Scammell Explorer (Big Jenny)

Last time I checked both beams are turning on the bushes, the bushes being stuck on the axle. I would go along with waiting till they have got more movement before trying to remove the beams.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i'm now a scammell widow! Little Jenny has decided the scammell life is not for her :( So i've lust got the cats to keep me company at the mo. Am spending plenty of time on the truck now as not much else to do and am now in the market for a new woman. Have placed a wanted ad for a new woman but don't think the moderators took it seriously as it seems to have disapeared ( hope i'm not in trouble:shake:) Can't think of a better place to find new love for a scammell man!:cool2:

I also need a new name for the scammell ( good job i havent got round to painting the name in it) so any suggestions would be nice!!

Don,t worry we are still on good terms and the Scammell won't be up for sale....May end up living in it but.. hey ho!!!

I also need a new name for the scammell ( good job i havent got round to painting the name in it) so any suggestions would be nice!!

Robert,

You could give it the name DRATSABASTI ........as it was used on an Explorer in service, it is authentic, in case anyone asks.

:coffee:

Well have removed the other rear spring. Had to heat each ubolt nut for 20 mins with the parrafin blowlamp then apply 12 foot scaffold pipe to the 3/4" breaker bar.... which promptly broke.....:( welded the breaker bar and 3 hours later had 4 nuts undone!! Now looking forward to drilling out the 1/2" spring clip bolts that go through the leaves:shake:

Got the bolts out of the spring tonight gut had a bit of a moment when undoing the main bolt that runs through the middle of all the leaves..... it broke:shocked: managed to hold onto the braker bar as the socket and nut fired themselves round the garage:shake:. Lots of tension in one of those rear springs you know!!! Any way now looking for replacement center spring bolt clampy together thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Right...sorted... got a clampy together bolt thingy 1/2" unf and knocked the corners of it in the lathe. Spring is now reassembled and sitting on the floor in the garage waiting for me to be botherd to plop it back on the scammell. To be honest i'm not going anywhere near it in this f****ng weather:mad:

• 2 weeks later...

Got the spring back on and have painted the waking beam in red oxide. I then decided to investigate the lack of oil pressure in the rear axle. Oh dear:cry: Upon removing the cover from the rear of the axle the oil pmp gear fell out still with the shaft attached! The oil pump is smashed to bits. So now i am looking for an oil pump, oil pump drive gear and the gear that bolts on to the back of the worm.:confused: Worth popping down to Halfords???

• 4 weeks later...

HI:wave: Well at last i have painted the whole chassis and axle black....no more black paint.....for a few years anyway. I have also managed to overhaul the dynamo and refit and the batterys now charge for the first time in 3 years!!:yay: Have just done the headgasket on the compressor (again) cos i think i was a bit shy with the torque wrench last time:(.

I think i have setteled on a new name for it too...... From this day forth it shall be known as.......Binky.:) (top marks for anyone who can tell me who or what it's named after:readbook:)

In other news.....I think i might have met a sexy new lady :cool2: but it's still early days so we'll see how it goes. we shall be up at the shewsbury steam rally thingy on sunday for the day if anyone going.

Next job one the scammell.....odds and sods.....but there are loads of them:shake:

I think i have setteled on a new name for it too...... From this day forth it shall be known as.......Binky.:) (top marks for anyone who can tell me who or what it's named after:readbook:)

:shake:

Is it because he likes to bite tourist that get too close with those great steel jaws of his? :-D

• 3 weeks later...

Well i freed off the sticky brake servo today fitted a wiper motor. Also fitted two shiney new diesel filters cos it was never fitted with any when the diesel engine was fitted. All the stupid extended breather pipes have been removed so now the air system has stopped filling with water:)(Makes a bit more hissing and whooshing noise when braking and steering but never mind) Next job is to make a small instrument panel and fit some gauges and an ignition key.