Is this American ?

R Cubed

This has me foxed. It looks typical Bedford construction, not a QL, pretty sure not RL. There appears to be steering box mounting that would make it right hand drive. The winch is not familiar, I thought it might be Canadian CMP Chevrolet, but does not match up. I have a feeling the winch might not be original for the chassis. Is the diff missing from the rear axle? Any more photos?

This has me foxed. It looks typical Bedford construction, not a QL, pretty sure not RL. There appears to be steering box mounting that would make it right hand drive. The winch is not familiar, I thought it might be Canadian CMP Chevrolet, but does not match up. I have a feeling the winch might not be original for the chassis. Is the diff missing from the rear axle? Any more photos?

Does not have diff or half shafts, the front chassis cross member looks like GMC but the next one back is not ?? foxed me to but dont know my British trucks very well !!!

Richard - you say you're foxed. I think this is a CMP chassis. Have a look at "CMP Vehicle Series Vol 2" at the pull out for the armoured GM Fox!

I'm not saying it is from one of them but the webbed spring hangers look very similar as does the central frame member.

From the little you can see, the back axle looks to be wearing 16" rims with 10.50 boots. The hub looks like CMP.

Also strong similarities to the CGT chassis shown "Blueprint for Victory" page 42.

The winch isn't CMP design as far as I'm aware.

I looked in a CMP Chev manual and it could be, as front engine bearer is similar to Chev. Winch is not the same as shown in the manual, may have been added later. Transfer box looks Chev as does rear axle with removable diff as a unit. Another telling feature is the brackets on front end of chassis rails, same as CMP. The thing that bugs me is the "platform" for what looks like the steering box, not sure if that is CMP :confused:.

FAt has a "split axle "type drive for the winch drum (chevrolet and ford), and if it was FAT mounted it was mounted in the round hole with bolt holes in the X member , 15CWT trucks still had the winch x member in , and no winch . There is just a coupling then between tranfer case and winch , no prop shaft.

Ford Chassis has x member were gearbox mounts into , this is for sure Chev , because gearbox sits on top of x member.

it looks like a whats left of a cmp12cab chev my father got hold of and started to restore that had the same winch and and spring helpers grafted in and onto it as none standard items. the truck was used as a breakdown for morgans of bishopwaltham.my father sold it to a guy who wanted it for spares and the new rear steel gs body he made from scratch for it.it could be the one or its twin !

The LAAT is not in my Chev manual, is the winch any different to the FAT?

The chassis is more likely Chev than ford as the front engine bearer seems to show the two mounting bolt holes in the centre.

The front cross member looks very much like a GMC so the Chev link could be right, very interesting that it has foxed so many people here, keep guessing :cool2:

Any pic of the full vehicle, CMP, or what you think it might be !!

No sorry I have not got the faintest idea of what it is :??? :??? :???

I believe the winch is original and in the correct place as the prop has not been cut and the winch mounts are riveted and the prop passes through a chassis cross member.

I am surprised that some of you out there are not sure either.

I will get some better pics and post soon might even get a chassis number !!

Stay tuned.

No sorry I have not got the faintest idea of what it is :??? :??? :???

I believe the winch is original and in the correct place as the prop has not been cut and the winch mounts are riveted and the prop passes through a chassis cross member.

I am surprised that some of you out there are not sure either.

I will get some better pics and post soon might even get a chassis number !!

Stay tuned.

The only Chevy CMP with winch that I do not have a manual for is the C60S LAA gun tractor. If you can work out the wheelbase, measure roughly from centre of front shackle mountings to centre of rear axle, it might give a clue. The construction of the winch does not match up with the CMP Field artillery tractor (FAT).

Chassis tip to toe is 13' 10" has 10.5 x 16 tyres if thats any help

That is 166 ins, a 15cwt 4x4 is total length, 171 ins, this would include bumper and slight overhang of body, so that fits the bill, except one thing, they did not have winches as far as I know, so it is an adaption. Also they had 900-16 tyres so looking like it is a 15cwt then.

Richard according to Bart the LAA tractor was based on the 30cwt chassis not the 3ton, have you a manual for this? The tyre size would tie up with this but the overall length looks a bit much. What do you think?

Degsy,

Not got a manual on this model, unfortunately.

Well checking the Canadian vehicle data book, reprint of original army book, they were C60S or F60S, which is short wheelbase 3 ton chassis. John Marchant's Canadian vehicle register book, has details of a number of them, with 60, not 30 in their designations. I did see Bart's book and think he might be refering to an early type. Let us say it might be an LAA, still not sure about this winch though.

Would you say that the 10.5" tyres are right or would the wheels of had 9.00 x16 ?

From the pic it seems the wheels stick out quite a lot from the rear drums is this common for these types of trucks ? would they be duals on there.

Would you say that the 10.5" tyres are right or would the wheels of had 9.00 x16 ?

From the pic it seems the wheels stick out quite a lot from the rear drums is this common for these types of trucks ? would they be duals on there.

At this stage of its life, there is no guarantee that these 16" wheels are original size, 20" will interchange.

So who here is bidding on it then, come on own up !!!!!!!!!!!!!

well its being bid on now ends tonight, up to £52 so far, more than I am willing to pay I wanted the t/fer box thought it might fit the GMC but wont find out now !!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=190278824821