Folding canvas buckets

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Lloyd,

most of the buckets i have seen in ww2 use by the germans were of metallic in nature.

Those markings are not of typicall german equiptment markings and the swastica stamp may well of been added to increase value and or falsify item

(JMHO)

Ashley

Hi Ashley,

I hear what you're saying, I put it up to see what people thought.

I bought it from a proper junk shop on one of the greek islands, a week or so ago. The island was invaded by the Germans in May 1941 and I think they left in September '44. It is slightly taller than the yank one and I reckon it would hold about 1.5 gallons/8 ltrs. There is a reinforcing cross strap on the bottom with a brass stud at the cross over that has a dull verdigris finish on it.I've been to this island many times and this is the only thing I've seen of this period, apart from scores of jeep trailers being used by the Greek armed forces of course :-D.

Regs

Lloyd

Doh - saw loads at the Weymouth do this weekend and was going to take some pictures and put them up here but to be honest there was nothing special, nothing stood out - if I going to run the risk of public ridicule then it has to be special....it is going to have to be big or small or saggy - something like :whistle:

............but I feeling the need to get the camera out :oops:

• 2 weeks later...

I agree - it's back-to-front :-)

Yep, noticed that right away....

Crap german marking, does look like a Canadian stamp at the top.

Adding the reversed swastica would in fact decrease the value by mocking up a nice Canadian one.

Yep, noticed that right away....

Crap german marking, does look like a Canadian stamp at the top.

Adding the reversed swastica would in fact decrease the value by mocking up a nice Canadian one.

I was at Bovington on Saturday at the invitation of the Director of the Royal Armoured Corps. Took a nose around the arena and couldn't help but notice that the Chieftain ARV lurking to pull breakdowns out of the way had a canvas bucket hanging off the back.

I thought of you lot and took a picture but haven't downloaded it yet.

Watch this space but don't hold yer breath.

• 2 weeks later...

"Bucketist"! I like that word and will write to Oxford Dictionary for it to be included in their next edition. It has made me think of the French Jeep dealer "Jeepest"! I always thought that that was along the line of "cheapest" (but fails on their prices though). Maybe it means anti-Jeep?

Tim (too)

We must, in these enlightened and liberal times embrace all walks of life and lifestyle choices... gone are the days of shouting abuse at the "bucketeers" who used to follow their calling under a veil of shame...

"foldy" "floppy" and "pail face" are no longer acceptable forms of address please bear this in mind the next time you encounter one of the

"canvas swingers"

Bucket... Beckett... think about it :dunno:

Was Bolero an MV event or a "Bucket Pride" event ? The name has gained tacky connotations of ice-dancing and too-tight lycra so perhaps it attracted the 'other' crowd ? :-o

The organisers of "Wings & Wheels" had better make sure it's not over-run by Faeries !

I saw an alarming number of buckets hanging from tow hooks during Bolero :shake:

Good point chaps - I to did notice this but I kept quite as I thought that it maybe some sort of Suffolk 'ritual'.

I meant to take a picture of every single bucket just so that I could show Tim! I am sure that Adrian had one on his Sherman :dunno: maybe it was removed when the sun came up :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

And the winner of this years "Bucket Pride" event goes to:

DSCN4519.jpg

Rather interestingly, after i took their photo they asked for £1. Instead of doing the correct thing and deleting the photograph, i ran away.

Tim (Too)

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo link repaired/Link broken

• 3 weeks later...

This one's appeared on the WW2 Re-enactor's forum.

Not only the bucket but a girlies' bike as well. Presumably so the cross bar doesn't get in the way when the bucket's owner pops out for a night on the town with the glad rags on ? :-)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Rangerdangerman/DSCN0239.jpg

I don't even dare to speculate on what sort of animal fondnesses are involved with the cage and the milk churn :schocked: