Folding canvas buckets

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can see it on my calendar beside me. It does i fear not prove anything as it is only however on the recreated photograph and not on the original. Good try though.

It is possible that an LRDG unit would carry a folding canvas bucket on the offchance of using it to pull up water out of a well, as quite a few did exist across the desert. However, i think that carrying it in such a vulnerable place (being suspended from the front bumper) is very unlikley as it would either drag or snag while driving in the rough terrain out in the desert which would result in either its loss or severe damage.

Those LRDG vehicle restorers do a fine job. I wonder if any of them has an original photo of a canvas bucket in action!

If anybody has not seen this picture and would like to, let me know and i will post it on the forum.

Tim (too)

Well you know this whole 'Secret Society' and its bucket code has implications for a Texas fire department. They proudly display an original 1907 bucket hanging from the rear of their 1884 pumper fire truck.

1907-ladder-wagon_large.jpg

http://www.ci.round-rock.tx.us/news/pumper_history.html

Perhaps this bucket etiquette goes back further than we first thought.

Is Round Rock, Texas anywhere near Brokeback mountain?

I live in Texas and this is my first post here, I hope not my last. :D I happen to be one of those military vehicle enthuasist that loves to put accounterments on his vehicle. I have a 43 CCKW and I put a canvas bucket under the spare jerry can strap, duffle bags on the fenders and anything else that a driver would have had in a combat situation during WWII. I have enjoyed reading your posts on this subject. Thanks for letting a Texan meander around your site. :lol: :lol:

• 5 months later...

I got a folding canvas bucket at Beltring this year, all I seem to use it for is collecting beer bottle tops :? is this normal :shake:

Try and not drink so much beer then :beer: and have a cup of tea instead :-D

Ashley :cofee:

The tow hitch? why where else would I or can I hang it :?

On our Ferrets the canvas bucket lived safely out of the way at the bottom of the most awkward wheel-arch bin, festering, usually in a puddle of oil from the oil can or grease from the grease gun. It only ever saw light of day for a kit check. (No, no, a CES check, not a barf after a night on the wee.)

• 1 month later...

This was such a superb topic, it would be shame to let it fall by the wayside. Have we seen this picture before?

Bucket.jpg

Or this one?

Bucket2.jpg

Buckets were there for the select few that liked to expose them in public, but i still believe that they were never carried from the tow hook unless you were wanting to send a message to a like minded person who likes to get his bucket out!

Comments and abuse anybody?

Tim (too)

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo link repaired