Scammell Explorer (Big Jenny)

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I phoned up about a spare diff today, The good news is the trucks still there Looking very sad. The bad news is its sank in to the mud in a forest, there is a great big generator on the back and there is no lifting gear at the sight. This one will have to be the back up plan if i can't find something a little easier to get at:undecided:

Sounds like an outing for landyandy and the conqueror ARV.

That oil pump gives a huge gush of oil to the rear bearing and increases with engine speed so even in the lower gears we get a good flow at full throttle:cool2: I'm going to try and clean the oil that came out last time as it was only in there for about 20 miles and only had slight bronze in it. It' not like the oil is golden when you look at it but when you look REALLY close there is bronze flakes in it:( Next time i drop the oil i will try to leaver the crown wheel about through the drain plug and take a photo of said burrs. I'm going to get a large leaver and give the pinion a good inspection just to make sure there is no play..

Just a thought, can you get the diff out on a normal truck with it on its road tyres on the ground, if so the one in the forest all you need to do is dig a hole under it and make a pit to get at the diff !!!! or could you winch the truck on its side :wow:

If your pump wont prime have you thought of putting a non return valve in line just before the inlet to the pump, the other thing which might be better is route both the inlet and outlet pipes up above and then down to the pump so it always has oil in it, you might be getting a draining effect with the flow out from the pump draining the pump through the gears of it in to the diff.

Good luck.

Well i dropped the oil out the rear axle today and it's not as bad as the first lot of oil i drained out:undecided: I am currently putting it through the centrifuge and it's coming out bronze free, infact a quick check revealed i nice layer of bronze stuck to the rotor in my filter:) There is also a lot of steel fragments in the oil too.....which is a tad more concerning:undecided: I had a good look through the drain hole at the crown wheel, It is pitted....very pitted in fact.....With some scuffing on both sides of the gear. Why would it be pitted? could some muppet have filled it with an EP oil that has eaten it away and then the bits of bronze have scuffed the driving face?

there is next to no backlash in the worm and wheel nor can i see any end float in the crown wheel.....all very odd...I guess there is about 5 degrees of backlash in the prop flange through the whole rear axle before the wheels can be seen to turn. There is more free play on my land rover back axle:shocked: a few more oil changes an cleans me thinks:embarrassed:

• 1 month later...

Anybody got a 1400 r 20 part worn bargrip? Just found a nice big split in the tread on one of mine:( Can you still get the road tread 1400 r 20's that they had on the front of the pioneer? If so how much? Might consider a pair of those one day....Crock....when you put bar grips on your front wheels Crock.....Crock?

Anybody got a 1400 r 20 part worn bargrip? Just found a nice big split in the tread on one of mine:( Can you still get the road tread 1400 r 20's that they had on the front of the pioneer? If so how much? Might consider a pair of those one day....Crock....when you put bar grips on your front wheels Crock.....Crock?

Bargrips are on the front of mine now, the road pattern ones are lurking somewhere.:D

You kept that quiet Rob................. afraid of the HMVF gang turning up and drinking all the beer?:beer::whistle:

Many congratulations to you both.

Too right, not enough beer in the White Lion or in Colwyn Bay i should think:) I gave you a blast on the horn when i passed though:cool2: Hope to be at the transport do this year as well.....

Too right, not enough beer in the White Lion or in Colwyn Bay i should think:) I gave you a blast on the horn when i passed though:cool2: Hope to be at the transport do this year as well.....

Damn, I'm passing the White Lion all the time at the mo' and to think I missed you:mad:............I might just have something to take there if things go to plan.:cool2:

• 4 weeks later...

took the Scammell out for a spin today and had a nice blast flat out to the beach to walk the dog, Got to car park and my axle oil pump system was not pumping. Anyway walked dog the drove home and found pump still not working:embarrassed: On removing the suction pipe from the pump with the engine running i found no suction at all. I then sucked the oil up the pipe to the pump and squirted oil into the pump with an oil can and quickly bunged the pipe back on.....nothing happened, In fact the oil drained back down the pipe with the pump running.....The pump is goosed:cry:

I'm back to plan F now.....Jack up scammell put it in top gear and sit under it looking to see if any oil is passed through the back brearings. If oil appears it's going without a pump for now.

I am still looking for an axle oil pump to put in the axle so if you know of one drop me a line, I also need the gears to turn it cos they were chewed up too...... Should have bought a Millitant........

So whats the opinion regards running without an oil pump? Some people have run for years without a functioning oil pump in their axle. Other say not to go anywhere without a pump, Some say there is a good splash of oil when running. Another bloke had one fail but can't say how long it ran before he noticed it had failed but it must have been hundreds of miles towing a living van, His axle survived........ That's the problem with forums eh?

any thoughts?:nut:

BLOODY HELL I'VE JUST HAD A EUREKA MOMENT........:laugh: Without going out to check i think i might have cracked it....

Here's my plan.......Bugger to pumping oil to the pinion i'm more concerned about the rear pinion bearings. So hows about this......There must be a hell of a lot of oil gushing round the top of the axle casing near the pinion right? all being flung off the worm and wheel? And it's got to be running down the inside of the casing where the pinion oil jet holes are..... So what if i drilled out one of the oil jet holes (if nessary, How big are they?) and then poked a sort of scoop through in to the worm cavity like a pipe cut into a U shape at the end.....I could then feed the oil that is caught by this "scoop thingy" under gravity to the casing where the oil pump was and thus keep the back bearing fed with oil!!!!! No moving parts no stupid pumps.....nothing but good old reliable gravity.....It's got to work....I'm going for a look outside right now.....in the dark:-D

Right back in now and i looks like it's possible. I will need to remove the plate on the side of the axle that holds the oil cooler and also has the pipe fittings on for the feed from the oil pump and to the oil jet holes. I am hoping that when i remove this plate i will find the two oil jet holes looking at me and all the oil ways are in the plate i will have removed. I might even be able to use both oil jet holes to provide a feed.... The bottom of the oil pump case is about two or three inches lower than the oil jet holes but we only need a dribble don't we. Just think how much grease is in your wheel bearings on your car......... I will keep you informed of the progress when i pull my finger out. Anybody had that oil cooler plate off whats under it......I might even drill the axle case......