WW1 Thornycroft restoration

The small pipes all appear to relate to the intake - Ki-Gass starter or something along those lines, perhaps?

I would normally have thought the same, but there are two to the plate betwixt the manifold and carb, and that looks a lot like the intake heater on Ben's new engine. So they might be oil pipes.

I have only ever seen them in bronze on this side of the world. so ours will be too. You can see in Hedd's photos of the recovery that the gearlever quadrant was missing, as were the brasses from the pump itself. I think the bronze thieves had got there beforehand!

Steve

It is interesting to note these small differences in parts. We can only assume ( without the early parts manuals) that there are two sets of casting materials. Could the export market been a cheaper/ plainer version?

Doug

I don't know about Thornycroft, but nobody (as far as I know) has ever managed to weld the alloy that White and Poppe used.

This is the corroded hose stub on the water manifold of a 1913 White and Poppe Engine.

arnie corroded spigot.jpg

I cut the stub off and replaced it with a new turned part. I had it welded on by a 'professional welder' and although the welding looks superficially O.K. it was actually hideous. I always believed that the alloy that W & P used had a high magnesium content and that is why the castings were always painted silver to help protect the reactive surface.

arnie with welded tube end.jpg

The flanges were also cracked and leaked despite the welding, so a mechanical solution was employed. The spigots were bored and 'top hat' sleeves pressed and Loctited in place.

arnie flange with recess.jpg

Today was a day of great satisfaction as the engine was bone dry!

I have had a nice day in the workshop today. First job was to make up another pattern for Father to take to the foundry. This one is for the front cover for the differential and was a simple turning job from a blank laid up form MDF slices. Not difficult but my dust extractor failed on me so that got a clean and service as well.

DSCN6000.JPG

DSCN6001.JPG

DSCN6003.JPG

DSCN6004.JPG

That one has now had a coat of Bondaprime and will get rubbed down and finished tomorrow.

The next task was to progress the gear change mechanism. Reverse is through 1st gear so there is a catch and trigger on the lever to prevent it from being accidentally engaged. This had had a hard life, was bent and well rusted. Some persistence with the blowtorch and a punch managed to extract the split pin.

DSCN6005.JPG

DSCN6006.JPG

Wire and nylon brushes cleaned the bits up and I took the opportunity to take out the wear in the pivot pin holes by enlarging them with a 13/32" drill.

DSCN6007.JPG

A wire brush in the pistol drill soon sorted the handle.

DSCN6008.JPG

I turned up some new pivot pins so only the centring springs remain. These are interesting in that they are leaf springs, mounted either side and made from 22swg spring steel. This is proving very hard to get and the best price we have had is £67- plus £15- postage for 0.3m x 1m. However, one of my work colleagues had a brainwave and has suggested that I use a panel saw! Screwfix is next door to work so I have picked up a £2-99 saw with the intention of cutting it up. It is just the right thickness so I will have a go at that shortly. I shall find out how well it anneals!

DSCN6009.JPG

Pattern painting tomorrow and then the centring springs.

Steve :)

Screwfix is next door to work so I have picked up a £2-99 saw with the intention of cutting it up. It is just the right thickness so I will have a go at that shortly. I shall find out how well it anneals!

Why would you anneal it?

I would strongly recommend not heating thin spring steel, it gets its properties from cold rolling.

Machine it with carbide tooling and cold-form it.

The plan was to anneal it so I could shear it, drill it and bend it. What I propose doing now is to cut the leaves out with a disc cutter and then experiment with the off cuts to see if I can bend them without fracture. Not sure how I will drill them now though!

Steve

The plan was to anneal it so I could shear it, drill it and bend it. What I propose doing now is to cut the leaves out with a disc cutter and then experiment with the off cuts to see if I can bend them without fracture. Not sure how I will drill them now though!

As far as I recall from when spring steels were my job, spring steel strip is supplied with enough ductility to do a full 180 bend round a radius of 4x (maybe 3x) the strip thickness.

You should be able to drill it with a solid-carbide drill, and quite possibly with a good HSS-Co one. (I drill full-HSS mechanical hacksaw blades with solid-carbide drills, we have a stock of cheap ones that are too long for the mechanical hacksaw)

Failing that, a simple punch tool (as in a block of gauge-plate with a hole drilled through it and saw-cut) and a bit of HSS round rod should work.

Another manufacturing challenge! If I make up a guide tool to keep the punch and die aligned, I could use the hydraulic press to push the punch through. Hardened silver steel would be the way I should go. (Thanks for the suggestion). A bit more pondering time needed, I think.

Steve

Another manufacturing challenge! If I make up a guide tool to keep the punch and die aligned, I could use the hydraulic press to push the punch through. Hardened silver steel would be the way I should go. (Thanks for the suggestion). A bit more pondering time needed, I think.

Steve

Andy's suggestion of (I assume) a one-piece die block sounds good: drill the punch hole straight through then slot the side of the block (wide enough to accommodate your piece of spring steel and deep enough to get the hole in the right position) position spring, drop punch into hole, apply suitable force: sorted!

