• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... when the rocker covers are on it wouldn't be obvious that the heads are modernised then? Lovely, I do like engines:nut: Surprised at the turn around, were they exchange or the originals (I appreciate not THE originals) reconditioned?

PS. Goes without saying - impressive.

Edited by ajmac

So... when the rocker covers are on it wouldn't be obvious that the heads are modernised then? Lovely, I do like engines:nut: Surprised at the turn around, were they exchange or the originals (I appreciate not THE originals) reconditioned?

PS. Goes without saying - impressive.

Well, Adrian Scott told me yesterday that he is going to use new, cast aluminium rocker covers to avoid the oil leaks that the tin originals are prone to. These do look very different if only because they have 'Detroit Diesel' cast into them! From a maintenance point of view it makes sense though.

They are the original blocks that I supplied with the project, quite a quick turnaround really.

Those engines DO look sweet. Is there much of a step up in power with the modern heads etc?

Look forward to seeing it A&E.

Richard

I believe they are expecting about 470 HP gross, about a 25% increase. I'm not sure if some of this come from greater speed or just from better breathing.

A guy on the Turbine helpdesk with me today just asked what that old water bosh in the back ground of the photo was.... Looks like a Ram on its back to me, what on earth is a Ram? Nevermind.... lets get back to talking to the guys offshore EG.

Does Adrian think his M10 will make A&E? What with finishing it and then getting some shake down running done before driving on the roads....not the place to find a problem.

A guy on the Turbine helpdesk with me today just asked what that old water bosh in the back ground of the photo was.... Looks like a Ram on its back to me, what on earth is a Ram? Nevermind.... lets get back to talking to the guys offshore EG.

Does Adrian think his M10 will make A&E? What with finishing it and then getting some shake down running done before driving on the roads....not the place to find a problem.

Hadn't you heard? Upside down tanks are the in thing this year! :D

It was that way to facilitate welding of the sponson to hull side joints. It should be the right way up now....!

I don't want to speak for Adrian S, and he no doubt will be along himself to confirm but I'm sure he hopes so! I agree Alastair, a few miles before the event would be wise.

ajmac

A guy on the Turbine helpdesk with me today just asked what that old water bosh in the back ground of the photo was.... Looks like a Ram on its back to me, what on earth is a Ram?

I thought leaving a ram on its back was classed as cruelty to a licenced animal.:police:

If you want to see AFV ignorance have a look at June Military Machines int. there is a Sherman spread, -a quote from the author "As this tank has solid bogies it is most likely a Sherman I." it was a Sherman V.:shocked::shocked: Evidently there was a churchill article in April, it's a shame I missed it, I need a laugh at the moment:-(

Steve

I'll agree too. I used to get Practical Classics, every now and again I am tempted, but it usually gets me angry sso it ends up in the bin. So much in there is complete fiction. If you want good quality technical magazines get hold of any US Chevy V8 or Hotrod mags, they put our monthly press to shame!

i just like looking at the pictures it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :D

ignorance is bliss

I must admit, I have bought the mags for a single picture before now..... Re-reading my post made me think it rather arrogant....:blush:

There are, of course, many excellent articles, anything by David Fletcher being a case in point. However, the example that Steve quoted and I suspect we could all come up with some from our own areas of interest, should have been picked up. Hey ho, we're all human!

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Meanwhile, back at the Bedfield tank factory.......

Tony has been putting together the 17 pr ammo stowage racks. There is four of these in each vehicle, each holding 11 rounds in a head to tail layout. I only have one round sadly so you have to use your imagination a little....!

After I drew them all out, I bought in the laser cut profiles, it is much cheaper than cutting them all out ourselves but making the infill pieces is still a lot of work. The centre clamps are split horizontally to enable removal of the rounds.

One down, three to go...........

P6200001.jpg

P6200002.jpg

Top marks for spotting and identifying the upside down Ram. As Adrian has said rolling it over enabled us to do the underside welds, which were on the new sponson plates.

HPIM0398.jpg