Aec av1100t

antarmike

Question

24 answers to this question

Cheers, that's the sort of info I wanted. A certain gentleman who writes books has it down as 235 BHP, but seeing as my Rolls Royce C6T Turbo is only 12.17 litres and gives 300 BHP, and is about the same vintage, and technology, to only be able to get 235 BHP from an 18 litre lump of the same age seems ridiculous. He may be right, but now I feel its worth further research.

AEC's own normally aspirated AV 760 of 12.4 litres gives up to 265 BHP!

Edited by antarmike

A certain gentleman who writes books has it down as 235 BHP,

Mike,

I take it that this about the Antar which was fitted with a AV1100? If so, Bart Vanderveen has it as 360bhp in the entry on this vehicle in his post-1945 military vehicle directory ( he is rarely wrong ).

Sounds like this certain gentleman does not do his research. ;)

I can't say whose work I am looking at but I read a figure and I thought, why would they take a vehicle that has a 260 BHP Meteorite engine already fitted and be pi55ing around trialling a New engine that only gave 235BHP when the whole idea was to improve the performance of the early vehicles, which had to be said was sluggish....I just wanted to know if my gut feeling that a Turbocharged 17.89 litre Diesel has to give out more than 235, when my 12.17 turbo lump gives 300B.H.P.

W.Stevens-Stratten,in AEC Trucks in Camera, gives 340hp for the dumptruck. He seems to have access to a lot of spec sheets for AEC.

Nick Baldwin in Giant Dumptrucks quotes 340bhp (up to 410bhp SAE gross) from the 17.75 litre lump.

You may be interested to know Mike that this HDK4LA dumper was developed at AEC's Maudslay truck factory.

340 bhp would be about right as engines are typically downrated a little for dumptruck applications.

Phew it's hot in here by the wood fire, I must take my anorak off.

Mike,

You may be interested in a FVRDE report that is available from The National Archives at Kew.

Piece details: WO 194/1206

Tractor, 30 tons GS 6x4 T/croft Antar AVT1100/RV30

Dated 1967

FVRDE Report and photos, ref. no. FT/B 858

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

Richard, I have tried most combinations of the above but failed to find the document.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

Richard, I have tried most combinations of the above but failed to find the document.

Mike,

Use that link you have, and in the top left corner there is a seach box, type in this reference, WO 194 / 1206 this will bring the entry up, you cannot see the file online, but it will give you info in order to go and view it, or get a researcher to do it.

Mike,

Use that link you have, and in the top left corner there is a seach box, type in this reference, WO 194 / 1206 this will bring the entry up, you cannot see the file online, but it will give you info in order to go and view it, or get a researcher to do it.

Thanks Richard, I was using the 'search the catalogue' section and it wasn't having it.