What make?

No Signals

Thanks for that guys. Next question then has to be was this a common vehicle to find being used by UK units? Anyone know if there are there any still around on the circuit? Going by the sequence of others in the album I believe this photo was taken either in the UK or in Mechelen(?) Belgium. Did the truck stay this style throughout the war or did it only appear mid war onwards etc? I'll be doing some searching myself but someone might know the answer straight up. This might help me tie down some dates and places regarding his service 'pattern' as this isnt known other than by his campaign stars. Cheers fellas.

Edited by No Signals

Going by the sequence of others in the album I believe this photo was taken either in the UK or in Mechelen(?) Belgium.

The lintel arrangement on the background building looks clearly Belgian to me. Mechelen (spelled 'Malines' by the French) is certainly a possibility but sometimes confused with Machelen which is now a suburb of Brussels close to the military airfield at Melsbroek / Zaventem which had a strong British presence.

Everything points to post liberation and they're warmly dressed. The winter of 1944 /45 would seem most likely.

Rich (in Belgium)

The lintel arrangement on the background building looks clearly Belgian to me. Mechelen (spelled 'Malines' by the French) is certainly a possibility but sometimes confused with Machelen which is now a suburb of Brussels close to the military airfield at Melsbroek / Zaventem which had a strong British presence.

Everything points to post liberation and they're warmly dressed. The winter of 1944 /45 would seem most likely.

Rich (in Belgium)

Brilliant Rich, thanks for that. The spelling in the album was actually Mechelin, which didnt come out as anywhere in my atlas so I presumed it was what I posted previously. But the Brussels connection is good as he also has a photo of Brussels in the album. Another picture shows 'Mechelin from the barrack tower' and there are other pictures taken I would guess at the same time as the truck shot showing more of the same damaged 'workshops' which they appear to be repairing.

Winter 44/45 poses an interesting one as the family thought he was in Burma at that time so this will have to be gone in to more. It could be he was posted out to the Far East in early '45 though. Pics of the VJ day parade, with Sunderlands doing a flypast, at Singapore confirm his presence there.

Another picture shows 'Mechelin from the barrack tower' and there are other pictures taken I would guess at the same time as the truck shot showing more of the same damaged 'workshops' which they appear to be repairing.

Winter 44/45 poses an interesting one as the family thought he was in Burma at that time so this will have to be gone in to more. It could be he was posted out to the Far East in early '45 though. Pics of the VJ day parade, with Sunderlands doing a flypast, at Singapore confirm his presence there.

Any chance of seeing some more pictures. Do the barracks look anything like this ? :-

gebouwav3qw3.th.jpg

If so, they've now been pulled down to make way for the offices of Telenet, my Internet provider !

The great fear of British Servicemen in NW Europe after VE day was that they would be sent to the Far East. Thankfully, it all ended before most of them could go.

A large number of D60's were used in North Africa and later in Italy, but by the time they reached Italy they were worn out. Old factories were taken over by the Army and Italian labour was utilised to rebuild trucks just as was done with jeeps etc.

Any chance of seeing some more pictures. Do the barracks look anything like this ? :-

gebouwav3qw3.th.jpg

If so, they've now been pulled down to make way for the offices of Telenet, my Internet provider !

The great fear of British Servicemen in NW Europe after VE day was that they would be sent to the Far East. Thankfully, it all ended before most of them could go.

Note to the mods- given that this thread is obviously now not a British vehicle enquiry you might wish to move it somewhere more relevant.

This is the best of the pics which show the town, the others just didnt scan well at all. (They are not too good to start with : ) ! ) The building is the same as there appears to be one of the pointed tower tops/finials visible in the bottom left of the shot. The others are taken in front of the same damaged building and dont show much else than the first. Not even a unit sign anywhere in view. The last pic is an earlier one from his days serving as a gunner on armed merchantmen on the Atlantic/Russian convoys. He later went on to italy, again initially on a ship- I didnt realise the Navy were so short of gunners. Another pic in the album shows his mate on the 12pdr at Taranto and another on an oerlikon at Alex. Both on board the S.S Samdak.

mechelin.jpg

mechelin2.jpg

atlantic.jpg

Edited by No Signals

It's sometimes difficult to separate the vehicles from the men who used them (and I'm not sure that we should be trying to !)

Definitely Mechelen and definitely winter I would say, judging by the chimney smoke. That certainly looks to be St Rombouts Cathedral on the skyline.

Although built in Canada the Dodge D15 and D60 are without doubt British vehicles,they were built for and mainly used by British units. The truck in Nick's photo is in fact a D15 which had been extended by a post war user,now in the process of being restored to original spec last I heard.

Ron the old guy who owns the yard where I keep my vehicles, loves the Dodge. He keeps telling me he had a Dodge truck when he was demobbed. he managed to get for £300, bear in mind a house didn't cost much more at the time, he raves about it the speed and the loads it carried, in the end he sold it to a haulage firm for £600 apparently this firm only used Dodges, I'll see if he can remember the name.