Jeeps !!

Nick Johns

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Could try to reenact this with the Jeep section at W&P in years to come

i THink the picture was taken at the hop farm its just been made to look old.:-D

• 2 weeks later...
I'll supply the slat grill for the front row.

i cant help but notice, i have never seen that many jeeps in one place and not a single one has 101st airbourne markings!!!:-)

Baz

Well spotted, no unit markings at all.

So these were about to be shipped to theire units and marked upon arrival.

I gave up counting at 256 - average price seems to be £14,000 these days so there's at least £3,584,000 worth of Jeeps sitting in that picture..... :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

& sadly there's only 456 of them left still in existence... teehee...

I'll get me coat!

Although this a post WW2 photo , Just imagine how many times this scene was repeated around the world as surplus vehicles were stockpiled awaited to be destroyed now that the war was over !< from the Life magazine files>

Old Jeeps parked in a field rusting away unwanted.

Location:Okinawa, Japan Date taken December 1949 Photographer:Carl Mydans

jeepsinafield.jpg

Edited by abn deuce
added original details

• 2 months later...

A few of the other kind of Jeeps the Amphibious type

Quite a number

Caption : Camp Pickett/Usaf Equipment En Masse Hundred of 1/4-ton amphibous trucks ("seeps" or "ducks") lined up for shipment overseas to the front, in huge lot at Army Service Forces assembly depot at Camp Pickett. Location: VA, US Date taken: 1943 Photographer: Margaret Bourke-White

amphJeeps-1.jpg

• 1 year later...

I thought that the previous photo's of the surplus jeeps and trailers gave an idea of the volume involved of the surplus equipment .

How very wrong I was , while the story in this youtube clip Really is shocking and its a shame the still photo's are not very detailed the scope of what was stockpiled and destroyed just after WWII is ........... I cant find a word . If you then think of how many vehicles where then rebuilt and sent to Korea just a few years later its stunning .

I now its been said before if all this surplus survived then the value of those in preservation would be much less . Just for a moment think of the spare parts junked !He also speaks of entire loaded ships sunk !:nut:

The veteran talked of this being only one of a number of simular sites :shocked::shocked:

Something went wrong...

Could try to reenact this with the Jeep section at W&P in years to come

If you tried at W&P it wouldnn't look like that, instead of standard jeeps you would have a field of "SAS" jeeps, etc, bristleing with every conceivable weapon it was posible to bolt on......