Club house quiz: Jerrycan facts.

Tony B

Just got hold of Max Hasting's Armageddon, but at six hundred and sixty two pages, a review may be some time. However according to the book, of the 22,000,000 jerrycans shipped to France bettween D-Day and September 1944, half had disappeared. (I do know where two of 'em ended up :cool2:)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

coppied from the germans,who coppied from the italians,is that right.how many different wealds on each can?Someone told me three,dunno.

I was going to make a guess but having read the answer on another site I was going to post that but I seem to have gotten ahead of the game so I will remove my previous post that Degsy is referring to below.

Edited by abn deuce

• 3 weeks later...

The LWB would take 125 cans on one layer which theoretically would weigh 5000lbs US or 2.5 US tons which is the off road capacity however a double row which would reach to the top of the side rack would be the maximum allowable on road load (5 US tons). To get this weight on to the SWB would obviously require a third layer of cans which would be above the height of the side racks. However as the 352 was not normally used as a cargo truck and I can't ever remember seeing a pic of a 352 loaded with jerry cans I suppose the question is really hypothetical, although no doubt somebody will now produce a pic of a SWB loaded with jerry cans:-D

Whilst doing some pre season tidying to his DAF weapons carrrier , my brother recently discovered , whilst repainting one of his cans , that somebody had very carefully gone over the original date with body filler and then carved it back out to show a date of 1955 instead of the actual date of 1970 .

Made us wonder who would actually want to go to that much trouble !

In my previous post I should have credied Catman from the CCKW forum for the GMC/jerry can details, he gives the weight of a full can as 40lbs US

Having lifted many a can I would have put the weight higher than that, closer to 50lbs Imperial but perhaps I'm just getting weak in my old age.:-D

So Gents, a US pint of petrol weighs about 3/4 of a pound weight. So a US gallon wieghs about 6 lbs. Now who knows the tare weight of a US Jerry can? Incedentaly the ones in the picture have 'British' tops.

I've sen that pic many times, if you look closely Tony you'll see a number of American cans mixed in there but what I'd really like to see it in colour as there appears to be so many different coloured cans.

In my previous post I should have credied Catman from the CCKW forum for the GMC/jerry can details, he gives the weight of a full can as 40lbs US

Having lifted many a can I would have put the weight higher than that, closer to 50lbs Imperial but perhaps I'm just getting weak in my old age.:-D

Well if a US jerry can does hold 5 US Gallons that works out to be 40 US Pints, as a US Pint is the same as a UK Pint.

With the weight of fuel at approx 737 Kg/cu mtr.

737/1000=0.737 Kg/Ltr jerry can has approx 20 Ltrs so

0.737x20=14.75 Kg x 2.2 to get Lbs = 32 Lbs plus the weight of the can so 40 Lbs could be about right.

Found out the Germans marked their cans at 20Kg on the sides when full, so that would be about 44 Lbs.

Don't know if this clears up anything or makes it worse :??? :???

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Empty british can 10lbs water 45 lbs total 55lbs did for the expedition.dont know the weight of petrol i supose leaded would be heavier:rofl:

Empty british can 10lbs water 45 lbs total 55lbs did for the expedition.dont know the weight of petrol i supose leaded would be heavier:rofl:

British metal jerrican with petrol ; 43 lbs / 20 kg

British metal jerrican - empty ; 10 lbs / 5 kg

British plastic jerrican with water ; 50 lbs / 23 kg

British plastic jerrican - empty ; 5 lbs / 2 kg

.........taken from helicopter loading pamphlet.