omg! why i never have so much luck `? ^^ i wan't too =(

looks like a lot work but for a m10 ? no problem ;)

wan't restore a tank too but my father always say:" do you have money and the time?"

but this month came a new tank and this one we must paint new but that's not resto ^^

wan't see alot pics ;)

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely to see the photos, thanks to both of you guys for taking the time to upload them.

Couple of questions:

Is that 17pdr at home in the Turret, or was it just put in for display? I wondered as the breach counter weight is missing and it looked a little high, having said that I've never seen one without the Mantlet before.

Is it going to be restored as a 'c' or as a 76mm, I guess it depends on weather the owner wants to depict Normandy or late 44/45, when was the first up gunned M10 issued in NW Europe? The questions far outweigh the question marks; nevermind.

Lovely to see the photos, thanks to both of you guys for taking the time to upload them.

Couple of questions:

Is that 17pdr at home in the Turret, or was it just put in for display? I wondered as the breach counter weight is missing and it looked a little high, having said that I've never seen one without the Mantlet before.

Is it going to be restored as a 'c' or as a 76mm, I guess it depends on weather the owner wants to depict Normandy or late 44/45, when was the first up gunned M10 issued in NW Europe? The questions far outweigh the question marks; nevermind.

The 17 pdr had just been welded in for display but the mantlet aquired for the restoration is also a 17 pdr one so it will stay as is. 3" guns aren't exactly easy to find either!

When you say ''breech counterweight'', what do you mean?

The first M10 17 pdr was delivered in May 44 with 10 regiments being equipped by July.

I guess it depends on weather the owner wants to depict Normandy or late 44/45, when was the first up gunned M10 issued in NW Europe?

The M10c 17pdr SPG was in service on D.Day, three RA regiments landed on D.Day 20th,suporting 3rd infantry div, 62nd - I corps and 73rd -XXX corps followed by a further eight Anti tank regiments by 1-8-44, including one Polish and two Canadian CRA units. all will have had a mixture of 17pdr M10 and 3inch gun M10 along with towed 17pdr.

Any sign of a serial number on the M10 Adrian?

Steve

The M10c 17pdr SPG was in service on D.Day

I didn't realise that Steve, thanks for the info - any recomended reading on the M10 in British Army service?

Adrian,

I was refering to the hefty steel block that you often see clamped just behind the muzzle brake on the M10c in period photos. I've always assumed that's what it was but I don't think I've ever seen it written down anywere.

Ajmac

any recomended reading on the M10 in British Army service?

Not really there is some stuff in the old osprey-vanguard "Allied Tank Destroyers" by Brian Perrett, but not recommended as a purchase assuming it is still available, the information in my post came from notes from the early 1990s of M10 service by Richard Harley in AFV news, which he direct sourced from PRO and Bovington files.

There is still a lack of good specific books on many British WW2 tanks. "Sherman" by Hunnicutt gives brief but probably the best coverage (apart from getting involved with the real thing) of the conversion of 3inch to 17pdr M10, but like most Hunnicutt books does not give service record as such.

Steve

Adrian Barrell

on the towing eyes as many M4 versions

Thanks for that, the two M10s in front of middle fell at Warcop still had what could have been a Speed plate but had rotted through and was impossible to read. If I'd known about the towing eyes I might have been able to get the numbers before they went for scrap. Both were later production models.

I recall a photo in Wheels and Tracks of a Vee turreted M10 in Pounds yard -I suppose your M10 was possibly from there.

Steve

The cutout sections of the upper engine bulkhead and the lower rear plate, the latter in a before and after.

This plate is 1" thick with a 45 degree bend in it and was one of the few parts we had to buy in. Also visible is the towing pintle bracket.

The spectacle cutout is for the exhaust elbow/silencer casting.

HPIM1853.JPG

HPIM1865.JPG

Eventually we finished all we were going to do and it was time to say goodbye (for now....).

The Ram mentioned in the other thread was being delivered on the lorry so it was a simple matter of swapping them over.

I use my M75 for jobs like this as it has a torque converter and a neutral steer facility, both of which make positioning accurately a lot easier. It weighs 18 tons and with rubber padded tracks, it copes with dead tanks nicely!

HPIM1957.JPG

HPIM1960.JPG

HPIM1962.JPG

HPIM1963.JPG

HPIM1965.JPG

Edited by Adrian Barrell

Wow:shocked:

An excellent thread, its great to see how these range wrecks are bought back to life with lots of welding and fabrication.

I just hope one day I may learn some of the skills to restore something alot smaller and alot less tracked:cool2:(WC52).

Do you know any of the service history of the M10?

Thanks for another great thread,

Luke