Tanks in a....Town

Jack

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive just picked up on this thread, and very interesting too. I agree that while HMVF brings everyone under the same interests in an ideal world if you were to represent it under a historical ideal you would have to remain true to that, ie Normandy build up. I think it would be a good compromise to maybe do a date for post WW2 vehicles maybe on the day after if opinion was such. But there are a lot of shows and a lot of dates in the calendar for people to go to events. I for one wouldnt go to a shindig of WW2 vehicles if I only had an interest in post WW2, in fact I would welcome anything extra in the calendar, especially in this neck of the woods! To cut a long post short, if you are doing something on a historical note you should remain true to that. As a previous comment stated, you wouldnt go to a re-enactment of roman legionnaries only to have them taken out by snipers. Just my thoughts...

OK - cooled down.

This is where we are - on Tuesday I have a gentleman coming to my office for a meeting with regards to staging a tanks in town event.

The theme is the build up to D-day, the prelude to Normandy so it is based in WW2. So this will strictly be a WW2 event/experience. I do not underestimate the challenges of having an armoured column driving through towns and villages.

That is going to be hard enough - just try and imagine for one moment trying to organise a column of FV 4201's. Not sure that a 55 ton Cheftain would get away with it.

So to reaffirm, underline and to make quite clear. This is a WW2 event and with discussions that I had yesterday and with the meeting on Tuesday - this is going to be very very special and completely unique. After Tuesday I will be able to tell you were we are planning to have this - to say the place that we are planning to have it in is historic is a complete understatement.

Remember this will be the first of its kind in the UK.

I organise WWII themed events (or as Jack calls them experiences) because I have a passion for WWII vehicles, the era, the nostalgia, the history behind it all and the social element to the hobbie via meeting like-minded people to myself who share the similar interest.

If I was passionate about Bedford RL's, Scammell Explorer's, Saladins and Saracens I would get off my backside and organise a similar styled event to 'Route to Victory' or 'Bolero,' but themed around the British Army in the late 1950's and probably base the event at Lulworth in Dorset, Layburn in Lancashire or Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire.

When oh when is a Post War vehicle owner/operator going to stop kicking-up a fuss every-time a pro-active individual who has the desire to run an event/show/experience (call it whatever) aimed at solely WWII vehicle owners actually going to organise a comparable event, but aimed at the era of vehicle that he/she chooses and that of what they personally enjoy and what satisfy's them?

Don't bleet at Jack for wanting to do a WWII Tank in Town event - Its his graft, his heartache, his time and effort and his decision as to what, where, when and who is eligible to participate - Just like myself when I stuck my neck out with Bolero and Gathering of Eagles and was not prepared to back down upon or compromise.

Ok, so you don't like a HMVF event being planned under a HMVf flag that excludes some of its members by default, because they happen to own a vehicle that does not fall within the remit of the historical context of the event. Its a pity, but thats just how it is.

However, if HMVF were to organise a show called 'A commemoration of the BAOR in the post WWII years' and invited members to attend the event only if they had a suitable vehicle of the period, that was indeed used by the BAOR and excluded M5 Stuart tanks and US Army Chrysler Staff Cars (of which I have owned both), would I be getting hot under the collar because I didn't have a vehicle suitable to participate? - Would I hell.

If I felt strongly enough about it I would do one of three things:

A) Obtain a vehicle that allowed me the eligible to join in.

B) Attend the event by car and jump in with somebody who did have.

C) Watch the convoy event from the side of the road and marvel at the spectacle.

Ok, as I've said before I'm not a diplomat and as you can see I don't look to fence-sit on this debate, but its just the same old argument being thrashed out again and again by the vehicle owners/collectors of the post-WWII-era machines. Ironically, It might interest you to know that the first vehicle I ever had a hand in helping to restore was an Alvis Saladin, as my Dad was a driver of these vehicles in the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanary in the late 1950's. The first Tamiya model I ever built properly was a Cheftain MBT and I still have it upstairs. The first tank I ever rode in was courtesy of the Kings Royal Hussars at Tidworth in 1989. Contrary to what people may think I am not actually anti-Post-War-Vehicles. Dad's cini-films of his times as a driver in the RWY were a firm family favourite growing-up at home as a youngster, but through choice, I personally get immense satisfaction at collecting vehicles and organising events based around WWII themed events/commemorations.

Each to his own I say, before we find our hobbie being dictated to us as to just what we can and can't do - Not dissimilar to how our government is rapidly dictating to us in much the same manner!

Conclusion? Channel your energy into organising events that satisfy you - Just like I started to do along with my brother and father in 1990, when as new GMC owners we embarked upon our first 'Red Ball Express' convoy event in Wiltshire.

Am now going to bed with my USAAF Flak-Helmet beside the bed tonight awaiting the ensuing barrage!

I think the new event name has put to bed the discussion now on which era so I think enough said on the subject ! Lets now all get behind it and enjoy having someone who puts themselves out to organise it ! Cant wait to see the streets blocked with vehicles as in the build up all those years ago ! :-D

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Cant wait to see the streets blocked with vehicles :-D

You should come to brixton Andy.

