whats the worst you have seen

morris c8 fat

Hi, the worst use of a vehicle as such was in Hanover Street, the B25 that Harrison Ford was filmed flying (filmed inside a real B25), well to make it possible to film inside the B25 they cut it in half with a chainsaw.

The B25 in question was/is owned by IWM Duxford and was under restoration about 3/4 finished, and they were asked if it could be used for filming the interiour shots of the film, so Duxford kindly said yes, and when it was returned it was done so in 2 peices.

This is a true story as a friend who worked at Duxford/on the B25 (until 1990) told me, he also said that Duxford was not paid for the damage :roll: , the B25 now hangs from the Americanair museum roof (in 1 peice).

Tyler.

How about Battle of the Bulge? All the 'King Tigers' are Patton tanks.

Mick

I really hated that film for that reason.

The one that really gripped me though was A Bridge Too Far. They went to a lot of trouble to pad out a few (the number three springs to mind) what ISTR were M4A3E8 Shermans (which were entirely the wrong model but at least they were Shermans), with fibreglass bodykits on Landrovers (all of which appeared to be Fireflies). They did a not unacceptable job.

And what did they do for the Panzers? They took a Leopard 1 and stuck a cardboard cutout onto the front of the turret to make the front aspect look vaguely like a Mark 4, maybe an F2, whereas any SS Mark 4 in September 1944 was probably an H and besides, if you were going to make a Leopard look like anything contemporary, the obvious candidate was a Panther (for the hull: the Leo turret bore absolutely no resemblance at ll to any German tank of 1944). If anything, the Leo 1's appearance owed more to say the M47, M48, M60 genre. Which brings us back to Battle of the Bulge.

Mick

Lets be honest - even if they could have found enough real King Tigers the fuel bill for running them would likely have been greater than the films entire production budget :D:D:D

Could have done a better job in disguise though..............

Hello,

Yes they could have done the same as in Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, just took another vehicle and disguised it, it only looks good when it is done properly though. I think they done a good job on saving private ryan but the most obvious thing you spot is the 'tigers' track shape. In B of B the Stug was actually a 432, I didn't spot it at first but when I took a closer look I saw that the gun mantlet was slightly different and of course the tracks.

Mick[/u][/url]

Bloody sunday the film -james nesbitt.

The use of Humber Pigs, Mk2, when in 1972 they were using Mk1, as the Mk2 was not made, Also the Landrover Piglets were wrong as they used a HVVPK which also would not have been date correct.

And the pig was a flying Mk2, which again was not around!

Sorry bit geeky there, Also the number plates used were Civvy, and not the military type

Paul

Yes I agree with you about the wrong use of Mk 2 pigs. Futhermore there is a lot of newsreel footage that shows what was happening, but in this film we have a Saracen with a hosepipe in the turret. In reality it was a Foden water cannon that drenched everyone in purple dye including the camera crews. The soundtrack picks up a soldiers satisfaction "Corr, brilliant guv"

Hello,

Yes they could have done the same as in Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, just took another vehicle and disguised it, it only looks good when it is done properly though. I think they done a good job on saving private ryan but the most obvious thing you spot is the 'tigers' track shape. In B of B the Stug was actually a 432, I didn't spot it at first but when I took a closer look I saw that the gun mantlet was slightly different and of course the tracks.

Mick[/u][/url]

IIRC in BoB the StuG mantlet they represented was the early riveted model with square edges, rather than the more universal cast Saukopf (Boar's Head) shape.

No criticism at all for BoB. In the episode where 506 PIR are on the road to Arnhem, they tell an English Troop Leader to watch out for a Panzer round the corner. I never thought about it until I went on to read a history of 11 Armoured Division. Operation Market Garden gets a footnote along the lines of:

No 11 Armoured Div units units took part in Operation Market Garden, apart from A Sqn 15/19H, attached to 506 PIR near Eindhoven.

Being my own former regiment, needless to say I picked up on this. I then got the boxed set of DVDs for Christmas. This particular episode, I freeze-framed a shot of the Troop Leader's head filling the screen. His goggles were on top of his head, obscuring the cap badge, yet there was the unmistakeable upside down Newcastle Brown Ale label on a red background of the cloth officer's cap badge of 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars. They could have put any cap badge on this man - a Guards badge would have been so easy to get away with, but they bothered.

IIRC I suspect the Cromwells were also on 432 chassis and they even made a passable representation of a Jagdpanther given the task involved.

