SatNav - which one?

Jack

I know we had this conversation some time back but now in the market for one...but which one? To much blooming choice from what I can see.

This is what I need:

Something easy to use

And has EU maps.

Cheers,

Jack

Mark and Mark - watch it!!

I am getting bored of trying to read a map, eating a bag of crisps, on my mobile and trying to drive all at the same time. Weakness's came to light last year when we went to Ciney, and had to get diverted off our route, late at night in the fog. Asked directions of a Belgium guy who couldn't speak a word of English (lazy bugger) - he was in his shop behind the counter, p*ssed so it didn't go to well.......

On the way back Kev MADE me take the wrong turn for ferry (we still beat Jim and Jason to it thou).

I am getting to old now to read maps - I need to take it easy.

Thanks for your help everyone! (apart from Mark and Mark).

Another option, if you have a Blackberry phone you can subscribe for about £50 and get maps on there. This saves you having to plug in another device and hide it everytime you leave the vehicle.

Cheers Paul. I have one but reckon a dedicated unit is better and cheaper!

Look for 1) Range of maps already on the unit. 2) Does the unit have traffic update facility, this can instantally re-direct you around jams. 4 ) Cost and ease of any updates in the future. 5) Options to select routes, some of our old kit don't like three hundred miles on a motorway. Tom Tom may be the market leader, but that don't make them the best.

I have a TomTom XL (one with the wide screen).

Found Screwfix was the cheapest and PC world the most expensive when I got mine.

Seems to work well in all my MV's, and the internal battery lasts a long time, making things easier in vehicles where no suitable charging power is available.

yep ordinary map and the mk1 eyeball, (batterys wont fail, oops, what am I saying!!!!:cool2:)

Mark :cool:

Heh!!! Enroute to the Powder Mills in 2007 we followed some one navigating via the Mk 1 eyeball - and I can tell you there is one lady in that area driving a black Range Rover who probably had to change her underwear and disinfect the cars interior after meeting a Stalwart going in the other direction down a lane just wide enough for the Stalwart wheel having passed the navigating persons Landrover.........

At least Splat Nav gives you a chance to see what class road it's about to take you down and abort if necessary!!!! :)

A few points about Satnav in MVs. Use a good connection DIRECT to battery, or even better use a rechargable satnav. Older vehicles can have very high electrical noise, and wide supply voltages. Keep the unit out of hot, wet, high vibration locations. Make sure the unit is easy to see, and operate but not in the way of your vision.

As the signal from the sats are very small, use an external antenna. The signal getting to you is like amount of heat felt on earth, from 3 two bar electric fires on the moon. Less than 100th of a 100000th of a watt! So wet canvas, steel, ali, wet leaves, camo nets, etc will all stop the signal. Place as high and clear as you can get, as some sats are low on the horizon.

If you have a high noise vehicle (don't we all), plug a speaker into the Satnav and have it close to your ear. Don't be tempted to use an earphone.

In 24 volt vehicles, use a proper dropper. Tapping 12 volt from one battery can produce a nice electric fire!

Mrs rambo bought me a tom tom, the only thing it's any good for is speed cameras!

It trys to send me up one way streets/no right/left turn etc etc. Thier maps are so out of date!

Do a quick search on 't Internat lad - you can pick up the up-to-date maps quite easily!! Or, if feeling rich with unspent fuel money, you can get them direct from TomTom!! :)

I use a Pro-Nav now

http://www.pronav.co.uk/

It's quite good, you can put in the sizes of your vehicle and it will route accordingly and as I write this it has never sent me down a winding dead end lane with an artic....yet, it can also be used as a normal car prat-nav if you wish. Price is good too I thought, especially compared to other HGV models.

Regards

Richard