My Kubel in Films

Steve 82

Trying to establish some more post-war details about my 1945 Kubelwagen.

From the previous owner, I understand it was brought to the UK during the late 40`s / early 1950`s and sold to a vehicle provider to the film industry by the name of Babtis/ Baylis ?? (a company, based in London which apparently proided many of the German vehicles to British post-war made ww2 movies).

Have no positive indication which films it was used in, although a couple of titles were mentioned. Unfortunatly, Babtis had up to 10 or more Kubels at their peak and it would be difficult confirming this without records made at the time.

The company eventually broke up sometime during the 80`s due to the death of the original owner and the collection sold-off. The guy I aquired e vehicle from then purchased the vehicle in the mid 1990`s and jointly restored it, whereupon it played in several TV films - including `Island at War` and `Hitlers Britain` (have unrefutable evidence of that)

I then aquired the vehicle in 2005 - and had to rebuild most of the mechanicals due to it never having not been restored / registered for road use post war. The VW factory at Wolfsburg helped with documetation here. Finally, I registered the vehicle in 2007, and am just getting used to using it on a regular basis.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone any knowledge of the film company `Babtis`in London ??

Regards

Steve

DSCF1572ss.JPG

Hi i lived just round the corner from baptys storage yard !! They had the only surviving jeep tank /a canadian project/interesting !! Mark dineley was the owner /jim dowdall was one of the drivers /recently on milweb selling a jeep trailer i .think. West sussex area/good luck !!!

"Hi very nice Kubel

even nicer with out SS number plates and spurious "Normandy Camo"

I agree - and for a 1945 vehicle it is very likely that there was very little camo paint left in Germany for non-armoured fighting vehicles, as suggested by photographic evidence

According to my sources (which are buried deep and not seen for 20 years), B vehicles weren't normally expected to use cam paint anyway ... or carry Balkankreuz or callsign, just unit tac sign. Doesn't mean it didn't happen but that was the spec I have read.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I managed to contact Jim Dowdall who confirmed that all the Baptys Kubels took part in the 'Dirty Dozen' and ' It happened Here'. The lack of records will almost certainly prevent linking my vehicle to any other Baptys films, but its a big help nevertheless. So thanks guys for the lead, and of course - to Jim.

Cheers

Steve

• 1 month later...