I then paid another visit to Bovvy, where the SPR Tiger (same conversion from a T34 as Bob and Kelly's Heroes) was on display. Unfortunately for them, the Bovington Tiger (http://www.tiger-tank.com/) was nearing completion of its restoration to full roadworthiness, subsequently (after pushing a con-rod through the engine block and trashing a Maybach, necessitation the location of a replacement) becoming the first Tiger ever to turn a roadwheel under its own power on British soil. Being close enough to see the T34 glacis plate through the driver's hatch spoilt the illusion enough: seeing the size of the first true Mammoth Tank against the pale immitation was the final straw.

Last year on Meridian TV I saw a Tiger skin job on a T55 chassis. Yes it was a good job, and its owner was rightly proud, but for me as an icon the Tiger 1E nearly matches the Spitfire and the Lanc. Even if it was a heap of junk.

Mick

This movie is so bad that it becomes good again, it's proper cult and should be treated with respect :wink:

There are so many things wrong with this movie that you can only categorise it as Sci-Fi but as I said, it's cult and I really enjoy watching it!

No criticism at all for BoB. In the episode where 506 PIR are on the road to Arnhem, they tell an English Troop Leader to watch out for a Panzer round the corner.

Actually they were on their way to Nuenen, which lies to the east of Eindhoven, Arnhem is up north. :oops:

• 4 years later...

Not sure what era the film was meant to be. But on ice cold in alex there are bedford rls and a landrover or two i cannot ever recal seeing a bedford rl in the desert in world war two let alone a landrover. It drives my wife mad when we are watching films and you get world war two footage with a reo and a ferret for instance. What is wrong with these film companys? there are enough preserved vehicles of all world wars to get these films right.

The two Cromwells were in fact genuine, also a Centaur was used. As the Cromwell was derived from the Centaur, at a glance, you could get away with it. Better than a mock up thats for sure.

Richard

From memory the Cromwell / Centaur were unpowered (or should I say not runners) and towed by a hidden cable.

jch

Where Eagles Dare - even as a kid I knew there was no helicopters flying around secret German castles during WW2 :angry

Always iritated me.

Wrong, The German's did have operational helicopters, just not Bells. :-D

What P***** me off is such things as Claymore mines flattening buildings.

Have a look at 633 SQN there is a part when the CO walks back to a series 1 landrover which is a trip in time. also have a look at the crash tenders in teh final shots. Or how about teh spitfires which are on fire in the Battle or Britain. whi are clearly made of wood.

Have a look at 633 SQN there is a part when the CO walks back to a series 1 landrover which is a trip in time. also have a look at the crash tenders in teh final shots. Or how about teh spitfires which are on fire in the Battle or Britain. whi are clearly made of wood.

And the 1960's door bell on the 1960's door by the 1960's gagrage door. :yawn:

Wrong, The German's did have operational helicopters, just not Bells. :-D

What P***** me off is such things as Claymore mines flattening buildings.

nope thats an autogyro not a helicopter.........

claymores and grenades... when I threw my first grenade in the Army I was not that impressed with the little bang after all the war movies I had seen :D

From memory the Cromwell / Centaur were unpowered (or should I say not runners) and towed by a hidden cable.

jch

No, they were all runners. The two Cromwells were loosely coverted from ex-Finnish Charioteers by RR services and the Centaur belongs to Dennis Roberts though was originally restored by Colin Jones.

fesm_ndt

.....nope thats an autogyro not a helicopter.........

Yep it's a Focke Wulf FW61 and a helicopter:-D

An Autogyro depends on a free rotating rotary lift wing which provides lift by airflow over the rotating wing during the forward motion of the aircraft. The classic example was the AVRoe licence built version of the Cierva Autogiro C30 A as the AVRO Rota Mk1. The autogyro in German service you are probably thinking of is the Focke- Achgelis FA 330 Bachstelze -wagtail which was to be used by the navy as a sophisticated observation kite by U Boats.

The FW61 is a true helicopter (Louis Breguet system) having two counter rotating driven rotary wings driven by two rather long drive shafts from the radial engine (the fuslarge was a lift from a FW44 trainer) the nose propellers only function was to cool the radial engine.

This led to FA 223 Drache which would have gone into full production in mid 1942 had the allies not bombed out the factory. Only about 5 were finished but they saw some service, 2 in semi civilian/trials role out of Gatow-Berlin and the other 3 in military service for transport in Bavaria.

On surrender 1 was destroyed by its crew 1 went to US and the other came to UK where it crashed when the drive shaft to one rotar broke.

Steve