WW1 Peerless lorry restoration

Great War truck

When we took over this lorry with its quantity of spares, there was one set of Transmission Brake Drums in the selection of spares that came with the lorry. Each Brake Drum comes in two halves and they have to be bolted together when they are fitted to the Jack shaft. They were partially dismantled when we obtained them but had since rusted together again. Todays task was to get them apart, clean up the bolting faces so that they could be bolted together for sand blasting and almost certainly then for skimmimg.

DSCN0352.JPG

DSCN0353.JPG

DSCN0357.JPG

DSCN0359.JPG

• Like 3

Some painting done today of some of the previously primed bits so that they are now in undercoat, but as a diversion, we started to look at the Radiator which is in very poor condition. We do in fact have two - we found a second one in California when we there on holiday a few years ago. That one has Aluminium, tanks and side supports whilst the one that came with the lorry has iron top and bottom tanks, one iron side support and one alumnium.
The Firm of W.J.Barkus made spares for Peerless and other Makes after the war when the lorries were being used by civilian companies and the back of the iron top tank has "W D Peerless" cast into it and it seems very possible that during its civilian life, original aluminium parts were replaced with Barkus parts. We shall probably never know for sure.
The core on the one that came with lorry is absolutely finished and we will have to make a new core but we wait now with baited breath to see the inside condition of the tanks on both radiators. We are hoping that the iron one will be fairly sound inside but if the aluminium one is anything like the one on the Dennis, then that will have had it too. We have started to strip the iron one down but that is not going to give in without a fight! We think that we have now found out what the correct Radiator Cap should look like and that will be something else to make up.

DSCN0363.JPG

DSCN0364.JPG

DSCN0366.JPG

DSCN0374.JPG

DSCN0378.JPG

DSCN0383.JPG

Top Tank of the Iron Radiator now removed - after the usual fight with rusty nuts and bolts. Looks as if a mouse has had a nest inside it at some time. The fittings removed from it and put to one side. It was painted over at some time without any cleaning or de-rusting done so it looks very sad. If the core of the Californian Radiator is sound, we shall probably use that one - decision on that when that one is stripped.

DSCN0386.JPG

DSCN0387.JPG

DSCN0389.JPG

DSCN0390.JPG

DSCN0393.JPG

DSCN0394.JPG

DSCN0396.JPG

DSCN0399.JPG

DSCN0400.JPG

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Zuffen said:

After years of watching your Posts I've finally seen a train on the tracks.

Good to see it isn't abandoned.

I am sorry that it does not receive a lot of use these days but the little Electric Loco is just right to quickly get out for young people to use if they want to play on the Railway!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cleaned up the Radiator Filler Neck with a wire brush and then Kettle de-scaler - which worked very well. Took the pads off two of the Brake shoes - the easy ones - where the others are very mangled and will call for more work. The thread on the csk screws holding the pads on are 5/16 x 20 another unexpected thread and some replacement csk screws will have to be made as I do not think that they are a commercial item.

DSCN0401.JPG

DSCN0403.JPG

DSCN0404.JPG

DSCN0407.JPG

DSCN0408.JPG

• Like 3

The Steel Spacer Pads have been removed from the bottoms of the Brake Shoes and the old screws removed from the Brake Shoes with threads in the shoes cleaned out. The painting of the last batch of bits has been completed and they are reading for fitting when the time comes

DSCN0409.JPG

DSCN0410.JPG

DSCN0411.JPG

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Zero-Five-Two said:

Do you intend filling the pitting on the radiator top? 

In the past with the other Lorries that we have worked on, we have left the signs of ageing as it was part of the character of the vehicle. This pitting is rather severe and it may well be that when the other two members of the gang have actually arrived back in Devon and have had a look for themselves - and also bearing in mind that the Radiator top tank is really one of the first things  that you focus on when you look at a vehicle, we shall perhaps do something about that. At the moment, our first thoughts are that we shall probably use the other Radiator on this first Peerless as the core on that one seems sound (still to tested) and in which case, we shall just put this corroded one to one side for the moment and use that on the second Peerless when the time comes. The first coat of primer put on yesterday is designed to protect it from any further deterioration in the mean time.

Tim is planning to make a flying visit to Devon on Saturday following the easing of the lock down and with the extra muscle available, perhaps some of the completed bits can be hung on the chasis whilst he is here - I hope so as there is a lot of stuff on the floor at the moment to fall over.

Tony

Edited by Minesweeper
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rootes75 said:

Out of interest, how would you intend to fill the pitting on the radiator top?

In the past, I have just used ordinary two-part Body Filler and there have been no problems with that - but the unknown factor to think about here is rapid temperature change as the Radiator heats up and cools off - I do not know how that will effect things. Some more research and thought about it I think - but Tommo might like to come in on this one at this point.

Tony

5 hours ago, Minesweeper said:

In the past, I have just used ordinary two-part Body Filler and there have been no problems with that - but the unknown factor to think about here is rapid temperature change as the Radiator heats up and cools off - I do not know how that will effect things. Some more research and thought about it I think - but Tommo might like to come in on this one at this point.

Tony

Hi Tony, I was very impressed  with the Belzona 1111, I used on my badly pitted sump. It went rock like very quickly, stuck well and painted over no problem. I commend it to the house !

I have a 1911 Renault and the exhaust manifold has a female thread for attachment of the down pipe.  The thread is almost non existent and obviously a very non standard size.  Does anyone know whether the Pyro Putty mentioned above set hard enough for me to cut466483643_Exhaustmanifold.thumb.JPG.26da31390b1356b7f88301f305229a8d.JPG a viable thread in it?

13 minutes ago, Alastair said:

I have a 1911 Renault and the exhaust manifold has a female thread for attachment of the down pipe.  The thread is almost non existent and obviously a very non standard size.

If it's non-standard then re-cutting it to a slightly larger non-standard size might be an option. 

(I have the technology....  https://youtu.be/i4fTythQj5s?t=60 )