Originality

sirhc

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may still be a WW2 jeep.

Just a lot of crap bolted on and incorrect wheels, seats and who knows what else.

Still it may be a easyish job getting it back to WW2 spec..after a lot of welding holes.

My first Jeep (M38) also had a lot of crap on it like extra headlamps, wheels like the above one, green sunvisors and was painted white. (we called it Free Willys).

It wasn't to difficult get it back to spec because most stuff was easy to replace.

It even had the original dataplates including the one at the passenger seat.

OK, this looks the place for the attached photo. it was emailed to me be a friend, so source unknown. But it would appear to be British Army in Malaya, 1950's.

Now, it is a Bedford MW, with raked windscreen and a CMP 15cwt body........take a similar example to a show nowadays and everyone and his dog would tell you they were never like that in service.........just shows what did go on.

CMP MW.jpg

OK, this looks the place for the attached photo. it was emailed to me be a friend, so source unknown. But it would appear to be British Army in Malaya, 1950's.

Now, it is a Bedford MW, with raked windscreen and a CMP 15cwt body........take a similar example to a show nowadays and everyone and his dog would tell you they were never like that in service.........just shows what did go on.

What a sensible comment!

Thats what originality/an original MV is to me and how you can take the vehicles to shows: as they came out of the factory or/and how they could have been in service.

so MW with CMP body = OK

Defender with Larkspur = not OK

Orange Humvees = not OK (no problem if you want to take it to TESCOs)

50px-Ma15.png Not suitable for people under 15. MA15+ content may only be viewed between 9:00 pm and 5:00 am on any day. Consumer advice is mandatory. Do not view on an empty stomache. Do not view whilst drinking hot beverages.

http://www.tankedup.com.au/wedding-hire-school-formal-vehicle-hire.html

It gets worse

http://www.tankedup.com.au/photo-gallery.html

Edited by fesm_ndt

50px-Ma15.png Not suitable for people under 15. MA15+ content may only be viewed between 9:00 pm and 5:00 am on any day. Consumer advice is mandatory. Do not view on an empty stomache. Do not view whilst drinking hot beverages.

http://www.tankedup.com.au/wedding-hire-school-formal-vehicle-hire.html

It gets worse

http://www.tankedup.com.au/photo-gallery.html

Well ehm.

I think....eeeehhhhmm.

Maybe.....?

OK, don't know what to say...

Well ehm.

I think....eeeehhhhmm.

Maybe.....?

OK, don't know what to say...

I do,..............It's only an old 432.

Of course it is OK to cut them up and smelt them for metal to be reused in the manufacture of dustbins, but if someone takes a piece of scrap and makes it into a vehicle that loads of people will have fun with, then what ?

We should pick up the pitchforks and flaming torches and organise a vigilante hunt ?..............I personally think their efforts and hard work should be applauded.

No, it is not to my personal taste - I would never waste that amount of time and money making such a piece of crap out of something that was better befor the time, money and effort was wasted on it.

But so what ? .............I do not have a monopoly on good taste, only what I consider good taste.

The very vehicles that we strive to preserve, were for the most part (allied) manufactured specificly to maintain a way of existance where freedom was the fundamental principle of life - that freedom includes allowing others to do as they like, and to enjoy life as they see fit.

If that includes painting some old scrap red - so be it, lets celebrate the creativity and applaud the effort.:yay: :yay:

Yi Haaaaaaaaa !

I do,..............It's only an old 432.

Of course it is OK to cut them up and smelt them for metal to be reused in the manufacture of dustbins, but if someone takes a piece of scrap and makes it into a vehicle that loads of people will have fun with, then what ?

We should pick up the pitchforks and flaming torches and organise a vigilante hunt ?..............I personally think their efforts and hard work should be applauded.

That's ok, if it stays away from military vehicle shows. When I started this thread, many moons ago, I was commenting on how people do that kind of thing (perhaps not always that extreme) to a vehicle, and then take it to a military vehicle show. I don't want to see anything like that an MV show. I want to see original, or well restored, examples of these vehicles.

That's ok, if it stays away from military vehicle shows. When I started this thread, many moons ago, I was commenting on how people do that kind of thing (perhaps not always that extreme) to a vehicle, and then take it to a military vehicle show. I don't want to see anything like that an MV show. I want to see original, or well restored, examples of these vehicles.

How do you feel when you see the BBMF Lancaster painted as "Phantom of the Rhur" which it isn't?

Did it ought not overfly a military show because it has a co-pilot's seat, and a second joystick that should not be there?

Should it not be seen doing a flypast at a military show because the crew are wearing White flying helmets, not a leather flying helmet?

It is not what it purports to be, it is unoriginal , the crew are wrongly dressed......Or are just really glad to see it despite this?

Edited by antarmike

I like them coming...............gives me something to laugh at, a bit of light comedy can make the day go well :-D

Seriously, I agree with you. I do prefer my stuff to be authentic, and certainly I prefer to see well restored and original vehicles at military vehicle shows.

I do sometimes take my military stuff to classic car shows - they are very

welcoming, and seem to have a very pleasant disposition that does not include a prejudice of design type - they just enjoy life with an open mind, and have a nice time - all together.

How do you feel when you see the BBMF Lancaster painted as "Phantom of the Rhur" which it isn't?

Did it ought not overfly a military show because it has a co-pilot's seat, and a second joystick that should not be there?

Should it not be seen doing a flypast at a military show because the crew are wearing White flying helmets, not a leather flying helmet?

It is not what it purports to be, it is unoriginal , the crew are wrongly dressed......Or are just really glad to see it despite this?

Mike, you missed the point. If it was painted pink, had random antennas, stickers, chrome wheels etc then stop it overflying a military show. Since it is not, then I see no problem with it.

Since so many people seem to get the wrong end of the stick, I'll try to define what I believe to be 'original' and see who else agrees.

Original (in the context of military vehicles)

In keeping with the spirit of the vehicle, in terms of colour, markings and accessories. Modifications in terms of safety, reliability and economy are not seen to affect originality providing they do not detract from the factory or in service look of a vehicle.

Mike, you missed the point. If it was painted pink, had random antennas, stickers, chrome wheels etc then stop it overflying a military show. Since it is not, then I see no problem with it.

Someday when I have a bit more courage I'll post a picture of how my 80" Landy ended up looking, That will make a few of you wince. And before you say anything, I NEVER booked it in as an Ex Military vehicle or pretended its history was other than it was. After all you can do whatever you like, if you want to.

Someday when I have a bit more courage I'll post a picture of how my 80" Landy ended up looking, That will make a few of you wince. And before you say anything, I NEVER booked it in as an Ex Military vehicle or pretended its history was other than it was. After all you can do whatever you like, if you want to.

:-D....Go on, post it up, I want to see it if no one else does.

Way I figure, life is too short to alienate people that have the same hobby and only disagree on the preference of a couple of years, a shade of paint or a particular countries products. There is no shortage of peadophiles and polititians to hate.

Those kinds of vehicles would be better seen at a general car show or mixed vehicle type of show rather than a purely MV show. Joe public expects to see green vehicles at MV shows