The pioneer was used by Forrest amusements from the time it was released from the Army.

Not your Scammell. I understand this was one of a number owned by Tom Benson & Sons of Dorking.

sc0043470d01.jpg

Edited by 6 X 6

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris I would have liked to have driven it out but unfortunately what the pictures don't show is the brakes were seized on (now sorted out) and the marks on the ground as it was pulled out.If it hadn't been for the loader driver not wanting to give up it would still be in the hedge . I will try and get some cab interior pictures over the weekend and post them .

cheers

Richard

Chris I would have liked to have driven it out but unfortunately what the pictures don't show is the brakes were seized on (now sorted out) and the marks on the ground as it was pulled out.If it hadn't been for the loader driver not wanting to give up it would still be in the hedge . I will try and get some cab interior pictures over the weekend and post them .

cheers

Richard

Thank goodness some loader drivers are more determined than others. Would've been a pity for it to sit there deteriorating further.

Sounds like you've succumbed to temptation and been doing some work on it already, despite it being last in the queue?

Sounds like you've succumbed to temptation and been doing some work on it already, despite it being last in the queue?

Clearly you've adopted the Jimh philosophy of getting stuck in. does this mean it'll be finished and on the road by next weekend...?:cool2:

well after a lot of hunting round i have finally gone and done it . Can you guess what i have gone and bought. 1st picture is the hedge i had to take down to get it out. 2nd picture gives you a better idea of what the vehicle actually is.

pioneers they never say die !

Come on............... look, just forget about everything else you have to do at the moment............. we want to know if it runs and drives. This whole forum is going to come to a standstill if we don't find out soon. If you don't soon do it we'll come round and do it for you......... so there. :-D

Oh and P.S. we want it video'd too, so we can share that magical moment....

Sorry I meant to say we want it video'd........... pleeeease........... :)

Alright I admit it I have been doing a little bit of work on the Scammell . So far I have cleaned the cab out and done a bit of checking to see how much it will need to get running . The Injector pump top rail is seized so I going to give the engine a quick clean off and then take the pump off so I can have a look at it on the bench. Thats a job for next week. I have some interior pictures to post which i will do later

Alright I admit it I have been doing a little bit of work on the Scammell . So far I have cleaned the cab out and done a bit of checking to see how much it will need to get running . The Injector pump top rail is seized so I going to give the engine a quick clean off and then take the pump off so I can have a look at it on the bench. Thats a job for next week. I have some interior pictures to post which i will do later

Next week..............NEXT WEEK......... we can't wait that long..... dooh. :-D

Seriously though, good luck with the engine, and we'll look forward to seeing your pictures. :thumbsup:

Hi Richard, Jules and I were over there looking at this Pioneer a few months ago. So good to see it rescued as the guy was talking about pulling the engine out and weighing the rest in for scrap if it didn't sell. I took some pictures of it while we were there, if you want I can send 'em to you.

Hi Richard, Jules and I were over there looking at this Pioneer a few months ago. So good to see it rescued as the guy was talking about pulling the engine out and weighing the rest in for scrap if it didn't sell. I took some pictures of it while we were there, if you want I can send 'em to you.

Why not post them all on here so we can all see them........... paleeease. :-D

Ours was seized but some diesel down the bores and gentle persuasion had it free. After towing it round we discovered rack was stuck but it struck up once freed off for first time since 1971. Unfortunately bottom end was knocking so engine had a rebuild and now starts on the button good as gold. It came out of a resting place very much the same in the back of a fairground yard but is the slightly more unusual 20ton version. Glad to see another one of these rare beasts saved.

Nice find :thumbsup:

i belive there are very few complete units of the owned (3-4) i also understand that the correct trailers are very hard to find.

The one that i know of which was for sale a few years ago was complete with all sexton, all correct tools uniforms and personal equiptment.

Very impressive.

Ashley

• 1 year later...

Well after much mucking around I managed to get the tank transporter running just before Xmas I tried to move it but the clutch was seized . Well today I dragged the old girl out (with the help of a mate)to the back field in the hope of freeing up the clutch by running round .... and it worked . The 1st time in at least 20 years she is running round under her own power . I am hoping to get it to Beltring(unfortunately not going to road it )

Well after much mucking around I managed to get the tank transporter running just before Xmas I tried to move it but the clutch was seized . Well today I dragged the old girl out (with the help of a mate)to the back field in the hope of freeing up the clutch by running round .... and it worked . The 1st time in at least 20 years she is running round under her own power . I am hoping to get it to Beltring(unfortunately not going to road it )

Well done Richard :thumbsup:

No smoke trails, looking good :-)