WW1 Peerless lorry restoration

Great War truck

You were more fortunate than we were with our International springs. We were unable to obtain replacement leaves of the original dimensions and had to settle for the nearest metric width and thickness, necessitating a little judicious grinding to fit the dumb iron width.

Ian

Some decent weather allowed for some more spring painting. Dad also painted the bottom part of the lamp brackets and mounted them to the chassis, thed dropped in the top part to see how they looked. Tried the spring shackles and front hooks for size. We will soon be ready to put the front axle and wheels on. 

DSCN0005.JPG

DSCN0006.JPG

DSCN0007.JPG

DSCN0008.JPG

DSCN0009.JPG

DSCN0015.JPG

DSCN0023.JPG

DSCN0038.JPG

• Like 4

Both Front Springs have now been successfully hung. It was thought that the first one would be the easiest but that took dad about 1 1/2 days. As he had got the hang of it the second one went on in about 1 1/2 hours. The Spanish Windlass held it in position whilst he slipped the pin in. Next job will be the rear springs but that might require some assistance.

DSCN0018.JPG

DSCN0020.JPG

DSCN0021.JPG

DSCN0022.JPG

DSCN0023.JPG

DSCN0024.JPG

DSCN0026.JPG

DSCN0027.JPG

DSCN0031.JPG

DSCN0032.JPG

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Citroman said:

Maybe a dumb idea but laying the springs on the floor and lower the chassis on to them with a jack?

Thanks for that suggestion but really I think that it is a job that can wait until the "Heavy Gang" arrives from up north rather than one 80-year struggling to do it on his own! Plenty of other stuff to get on with in the meantime!

20 minutes ago, nz2 said:

For lifting into place the rear springs, can the engine lifter  fit into the confined space  available?

Doug 

Thanks for the suggestion Doug - it would all be very tight - much easier for me to wait for the others! Plenty of stuff to get on with and which has to be done in any case!

I am thoroughly enjoying watching this restoration, (as I have with the previous ones).  I don't suppose you have any spare front or rear hooks.  I have never been able to find any in Australia for my 1916 Albion. The closest I came to a set was on a Thornycroft J type wreck near Sale in Victoria, but when I went to get them the remains had been scrapped. It was far beyond restoration with the chassis completely rusted through and missing the engine and front axle.  This black and white photo is what I started with with my Albion, chassis number:- 361A. This is how it finished up after about 5,000 hours of work.  Thanks and keep up the good work.

DSCN0015.thumb.JPG.99f2a4c7187dc60f7594986af2f6f266.jpg

111.jpg

IMGP5162.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lynx42 Rick Cove said:

I am thoroughly enjoying watching this restoration, (as I have with the previous ones).  I don't suppose you have any spare front or rear hooks. 

The Peerless[1] hooks look very specific to the width of the Peerless. What did the Albion hooks look like? 

The Dennis hooks were mounted to the chassis, rather than the spring shackle (at least on the fire engines, possibly not on the subsidy trucks)

https://images.app.goo.gl/jobbBr2YnD3wCFe77

I would imagine it would be fairly easy to cast some hooks in iron that would look exactly right, if not necessarily perform to original specification. 

(The chap in the above photo is a regular here, though I am not sure he has been espied that side of the lens before) 

[1] Peer-less seems like a good name for an optician. 

10 hours ago, lynx42 Rick Cove said:

I am thoroughly enjoying watching this restoration, (as I have with the previous ones).  I don't suppose you have any spare front or rear hooks.  I have never been able to find any in Australia for my 1916 Albion. The closest I came to a set was on a Thornycroft J type wreck near Sale in Victoria, but when I went to get them the remains had been scrapped. It was far beyond restoration with the chassis completely rusted through and missing the engine and front axle.  This black and white photo is what I started with with my Albion, chassis number:- 361A. This is how it finished up after about 5,000 hours of work.  Thanks and keep up the good work.

I am so sorry but we do not have any spare hooks - the last old chassis that we found had none fitted - another of our friends came here looking for Hooks for his Thorny some time ago and commented then that the dimensions of our Peerless ones were quite different from what he wanted in any case. So sorry!

Tony

Edited by Minesweeper

I don't want to hijack your great restoration thread, but thank you for your prompt replies to my quest for hooks for my Albion.  Yes, they are quite different to the Peerless ones. Both the front and rear Albion ones are interchangeable I think and bolt to the outside of the chassis rails. They look like they are interchangeable left to right as well.  Thanks again and keep up the good work.

IMG_4696.jpg

IMG_4680.jpg

a10_a12_a16_12815.jpg

Dad managed to get that worn-out Bush out of the Back Spring. Fortuitously, he has a piece of 1.75" Diam Bronze Tube in stock for a new one which he picked up some years ago at a local Tool Shop - 8" length for just £4 - a bargain. He knew that one day it would be useful!

DSCN0069.JPG

DSCN0071.JPG

DSCN0072.JPG

• Like 2