• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations Richard, it looks great and like its in a fair condition. I will be looking forward to seing more pictures of it.... :)

My pioneer had been stading 15 years, and it took me around to hours to get it to run. So do not think you wil have a problem with getting it running.

Edited by Niels v

Richard, you lucky ....... what a lovely find ! Wonderful photographs. I hope you will consider starting a restoration blog..........there'll be plenty of interest if you do. Good luck. :thumbsup:

I think the major restoration will take some time(So Andy is pretty safe) I have some other vehicles ahead in the line . Initial plans are to get it running and moving under its own steam . I may then rally it for a couple of seasons as is whilst I try and collect some bits e.g. track box and front and rear tow springs .

I think the major restoration will take some time(So Andy is pretty safe) I have some other vehicles ahead in the line . Initial plans are to get it running and moving under its own steam . I may then rally it for a couple of seasons as is whilst I try and collect some bits e.g. track box and front and rear tow springs .

A very wise plan. Just out of interest, in which area did your Pioneer last work........ I've been trying to make out the lettering on the top front of the cab. Cheers.

Great to see another one saved. Well done! Look forward to hearing more about it. Just booked my tickets for my first visit to GDSF so I'm happy and looking forward to meeting some of you in the flesh. I'll be without the Explorer this year, but who knows about next year....:-D

Hi Richard,

I'm really glad someone has ended up with it to restore. I looked at it about 3 months ago and it was far too straight and original to break or scrap. Did you find the second engine cover in the brambles? I had a really good look, but couldn't find it!

I look forward to seeing it at any show you get it to.

Jules

The engine is definitely free which is a good start. The cab is in original condition(if a bit flakey) even down to rifle clips. It seems to have been in army service pretty late as there is a rebuild plate of 1954 on it

Might it have been rebuilt as a ballast tractor with the shaped concrete blocks?

Great stuff Richard looks like local Maidstone based lorry used to recover her so presume you found her in the county i note the modified wind screen but cant recall seeing this truck out as a recovery in the long past was she a Kent based recovery when in use and finally will you be restoring her back to a transporter or a civvy based as seen

cheers

Les

Forrests eh! i have a photo of that some where in use with the fair i will post it when i locate it, if i am correct the pioneer did not venture down to our part of the county but i belive it came down as far as Faversham and maybe ashford. John Forrest always supplied our yearly fair and has done so as far back as i can remember his main tractors in the 1950s were two Mack NM5 and a FWD COE 4x4