Latest on little Maud

RSSRobot

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are home!!! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

A day not without it's moments of drama and comedy I have to admit but little Maud is finally back at Coalhouse Fort where she belongs!!

Day seemed to be getting off to a good start when we got to RR and were told "she's out of fuel".... They put two jerry cans worth in and climbed in to the engine pay to hand prime the system and we were ready for the off. First problem instantly manifested itself - she would not idle - period. Take the foot off the go pedal for longer than a couple of seconds and that was it. However we weren't going to let a little thing like that stop us so we carried on to Hothfield Services where, after filling, we were greeted as old friends - can't think why! :) Stuck 200 litres in the tank for safety as the fuel gauge still goes to max deflection when the isolator is turned on. The cutting out problem persisted all the way to Ashford when it suddenly stopped for the time being.

Halfway around Ashford something else presented itself which gave much cause for worry - every time we stopped the air pressure gauge dropped to zero with the compressor going full chat.... Brakes were working though... :) Coming out of Ashford this too cleared itself and we carried on. Took the A20 up to the M25 and then headed for the tunnel and into a traffic jam. Jason was in his element up on top waving at all the young ladies either passing us or who we passed depending on which side they were.... One truck driver offered to lend him an umbrella 'cos of the rain!!

Finally got to the tunnel and Ian overtook us to pay the tolls for both the Explorer and the Stalwart. Apparently the guy at the booth looked at the Stalwart and said "looks like a car to me" and only charged us £1.50 - what a nice man!!! :) Cleared the tunnel OK for the next issue to manifest itself - in the pouring rain the main winscreen wiper (air operated) gave up the ghost.... No idea why yet other than turning on the air makes it move a couple of sweeps and then it stops on the off-side. Trying to move the manual control handle with the air on is very hard implying it's air pressure thats holding it over, turn the air off and it works easily by hand - wft???

Still - that was the last of the issues with the vehicle and we got back to the Fort safe and sound. Both Jason and I were frozen and soaked by this time - Jason obviously more so!! Now just got to finish off the odds and ends and all is done.

We won't mention how many idiots decided to turn right in front of us, pull out in front of us or who carved us up on roundabouts - suffice it to say there are an incredible number of suicidal maniacs out there!!!

I would like to say a BIG thank you to Jason (AMVG) and Ian (Ian2b) for their invaluable help in getting little Maud back home today - especially as Ian had to step in at the last minute - literally couldn't have done it without you guys

Edited by ArtistsRifles

Very good news Neil . Good luck with sorting out the odds & ends . :thumbsup:

Not too much to do really Dave:

* Refit towing cables.

* Refit bridging plate to swimboard.

* Refit Alvis badge to swimboard.

* Refit Union Jack stickers.

* Replace front number plate.

* Refit UBRE earthing tag and bolt to inside rear exhaust stack.

* Work out how to connect loudspeaker to clansman intercom system.

* Work out whats wrong with air operated main wiper motor.

* Work out whats wrong with the combined fuel level/oil level gauge.

* Fit inner "Tee" handles to roof hatches.

* Repaint name to sides of cab.

* Repaint bridging class onto bridging plate.

* Replace rotted ropes in load bed cover.

* Locate and make-up rubberised retaining straps for pioneer kit etc.

* Refit towing cables.

Well done for getting her home Neil! That's still a short list compared with mine! :-D Can't wait to see her in the flesh next year!

Do you think some of the issues were from it not running long enough and on the road to work the junk out of the passages like the idle problem ? did the compressor finally stop running full out , or is that likely due to a air leak in the system ?

I know its a guessing at the moment . I do hope its now much closer to home and that you can work on it much easier .

* Refit towing cables.

So that's tomorrow morning taken care of then............spot of shopping in the afternoon ?

Towed or driven ???

I say sir- another low blow dammit!! :) The lady came home all the way under her own power!! :)

Do you think some of the issues were from it not running long enough and on the road to work the junk out of the passages like the idle problem ? did the compressor finally stop running full out , or is that likely due to a air leak in the system ?

I know its a guessing at the moment . I do hope its now much closer to home and that you can work on it much easier .

Had a reply on the Yahoo based Stolly group from Richard N - he reckons its down to icing in both the carb and HP air. I need to get some metch into the HP air system to act as antifreeze and to strip the wiper motor down and re-lube it. At least I know where to look now!! :)

Air comp finally stopped running flat out about a mile from the tunnel - could be due to the heat from the engine/exhaust geting a chance to circulate in the engine bay whilst we sat idling...

Great stuff Neil and is the Stolly the most complex vehicle the British army ever built and did Maud have these problems before the accident??

Probably not the most complicated but equally probably they are the most awkward to get at anything on.. Especially if the load bed is full.......... :)

Nope - these are all new since the accident Jack - but I guess I shouldn't be surprised given what happened... :)

JUst got back from a party ar RRs.didnt find out what it was for,but they were very happy.:rofl:

Best of luck NIEL.:-D

Heh - Dominic said he never wanted to see her again this morning so -with a perfectly straight face - I just said "but she's booked in in 2 months time for a full workshop service and Kerry promised me you'd be doing it".

His face was an absolute picture!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...