Tanks are not my thing but the MOPs will love it not quite sure what the objectives are is it to raise more funds for the vets.

The very best of luck Jack.We may give each other a hammering but you know you have our support.

As you all know, I have just bought a Landrover, but I am not moaning about being excluded from this event, far from it, I applaud Jack in what he is doing. Surely we are in this hobby to enjoy ourselves with our vehicles NO MATTER WHAT THE ERA?

Sorry, shouldnt shout like that, bad manners.

I propose that as this is posted on Rememberence Sunday, we stop for a second, and reflect that what we are doing with this great hobby of ours? Remembering service men and women of all eras and conflicts, because after all, if it wasnt for their sacrifice, we wouldnt be able to do what we do.

Like CW says, we are behind you Jack

Mark

As you all know, I have just bought a Landrover, but I am not moaning about being excluded from this event, far from it, I applaud Jack in what he is doing. Surely we are in this hobby to enjoy ourselves with our vehicles NO MATTER WHAT THE ERA?

Sorry, shouldnt shout like that, bad manners.

I propose that as this is posted on Rememberence Sunday, we stop for a second, and reflect that what we are doing with this great hobby of ours? Remembering service men and women of all eras and conflicts, because after all, if it wasnt for their sacrifice, we wouldnt be able to do what we do.

Like CW says, we are behind you Jack

Mark

Hear hear!

Agreed also - kudos is most definitely owed to Jack for the effort and hardwork entailed.

However - I would point out that, until Jacks last post no theme aimed at a defined era had been mentioned. "Tanks in a town" is a pretty generic title and hence the request to consider the PW vehicles. Given that this event is indeed themed towards Normandy then the WW2 criteria is perfectly reasonable.

It would be nice though to hope/expect the next HMVF organised event will cover those who either have no interest in, or cannot afford, WW2 armour!!!

Thank you very much to everyone. I couldn't sleep the other night, trying to figure out how to make sure everyone was happy. Mrs Beckeet even got up and made me a cup of tea. It is that important to me that everyone is happy. It would be vey very hard for me to do something like this if I didn't have everyones support.

Date wise we are looking at the 3rd weekend of June 2010 - the weekend after the Weymouth Veterans weekend. Book it now - you will want to be part of this. After having a chat whilst down at Bovy today - it just gets better and better. I don't know how those ideas came to me today :whistle:

Thank you very much to everyone. I couldn't sleep the other night, trying to figure out how to make sure everyone was happy. Mrs Beckeet even got up and made me a cup of tea. It is that important to me that everyone is happy. It would be vey very hard for me to do something like this if I didn't have everyones support.

I did here you was having a bad time Jack and was going to pop down with some biscuits but had an accident with them.

Sorry :-D

Picture006.jpg

I did here you was having a bad time Jack and was going to pop down with some biscuits but had an accident with them.

Sorry :-D

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

...actually, thinking about it - that ain't funny:argh: Ian, reckon you will have to post some so I can get of your back:coffee:

You should come to brixton Andy.

Tanks are not my thing but the MOPs will love it not quite sure what the objectives are is it to raise more funds for the vets.

The very best of luck Jack.We may give each other a hammering but you know you have our support.

Hi Cw ! I do have to visit Brixton occasionally in my job and I realise exactly where you are coming from mate ! I hope you are feeling better today ! :-D

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Hi Cw ! I do have to visit Brixton occasionally in my job and I realise exactly where you are coming from mate ! I hope you are feeling better today ! :-D

Its nearly gone i blame jack puting my blood pressure up with this tank thing.Pop in for tea 02086718100.:-D

Date wise we are looking at the 3rd weekend of June 2010 - the weekend after the Weymouth Veterans weekend. Book it now - you will want to be part of this. After having a chat whilst down at Bovy today - it just gets better and better. I don't know how those ideas came to me today :whistle:

That will probably crash with Santa Fe 2010 mate but who cares!

My suggestion for what it is worth is get in touch with Ian Hambridge - he and his very hard working group at Maiden Newton put on an excelent event this year and the location prety much fits the bill for the type of event that you seem to be outlining.

So there you go - Maiden Newton, Dorset. fantastic village, amazing history and a lot of war time fortifications still in place all allong the line of the railway. They even get the road closed for the weekend.

OK bear with me callers - had a good meeting today and OH MY GOD - this is looking rather more than good, we are looking at one hell of a weekend and one hell of an experience. And as freaky as this is it was indeed with Ian, Mrs HF!

- did I mention a world famous embarkation port and.... :whistle:

Many thanks Tony. We have a few things to nail yet - like committees etc etc but we will make it happen.

Question - does anyone know of anyone would like to put their DUKW into the sea? Or is that just being stupid - salt water and all......

This is not going to clash with Bolero 2010 ?????

Many thanks Tony. We have a few things to nail yet - like committees etc etc but we will make it happen.

Question - does anyone know of anyone would like to put their DUKW into the sea? Or is that just being stupid - salt water and all......

No, but I do know where there is an LST would that be a site to load up at your location.............

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: