What went wrong here

Great War truck

As you may know Steve designs and builds rock crushers for Terex. He occasionally send photos of his crushers and occasionally talks about people doing silly things (usually involving climbing inside while the thing is on - and well you know how that story ends). He just sent me three photos of a crusher to which something quite unusual has happened. Anybody want to guess what went wrong with this one:

P1050262.jpg

P1050277.jpg

P1050263.jpg

Tim (too)

You seem to all know about this sort of thing. It was an unexploded shell that did it.

Would a magnet have picked it up i wonder? Maybe Steve should put in a sensor that when i magnetic item is identified that is too big to pick up then it shute the whole thing down. Steve! What are your thoughts?

Tim (too)

This is not one of my crushers so I can't offer definitive comments. However in general use, it is normal to put the magnet on the discharge side to remove rebar and such like once the concrete has been crushed off of it. Whilst jaw crushers don't like steel, their closed side setting is often of the order of 100mm so bigger bits can get through and they are reasonably tolerant of the sort of steel they might be fed. Hopefully, anything bigger will be spotted by the excavator driver. Well, most of the time.

The marine aggregate people often dredge up munitions so theirs is a special case and they would put magnets before the crusher to pull things out. Of course, their feedstock is usually small stuff anyway so there shouldn't be anything big enough to trap the steel. I have heard of crushers being used to remove anti-personnel mines by feeding the topsoil through them thus detonating the mines but I have no idea how effective that was. Sounds pretty frightening to me. One of my colleagues went out to see a machine in the quarry and found that it had a bent jaw. Apparently, this had been caused by part of the quarry blast not detonating until it reached the crusher!

This crusher was working in France on a WW1 battlefield and, as crushers are pretty robust by their general nature, I would guess that it must have been subjected to a pretty big bang and the excavator driver given quite a fright!

As far as detecting FOD goes. At college a certain well known manufacturer demonstrated a super luxury silage cutter . With X ray, magnetic detectors, RADAR and little Pixes to remove anything that might damage. Ran for about forty five minutes before it picked up a brick. Six weeks to repair.

I can't remember if I've posted this story up before, but -

I had an exploration drilling job to do (8" continuous flight auger). The arhaeologists gave clearance but advised it was a WW1 airfield and that munitions incl. Mills bombs were known to be dumped and it was also bombed by Zeppellin, often these bombs did not explode.

So client telephones police and asks for Bomb Disposal to see if they can clear the location of each borehole by sniffer device or whatever. Police say they will relay info as we cannot talk direct to BD.

An hour later client gets phone call from concerned farmer who has been informed by Police that a UXB has been discovered by the drilling contractor on his land.

Client speaks to Police again to put them right, who later come back with these instructions - "If you hit a bomb phone us and we'll send out Bomb Disposal". Bit late don't you think???

We just got on with the job, but it was in the back of our minds all the while.....

And the thing is, we still don't know what if any service the Bomb Disposal team can offer in terms if locating buried munitions, since we are unable to talk direct to them or get an accurate message to them :confused:

Edited by N.O.S.

A certain place in England, sus pack in car park. Full scale eveac. Phone EOD, 'Right on way' One hour later, phone call 'We are in villiage where are you?'

'Where abouts in villiage are you?'

Follows a description no one had any idea where they were taliking about

'What route did you take?'

'Well we went through the Dartford Tunnel....'

Light dawns, right villiage name, wrong county!

• 3 years later...

Where I lived about 15 years ago I dug up a live Mills grenade (typical ex WW2 'pineapple' type ) together with a large quantity of live .303 ammunition and a similar amount of live12 gauge cartridges...

....I put it all to one side until I'd finished excavating what I was doing and then called the local Police and a patrol car came within 10 minutes or so ......the officers advice was to put the grenade and the full bucket full of ammo & shells in the middle of my meadow out the back & well away from my house..

it's gotta be said that he was more than a little jittery and didn't want to touch the stuff himself at all...

