, or is it only fuel oils that can be used? :)

Contam doesn't usualy contain Red... just petrol/diesel mix on which the duty has already been paid... if it does contain red then you would be breaking the law..

Presumably, you wouldn't be able to use contaminated fuel containing kerosene either as this carries a "Marker" like gas oil or red diesel. While kero looks like road diesel, it could be detectable if it contains more than one percent in the mix........... or so we are told.

Apparently the only undetectable addative in road diesel is Bio. :)

Multi fuel engines will run on diesel, petrol or aviation fuel or any mix of these fuels. Aviation petrol can't be used presumably due to having too high an octane rating.

Not all multifuel engines will run on petrol or a petrol mix. My recollection of the Bedford MK was that it was only designed for diesel or aviation kerosene (AVTUR) to be used. There may be other makes of engine like this also.

Yes I think you're right on the MK Richard and I think adjustments had to be made to the timing depending on type of fuel used. This doesn't apply to the American engines built by Continental and Hercules which seem to have been much more successful having had a production run of over 20 years and a service life of 50 years plus but of course for most of that time I suppose they will only have been run on straight diesel fuel.

We had to test military vehicles on JP8, can be used in a standard diesel engine (not legally on road as no duty paid) but needs a lubrication filter to keep pump etc alive. High sulphur content in it bad for EGR type engines (not applicable to old stuff I guess) as the exhaust emissions recirculated in cold ambients will turn to sulphuric acid when it condenses in the cylinder bores and rapid engine deterioration occurs. Nowadays I believe a lot of US kit uses JP8 (aviation fuel).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Definitely a Reo. I LOVE these trucks. Try and get an M109A2 workshop varient.

Note of caution. Although most of these engines are multifuel, they aren't designed to run on it all the time. They are designed to run on this sort of fuel if no other is available and the crap hits the fan. Regular diesel should be used if at all possible. My mate's got a M109 and his engine failed after extensive use of this fuel. The petrol tends to blow past the rings and end up in the sump oil where it dilutes and siezes the engine. Bio fuel has it's own problems, perishing the rubber seals in the fuel pump and fuel system.

I think they are good for 10+mpg and the LDT465-1C engine is good for about 140BHP. I think the -1D's fitted with the "growler" turbo are good for about 190BHP.

I've got a full set of CD-ROM's for the 2.5 and 5ton trucks that I ordered from the US.

Edited by LoggyDriver

My truck is fitted with the 1D 'growler' and is 140 BHP same as the 1C.

Apparently, from reading the forum devoted to 'M' series vehicles, they can be opened up to give more power but I have no intention of doing this.