Latest on little Maud

RSSRobot

Rang Kerry at RR today to see what the latest status is on little Maud. Apparently the brakes are al now 100% but on the final test the head gasket blew..... They are now in the process of replacing this for me. Luckily it went for them and not on the second trip home!! They've also now got the intercom system working properly and the fuel gauge and brake lights....

Just waiting now for Kerry to let me know when we can go collect her again!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time they have finished with the stolly it will be like a totally different vehicle. I would have thought that after all the repair costs it would have been easier to have just bought another stolly and named her Maud2.

I thought it was a different vehicle when I saw the photos :confused: better give them a ring Neil make sure you're getting the right one back... :rofl:

Thought you said you and Ian wanted to be aboard for the first swim/dunking???? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Must remember to have a bid on this then

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RUSSIAN-AUTHENTIC-DIVING-HELMET-WORKING-ORDER-LOOK_W0QQitemZ110297563840QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110297563840&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A4%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 :sweat:

You'll need to get the compressor, air lines, suit, weight belt and boots then!! Just to be on the safe side!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Incidentally - if anyone knows where I can get a set of the MoD life jackets that form part of the Stalwart's CES I'd be obliged!!!!

You'll need to get the compressor, air lines, suit, weight belt and boots then!! Just to be on the safe side!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Incidentally - if anyone knows where I can get a set of the MoD life jackets that form part of the Stalwart's CES I'd be obliged!!!!

Gets some rubber rings :coffee:

• 2 weeks later...

OK - just heard from Kerry - little Maud is now ready for collection again, everything working bar the fuel gauge which is taking a lesson from the Daughter Mk 1 and only working when IT feels like it...

Only problem is the other 2/3rds of my recovery team are now working again (lucky devils!!) so I've got to find a way of getting her back home. Been quoted £330 to have her dropped off at Thurrock Services (just on the Esssex side of the Dartford Crossing but money is damned tight right now........

So - no idea how I'm going to play this one yet......

Cheers mate - this weekend and next the other half has booked us on a caravan rally up North the whole week (Sat to Sat). I'll be popping down to RR to pay the outstanding balance this week sometime then it's a case of sorting out dates. Ian has offered assistance during the week too so we should be able to fudge something up.

Right now I'm tempted to foot the £330 delivery estimate and just do the short run from Thurrock to the Fort after the brakes issue last time - but we'll see how it goes!!!! :)

Been quoted £330 to have her dropped off at Thurrock Services (just on the Esssex side of the Dartford Crossing but money is damned tight right now........

So - no idea how I'm going to play this one yet......

RR Services to Thurrock £330 for 48.5 miles (give or take) :shocked:. You already visited the petrol station last time you was down there go on drive it back.

Think they're taking the P... out of you Neil... they should be delivering it for free considering they sent you out last time on the road with a vehicle in a DANGEROUS condition... if I was you I would get an independent engineers report to make sure everything's ok.. Ring around & get a quote for one, it could be money well spent... at the very least get the brakes checked out by someone....

If I can't trust one of the very few firms who know how (and are prepared to) to work on a Stalwart - who can I trust??

Given the preceeding events I guess what happened on the first, abortive, trip home should have been in the realms of "potentially on the cards if not expected".

£330 for 48 miles each way sounds high - but it cost over £300 to move the OT-90 10 miles a couple of months ago.......

But the consensus of bring her home on her own wheels - to sort out any more bugs is what I'll go with. I stuck £100 in last time - Autoroute, given the Stalwarts fuel consumption of about 2.5 to the gallon, reckoned on £180 worth so a repeat visit on the next run home is indicated.. :) :)

• 3 weeks later...

Nope - same fault - same place - lightning really does strike the same place twice!! :-(

Manager of Hothfield Services on the A20 must be getting used to us by now - usual routine of pull in, stop, vanish in cloud of grey smoke!! :)

At least this time we weren't parked beside the pumps - had to stop short as an old guy was doing something under the dash of his little VW...

So I got straight on the phone to RR, they sent out the low loader and recovered the Stalwart and tried to fix it for a second run today. After we all insisted it was more than a seized caliper or three again they checked by cracking the bleed nipples and, lo and behold, the three seized wheels were all under pressure whilst the three non-seized ones weren't. They checked the master cylinder push-rod adjustments but to no avail so tomorrow they are swapping out the air-pack. If that doesn't do it then they'll swap out the master cylinders as well.

Maybe it will be third time lucky??? :???:???