Stolen Weapons -- VE day at Cobbaton

scott9643

Probably not my place to start this, but as no one has so far -- here goes

We're all having a brilliant weekend at Preston Issacs VE day weekend until Tim discovers that two AK 47s have gone missing and so have a group of campers. A quick bit of searching finds that no one new these guys, they hadn't entered -- just turned up. After a more thorough check, Tim discovers that more weapons had been stolen -- not neccessarily the most attractive stuff, but Eastern Block weapons and I'm sure a list will be forthcoming

Now it just so happens that we've got a photo of two of these guys and a shot of their 4 x 4 which Preston is going to share with the Police. So fare warning -- If you are the people that left Cobbaton early in the morning -- I suggest you phone Preston now to either protest your innocence or own up -- or await a knock on your door by a Policemen very interested in your weekend activities

For everyone out there reading this thread, I'm sure we're all honest decent folk -- let's not let a minority of thieving gits spoil our hobby -- if you're offered weapons -- please phone Preston or Tim, they put tons and tons of effort into the MVT, lets see if the network can get these weapons back

:mad: :mad:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a shameful thing to happen particularly when hospitality was being provided for enthusiasts by enthusiasts & their trust has been abused like this. Even more shameful is the fact that these people must to some degree be in the hobby.

really sorry to hear the weapons got stolen,because this hobby and the type of shows we go to can attract the less desirable elements of society i when leaving my ferret and going for a stroll ,make sure that guns gun mounts etc are well secured to vehicle ( hope police ,you catch the feckers)

Whilst these kind of thieving activities leave all descent people feeling absolutely gutted, we must, unfortunately take some responsibility for our own actions. I am constantly telling members that we cannot just leave stuff lying about for this scum to get their hands on, secure it or leave someone in charge ( the latter is most certainly not thief proof, its easy to be distracted.) I have very strong views about such matters, even to the extent of people knowingly selling-on vehicles with known serious defects (internal engine cracks etc) to an unsuspecting purchaser, a reconditioned Jeep engine will now set you back some £4200.00. We live in a perfect world, full of imperfect people.

I would suspect that they won't be De-Acts for long especially if they have gone for AK's as they are heavily interchangable with other parts off other weapons etc.

Mumbai attack suspected for a long time and things like this add fuel to the chances in my opinion!

I have visited Cobbaton and it is a great display. All that the thefts will do is close such establishments down or restrict what can be displayed to public whilst not guarded! Crying shame when someone has put so much time, devotion and cash together to produce it for joe public and like enthusiasts to look at!

post the picture .then if thay have nothing to do with it ,no problem.easy & before anyone starts with the legal B*LLrubbish , thats the problem everyone is scared to say what thay really mean ,isnt this a free country freedom of speech & all that ..yeah right:mad:. name & shame . i was had over with my pig went to see it drove it paid the man , paid for low loader ,then the day it turned up minus a propshaft , compressor & genny & it sounded like it was on rusty tracks :mad: . a lot of heated phone calls . no joy ,

post the picture .then if thay have nothing to do with it ,no problem.easy & before anyone starts with the legal B*LLrubbish , thats the problem everyone is scared to say what thay really mean ,isnt this a free country freedom of speech & all that ..yeah right:mad:. name & shame .

Not on this forum.. if some one is convicted then no problem, we (HMVF) will not get involved in anything that could leave us open to legal action. Preston has the MVT website & magazine to name & shame if he wishes to do so, we have no problem with the thefts being reported but we will not allow accusations naming individuals on the forum.

I will contact Preston & point him to this thread, if he has any comment he would like posted you will see it here.

Anyone with a problem with our policies please PM us, not for discussion here.

After the last show we attended with my uncles 'new' halftrack we stopped off for a meal at a local pub leaving the ambulance and halftrack out front, within 20 mins had to go out and ask people to kindly climb out of the back of the M3 after they had opened the door and jumped in. Nothing missing we could see but the de-act 50 cal doesn't fit under the tilt so was loose on the floor so now have had to come up with a quick secure lock when its demounted. People don't seem to have a lot of respect at the minute for other's property, and their response was "we were only looking mate". Didn't seem to keen on me 'opening' the door to their car just to look though. :mad:

Hope the weapons are returned to the owner as soon as possible - just a thought has anyone tried claiming for lost weapons on their insurance, can't imagine the firms would be keen to pay proper money for replacements?

Some people have no shame I have lost count of the people that will openly admit they have just been released from prison. I can not see why you would want to admit that to anyone. :nut: Is there something wrong with me for thinking that I hope not.

Without wishing to have my post moderated you only have to look to recent events to see why some people think its allright to steal. :argh:

If I carry on much further I'll be touching on the P word which is almost as bad as the R word.