I have a"Nu-cleve" bench punch somewhere, but it only does small holes and rivet setting so wouldn't be up to the job.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I will have a go at it when I get back home.

In the mean time, I have found this picture of the inside of the top tank of a Thorny owned by the Hampshire County Council Museums Service.

Wethereds_0005.jpg

As you can see, there is a short overflow pipe running from the outlet fitting up to the filler cap. As our plan is to assemble and fit the radiator the next time we are all together, this part needed making so I set to this afternoon to do it. Step one was to get out my home-made 1/2" tube bender.

DSCN2440.JPG

DSCN2441.JPG

That worked well so step two was to swage out the tube end.

DSCN2442.JPG

DSCN2444.JPG

I turned up a brass nut and we were away.

DSCN2447.jpg

DSCN2448.JPG

One more piece ticked off.

Steve

It wasn't noticeably worse in this area. I suspect that the huge amount of copper and brass in the rest of the rad will have most galvanic effect and that this pipe is pretty insignificant. All of the tanks I have seen are generally pitted but extremely wasted just above the tube plate.

Steve.

Don't be sick! Enjoy what you can do. I am certain that you could do it as well if you wanted to enough. Let's face it, we didn't know how to do anything until we tried and then asked our friends here and around the country for help and guidance. A job like this is like eating an elephant. You do it one mouthful at a time!

As long as you get pleasure out of it then nothing else matters.

Enjoy!

Steve :D

I have finally sorted the centring springs! My trip to Screwfix produced two saws as the reason they were so cheap was that they were not very big!

First job was to clean up the original spring assemblies in order to salvage the clamp plates.

DSCN6011.JPG

An hour or two with the disc cutter soon saw the leaves roughed out.

DSCN6013.JPG

DSCN6029.JPG

To bend them, I made up a press tool from a block of wood and then played with various pieces of bar and offcuts of saw to get the radius right. Then it was the moment of truth with a real leaf!

DSCN6032.JPG

DSCN6033.JPG

I was amazed at how far I could bend them without snapping.

DSCN6034.JPG

DSCN6036.JPG

I was just thinking about making up a punch and die when one of our salesmen came in with this. He had been clearing out his father's garage and wondered whether I would like it. Fantastic! A hand punch with different sized dies!

DSCN6037.JPG

It made short work of the 3/16" holes although they were very hard on my hands. So much so, in fact that I tried drilling the 1/4" holes with a HSS bit. This was successful but I had to sharpen it several times per hole for the first spring so I gave up and used the 1/4" punch instead. I think I was pushing my luck to be honest, but it did it in the end.

DSCN6038.JPG

DSCN6040.JPG

Then it was simply a case of riveting them together.

DSCN6041.JPG

DSCN6043.JPG

All done and ready for the paint shop!

Steve :)

How very appropriate. If I'm not mistaken that is a Roper Whitney Junior punch, a copy of the original Whitney Metal Tool punch that goes back well before WW2, possibly to the time of the Thorny.

If it wasn't for the plastic covered handle and plastic case it would be quite the thing.

That's an interesting thought, Barry. It had not occured to me at all! They might have been blacked but I think there was little refinement in the painting process and they would have left the factory covered in paint.

I have oil-blacked steel before but the temperature would have upset the spring steel in this case. I have no experience of chemical blacking. How do you do it?

Steve

Degrease, into the blacking solution for 10 minutes, wash, then into dewatering oil for 30 minutes. That's it! The finish looks very good, but the corrosion reistance isn't as good as what used to be achieved with vats of boiling caustic cyanide solution. But then again doing it the old way on your cooker top along with the chips wouldn't be too safe.

I've also used chemical black from a gunsmith. The process is quite easy: make sure that the metal is absolutely clean (blasting just before the treatment works great), apply the solution with a small brush, wait for a few minutes, rinse under the tap, dry with a cloth and spray with WD40 or something similar. In my opinion the WD40 protects better than the chemical black coating...

Jan

First weekend in Devon for a while and we elected to assemble the radiator and fit it. Step one was to fit the gasket to the bottom tank with a bead of 'red goo' on both sides.

DSCN2517.jpg

Then it was a case of lifting the tank onto the top.

DSCN2520.jpg

DSCN2522.jpg

Before remembering that the side castings had to go in first!

DSCN2524.jpg

Bolting up was tricky as the flange is very narrow. We had to put a chamfer on each bolt head to get them to sit down.

DSCN2533.jpg

On to the top tank. The job here was to fit the overflow tube inside, something that can't be done from outside.

DSCN2538.jpg

A bead of goo and off we went again.

DSCN2540.jpg

DSCN2544.jpg

DSCN2547.jpg

DSCN2550.jpg

All well. Feet next.

DSCN2553.jpg

We wrapped some rubber around the spigot. It was a very tight fit but some washing up liquid soon sorted that.

DSCN2557.jpg

DSCN2556.jpg