I pointed out that although the grenade was live, the primer/fuse (whatever it's called) in the bottom had rusted away completely and also the pin was so rusted into the lever that there was no way it was gonna come out so, (in my humble opinion) it wasn't that dangerous....he wasn't having any of it though and called it in and said " the army will be along asap....don't touch it!" and with that he promptly cleared off!..

..within an hour or so a LandRover arrived with a soldier who nonchalantly wandered up my garden and peered in the bucket and picked the grenade up....he had a bit of a laugh when I told him about the policemans reaction and shaking his head he said "nah no worries there mate" and with that put the whole lot in the back of the LandRover and drove off....

I followed it up a few days later and was told by the local Police that it and the ammo had been dealt with up at Hereford ...

...then the local Press got hold of the story...but I'm not telling you that bit....:blush:

• 6 months later...

i had a job as restoration brick layer working on a 1882 coastal fortress in holland.

it was used and modified by the germands as part of festung ijmuiden.

we dug a lot for our work and i was happy with the small stuff like buttons and coins.

till some one found a field telephone in a box, and ran over it... with inspection it was a box of stick hand grenades in grease paper.

i also found loads of decent quality rifle ammo that i took home to have deact, and plenty of rusted stuff i dumped in the sea.

we got a machine on the island like the one on the photo, to munch the blocks of rubble that used to be bunkers.

some blocks had wires sticking out of them, some wanted to put a car battery on it, not knowing it was dynamite with picrine acid used from grenades they found in the 1970's.

the machine broke as it tried to get through a external vent hole and hot oil was everywhere.

i also remember a meter long tube, with a spring inside that leaked a fluid. a guy was grinding nearby and the fluid did catch fire (don't know what it was, tall boy bombs where used in the region... a part of it?) and the bomb squad took it with a mortar bomb and a few handgrenades that came rolling in a pit after some sand gave way. i loved that job, the best place a 17 to 22 year old could wish and it fired up my intrest in guns + ammo and family history.

i shal look for some pictures of the old fortress.

cheers,

Arjan

As you may know Steve designs and builds rock crushers for Terex. He occasionally send photos of his crushers and occasionally talks about people doing silly things (usually involving climbing inside while the thing is on - and well you know how that story ends). He just sent me three photos of a crusher to which something quite unusual has happened. Anybody want to guess what went wrong with this one:

Tim (too)

Very interesting.

Had to borrow the pictures as working in the building industry we come across people who seem to think UXO/UXB are not something to worry about

Mike

Further to my previous post and out of total curiosity, do you know the actual location of the incident?

Mike

Sorry, I don't know the location other than 'Northern France'. The photos came from our French dealer who assured us that it was 'British bomb'!

Steve

Many thanks for that.

Northern France would up the chances of it happening, especially if in the areas with the annual "iron harvest" of WW1 ordanance.

I do hope nobody was hurt.

It just goes to show that regardless of time, it can still come back and bite you.

I work for a civil and structural engineering consultancy and we recently had a client say why do I need a UXO/UXB assessment (cost money) as the war was years ago. There are areas that are vacant since and even if built on is no guarantee.

That bit of UXO had obviously survived landing, being dug up (possibly even built over) and only made its existance known when somebody tried to turn it into hardcore.

Mike

France.

http://www.popfi.com/2011/02/07/massive-wwii-bomb-prompts-evacuations-in-france/

I'm surprised that the Krauts didn't defuse it, be better to try that than to blow it in-situ.

Easier to to destroy it insitu rather than have the defusers scatter themselves over a wide area if it decided to go pop.

Bricks and mortar can be replaced

My colleague at work dug up the nose cone off a Zepp bomb while tidying his garden in Walthamstow - it was compacted with earth and looked lethal so he dialled the three digits and the cops got in the RLC chaps. They had a wonderful photo guide of world war bomb types to identify the thing from. Hence why we know what it is. I was subsequently able to tell me colleague the date of the raid, who the Zepp commander was and pretty much what his cat had eaten for breakfast on that sunny morning in 1915. For this my colleague hoped to sell me the thing for the price of, I dunno, four nights playing dominoes with Katherine Jenkins, whatever floats your boat; I declined. His arse is tighter than any duck I know of. But that's Evertonians for you.