Scammell Crusader Gallery

Herewith a picture of my Crusader CR 6x4. The last remain Crusader tractor of BAOR in germany I believe. He is LHD and I use him to transport my SALADIN to and from any military event in bavaria. I bought him direct from MOD at Mönchengladbach in 2004. He was a part of the 617Sqn. 7th tank transport regiment at HAMM and with operation teltic at the first gulf war around BASRA.

Last year I spended him some fast rear axles and now he is able to reach a speed of 55 miles/h. Enough for german Autobahn. Next I like to paint him in glossy DBG.

1169300.jpg

This picture was shot after I purchased him from MOD

1169301.jpg

Sometimes he is very usefull to recover Bundeswehr trucks out of the mud :-D

1169298.jpg

Now as my SALADIN transporter with Langendorf Trailer and a 6ton concrete-load weight for propper pulling.

Herewith a picture of my Crusader CR 6x4. The last remain Crusader tractor of BAOR in germany I believe. He is LHD and I use him to transport my SALADIN to and from any military event in bavaria. I bought him direct from MOD at Mönchengladbach in 2004. He was a part of the 617Sqn. 7th tank transport regiment at HAMM and with operation teltic at the first gulf war around BASRA.

Last year I spended him some fast rear axles and now he is able to reach a speed of 55 miles/h. Enough for german Autobahn. Next I like to paint him in glossy DBG.

Hi Roland, did you use the axles from a recovery?

Mike

Thanks gents. I got a brand new set of crownwheels and pinions from John Riley rileymilitary@talktalk.net for 900,- GBP + package. The work was done in one week (1 person job). Only the measures and reassemble of the differentials was done from a local truck shop.

I make some pictures of the working steps - hope it is with interest:

All four hubcaps removed and the driveshafts pulled

1171046.jpg

That is the new crownwheel set

1171047.jpg

The second rear axle

1171048.jpg

The first rear axle, driveshaft removed

1171050.jpg

Through drive shaft (of first differential )

1171051.jpg

One of the dismounted differential heads with the crownwheel and pinion.

1171052.jpg

The empty first rear axle.

1171053.jpg

A new set of pinion bearings for the first axle and a complete oil change was needed.

My crusader need some more time to reach the top speed. 10 gears shifting is not as fast as automatic drive of MAN, Mercedes or Scania - but makes me more fun :-D

Edited by Roland

10 gears shifting is not as fast as automatic drive of MAN, Mercedes or Scania - but makes me more fun :-D

Roland - see you at the Hi/Lo and Splitter Group socials maybe? We meet in HMVF Clubhouse bar second Wednesday each month and play tunes on old crash boxes :thumbsup:

Nice post Roland, thanks for the mention regarding the supply of the high speed crown wheels and pinnions. I have not even started to fit my own set yet !

John Riley

If it is the recovery ratios you are going for Terry Ainger has a pair of complete axles for a similar price which would be a good source of spares for the future. You can find his ad in the mart section on the Scammell Register site.

The crusader CR 6x4 tractor (Mil and Civ) has a maximum speed of 39,2 mph at 2100 rpm. Ratio is 7.856:1.

Originaly the recovery crusader has a rear ratio of 6.562:1 and a top speed of 48,2 mph (78 km/h). With a set of bigger wheels (MAN rims 22,5" will fit) you can top the speed to 50 mph. The free space of the rear suspension not allow more bigger ones.

To reach the todays trucking high speed is to fit the crown wheel set (or complete axles) of the civilian crusader/amazon for international trucking use.

That´s the ratio 5.68:1 (Leyland part no. 41736314/5) ore even better 5.20:1 (41738895/6). Only with it (on original wheels 11.00x20) you are able to reach 55-60 mph at 2100-2300 rpm.

I see you too have done your research Roland, I believe the 5.68 and 5.2:1 were used on the Leyland Marathon 6x4 which had the same rear bogie.

The Amazon (CR100) axles are completely different and are essentially from the lightweight Contractor, using Panhard rods for lateral location.

Now I know the different between Crusader and Amazon - thank you radiomike7.

Long time I believed that there is no or little different and Amazon were only a new name for an up- or downgraded Crusader.

Some times ago I asked about it here in HMVF - but I got no answer.

So I change my statement and say Crusader/Marathon. :-D

Another question please:

The Crusader tachometer shows no red marking. What is the average safe rev for the RR eagle? My engine goes into 2500 rpm, but I´m anxious to let it go over 2100 rpm. In no Scammell or RollsRoyce manual I found an answer.

Edited by Roland

Amazon (CR 100) v Crusader

168" (14ft) v 156" (13ft) wheelbase

12.00 x 20 18 ply v 11.00 x 20 16 ply tyres

8" v 7.5" wheels

RTO 12515 v RTO 915 Fuller gearbox

7.5 ton v 6.5 ton front axle

40 ton v 30 ton max tractor weight

30 ton v 21 ton imposed 5th wheel load

Uprated chassis, lightweight Contractor type rear bogie.

Max governed rpm for the Rolls is usually 2100, the green zone ends at 1600.

From memory, Crusaders were fitted with rev counters as an afterthought in a central pod with an 'off the shelf' type without a red zone.

Mike

Well Done Roland. A very interesting post with some great pictures. As Radiomike7 says, you've certainly done your research.

I have a set of LEYLAND letters off a Crusader if you're still looking for some, but SCAMMELL ones would be much better I think! I will keep a look out for you.

In the meantime, here is a flashback to when Withams had lots of EKA Crusaders available to buy. Where are they now??

scan0006.jpg

I have a set of LEYLAND letters off a Crusader if you're still looking for some, but SCAMMELL ones would be much better I think! I will keep a look out for you.

Whow - thanxs for that nice message ekawrecker - SCAMMELL letters are the best choice for me, sure. But if I can´t get one - LEYLAND will be ok also.

Today I begun to remove all the paint from the cab of my crusader. It´s a lot and dirty work :-(

Some small rusted areas I have to weld I guess. Pictures follow next time.

• 1 month later...

You're doing a great job Roland. I'm not surprised that you are needing to do this work, I've had a Crusader and their cabs are very poorly protected against rust. I'm sure someone on here will be able to advise you about the exhaust part you require.

I need this exhaust part (exhaust-distributor from turbo to pipes) . Do anyone know where I can get it?

Well done Roland, you're very adventurous taking the whole roof panel off!

With regards to the exhaust part you require, I would think it would be quite difficult to find a new one of these. Surely you could buy or make tube and fabricate one yourself as you obviously have a MIG welder, and it would be quite easy compared to the roof?

Keep up the good work.:sweat:

Thanks a lot for your comments. Sure, I can weld the exhaust part by self, but it need´s less time to buy one.

The roof metal work was finished today morning:

Now it´s a Crusader XXL :-)

(Not a 100% restoration I know, but I want a 100% useable lorry for long distance and I like to stand upright in a cab when I change my clothes). Any news about the SCAMMELL Letters?

1318188.jpg

Now it´s a Crusader XXL :-)

(Not a 100% restoration I know, but I want a 100% useable lorry for long distance and I like to stand upright in a cab when I change my clothes). Any news about the SCAMMELL Letters?

Wow, A Crusader 'RoadHaus'! I'd love to see the faces of other truck drivers on the Autobahn as you drive past them.:cool2:

I haven't seen any letters so far, but I'll let you know if and when I do.