WW1 Peerless lorry restoration

Great War truck

Such as the  'strapped'    G.S. shovel by Bulldog or Spear & Jackson , is the authentic MOD spec. (used on tailgates)  and I don't it has changed.  Forget the inferior pressed steel ones, the forged ones are always dated from WW" era and by several manufacturers (IIRC the pressed steel ones are dated, general issue to all & sundry gov. departments).

https://www.spear-and-jackson.com/products/hand-contractor-tools/contractors-tools/strapped-tools/spear-jackson-strapped-general

What is described as the R.E. Shovel  -   I think that is what is now called - the No. 2 Round Mouth Shovel , ash shafted -  likewise by Bulldog  and S&J + probably Carter. Same  'strapped' with ash T handle.

The no. 2 is the shovel fitted to such as a Hard Top back door , at angle (the bracket bigger than for G.S.) , same bracket used on front wings.

Not come across that type of digging spade branded  MOD  broad-arrow before but a spade is a spade.  I would expect strapped not inferior socket construction, best quality Irish spades are always strapped.

Pick-axe  head, the head may differ slightly on curvature by 1/2"  (you would expect from forging method) ,  I would have to go to garage & measure - I think that is the modern span - so unchanged.

The helve - again I would have to go to garage and measure - I think unchanged.    The metal socket is often dated & older ones are malleable iron.   Modern ones are pressed steel & manufactured now only by Carter.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Surveyor said:

Looking at this does anyone know if the size of the pick handle GS shovel and pick have changed over the years

Nope!  Still 3' for the pick helve and 2'4" and 9" for the shovel GS - within the tolerances of different batches and manufacturers, of course.  The "RE" in Shovel RE, stands for "Round Edge".  It has often been claimed that it stands for "Royal Engineers", but it doesn't, although they are the main user - the shovel GS being the all-arms shovel.

• Like 1

Here's some pics of my pick. The head is dated 1915 and manufacturer was I think J. Yates of Birmingham (Stamp of name is not clear)  The forged helve  socket is marked 'THE HARDY PATENT PICK Co Ld'  1915 SHEFFIELD.   with  'UNIVERSAL 2' on the reverse. 

This pick is a contender for the longest serving pickaxe in the British Army. It was bought from a Military surplus sale in the 70's having had its ash helve replaced (complete with Nato stock no.) This has been fitted to the Hardy's socket. As well as it's 1915 build stamp it also has a very small  WD arrow and a '40' stamped into the front edge. ( Too faint and small to photograph, I did try !)

20200216_144002.thumb.jpg.d5ea651b390548709282aa4d7664065c.jpg

20200216_144053.thumb.jpg.b3abac107878ac1c0995258c01fe828b.jpg

20200216_143843.thumb.jpg.b8acd5ede71969035f5b1af309f0e1dd.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Surveyor said:

Could the number be the quality assurance checker

I suspect that all the stamps were applied by the same rather heavy handed worker, whilst the forging was still very hot. If he was on piece work this would have  kept a tally and also supplied a source in case of complaint. Not neccessary in this case as the pick served about 60 years and would still do a turn today !

4 hours ago, Great War truck said:

Wheels received a second coat of primer and are now in undercoat. Next step is to get them loaded up along with the new tyres and a visit to our friendly tyre press owner.   

Would that be at Woburn Sands or do you have access to one closer to home?

On 2/20/2020 at 11:13 PM, radiomike7 said:

I hadn't noticed the under frame truss with a turnbuckle before, does it have a certain preload?

That is a good question. I would guess at not much more than 'nipped up'. These do have a little tension on them but are seized solid and, as the frame is straight and won't carry any significant load, then we shall leave them alone.

Steve  🙂

You would want the frame to have support even unloaded, so they would have a preload.

Here's a challenge for you Steve.  Next time you are there, ding each side gently with a small hammer and see how they sound.  In theory both sides should make the same note, even after all these years.  

(I'm reminded of Dave Engels in the buggy tyre video above twanging both the steel cables to check they both had the same note.)

Edited by Gordon_M
spelling

Had a productive weekend down in Devon. Dad has finished putting on the first coat of primer, and the back axle is now up on a stand awaiting his attention. We have found the chassis number on the rail - stamped in three places. 014489. I have looked through my various records and have no chassis numbers for Peerless trucks at all. I dont suppose anybody else has this information?

It is interesting to see that the chassis is a great deal shorter (well, maybe about two feet) than the Thornycroft and we can walk behind it - or at least we will be able to access the shelves behind it.

DSCN0136.JPG

DSCN0137.JPG

DSCN0141.JPG

DSCN0143.JPG

• Like 1

The nest step was to look at the bearings. We managed to remove the outer bearings from the front wheels - we all ready had the rears. We looked at what we had in stock and made two good pairs which just required a great deal of cleaning. Paraffin does work wonders. The inner hub surfaces are in good condition and just required a clean up.

We thought that we should have a look through what we have for the rear wheels and found quite a pile in stock. We have cleaned up the rear inners and will probably use the outers which are still in the wheels. Also, after quite a bit of rummaging we found a good pair of front and a pair of rear nuts to hold them in place. These are handed of course  but we found everything we need in good condition. As we are not missing anything here and nothing is broken no one has to make anything and we can make it ready for reassembly.  

DSCN0118.JPG

DSCN0120.JPG

DSCN0122.JPG

DSCN0123.JPG

DSCN0124.JPG

DSCN0125.JPG

DSCN0126.JPG

DSCN0127.JPG

DSCN0128.JPG

DSCN0129.JPG

DSCN0131.JPG

DSCN0149.JPG