I hope you get you're deacts back

sorry to hear about the weapons, it's a real shame when something like that happens as it can ruin an otherwise great event, especially when those that got shafted were the ones that went to the trouble to organise the event in the first place.

rick

After the last show we attended with my uncles 'new' halftrack we stopped off for a meal at a local pub leaving the ambulance and halftrack out front, within 20 mins had to go out and ask people to kindly climb out of the back of the M3 after they had opened the door and jumped in. Nothing missing we could see but the de-act 50 cal doesn't fit under the tilt so was loose on the floor so now have had to come up with a quick secure lock when its demounted. People don't seem to have a lot of respect at the minute for other's property, and their response was "we were only looking mate". Didn't seem to keen on me 'opening' the door to their car just to look though. :mad:

Hope the weapons are returned to the owner as soon as possible - just a thought has anyone tried claiming for lost weapons on their insurance, can't imagine the firms would be keen to pay proper money for replacements?

I find that displaying vehicles at organised shows ( usually set in the countryside) that we experience very few problems from the public, presumably thats because the people have both paid entry fees and have a genuine interest in what they are looking at. On the other hand I find that when displaying in town or inner-city events people have no regard for your exhibit, parents tend to treat it like a piece of playground equipment and can be rather abusive when asked to refrain from doing so, even when the request is tactfully applied. Add to all of this abuse the distinct possibility of litigation in the event of an "accident". I have requested that our own group should now fence off our vehicles in order to prevent what I believe is an inevitability, and also provide ourselves with a little more time to enjoy what we are doing without having to police everything.

The countryside can be the same.

We have a country faire that gets held in one of our fields, and although I show the ferret and saracen I get called away to sort things out here and there.

When I got back parents were just standing and watching their kids jumping in and out of both vehicles, they were covered in them. Some had got into the saracen and were removing tools, parents just standing watching. A couple of them had actually taken a hammer out and had used it to hammer the s**t out of the roof. Now I have bent bin lids and chipped paint to deal with.

No one was stood on the classic cars or tractors that were also at the show. MV's are apparently different.

Rant over.

I was at the cobbaton show on the sunday and am sorry to hear about the thefts.

Paul

If your trying to be the fourth person banned from the forum. Do the decent thing, go away of your own accord.

Please note: This post is not aimed at Paul! It was intended to refer to a post that Jack has, in my mind rightly , removed.

Edited by Tony B

The truth is you are just as likely to see this kind of behaviour anywhere in the UK,people are so mobile these days theives can(and do) travel into other areas and often they seem to view more rural areas as easy pickings,it's easy to see why when my local plod admit it could take half an hour for them to respond to a 999 call.

Can I make an apology? I did not intend my post earlier about a memeber's atempt to wind up the Mods to refer to Paul. The comment above was editied, I think rightly, by Jack. :kissoncheek:
its acrazy world we live in tony . its just so frustrating when the police do finally get these thiefs its hard to prove ,the only reason i posted name & shame , in frustration ,so any upset :blush: oops , well lets hope that the guys get there weapons back,

Oh I agree mate! Some of the Pondlife round here looted a Games shop last week. Vidioed it, and posted on You Tube! They are now complaning the Police are picking on them! Must take hours of practice, you just could not be born that stupid!

Edited by Tony B
lousy spelling!

Update: Eight weapons in total were stolen and Police have visited Preston and are treating the thefts very seriously. So far, they have not been silly about the weapons display, but have obviously made some recommendations that are going to cost Preston a tidy sum of money but hopefully won't spoil the uniqueness of his collection

Just to clarify a point -- the photos submited to the Police were of people and vehicles that could not be explained. There was no intention to name and shame people who to all intents and purposes could have been perfectly innocent how ever suspicious it may seem that nobody who has been questioned so far appeared to know them, they pitched thier tents at around 20.30 (the time they were caught on camera) and they were seen packing up and disappearing at around seven in the morning

Anyone who was camping at the event, if you haven't been contacted by either Tim or Preston so far, would you please give them a ring -- any snippets of information could be useful

In reading through other lines in this thread, I think we all suffer in some way or other from paranioa that some oik is going get inside our vehicles. We have the usual questions all the time "can I get inside" (and smear everything they get their hands on with icecream and wrench off all the loose equipment just to see if they can) I think sensible policing is the answer -- and this could be done in small groups with a bit of co-operation. I have been surprised at the generosity of some mv owners who have said I'll keep an eye on it for you mate -- makes you want to share doesn't it

I work in an organsation that risk assesses everything (literally) and I tell you what -- the "bloody Health and Safety ruins everything" wears a bit thin when something gets nicked or someone gets hurt. A simple risk assessment -- asking youself a number of questions that start with "what if ...." and providing yourself with an answer could go a long way to keeping you and your hard earned cash safe (Got that feeling I'm preaching now -- end of sermon and todays lesson!)

Can I make an apology? I did not intend my post earlier about a memeber's atempt to wind up the Mods to refer to Paul. The comment above was editied, I think rightly, by Jack. :kissoncheek:

Hi Tony

If thats me you are refering to about not refering to then ............. none taken mate :)

Cheers

Paul