Latest on little Maud

RSSRobot

Nope - same fault - same place - lightning really does strike the same place twice!! :-(

Neil,

Like I said when it happened last time.....Airpak.....not an unusual problem, there is a valve that siezes at the top of the unit. Would be surprised if it is not that.

Also on top of the Airpak is a breather pipe, like a swan neck, next to it is a bleeder, if brakes ever stick on in future, just slacken that and brakes will release.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Richard!! I did tell them last time to look at the air packs but they were insistent that it was the calipers and, to be honest, I didn't feel right in telling them them what to do as I'm not an expert in matters REME.

This time though I did put the foot down and insist that the pack be investigated and have sent them a copy of the page from the EMERs's that shows the schematics of the brake system.

There are plenty of stories of vehicles which were supposed to be 'fixed' by some of the the so called 'experts' out there... I think I'd be negotiating a discount on the work carried out already and then sorting it myself if I were you. I'd get them to deliver it back for free too.

Chris

To be honest peoples - I've no complaints about the quality of the work done thus far by the guys at RR Services. Considering what went in to them, whats coming out looks pretty damned good to me.

Consider also the forces involved in what put her there in the first place and I have to put hand to heart and say I can't blame them at all for the fact a component is not working as it should.

Remember folks - she didn't go in for mere routine servicing....

Maybe if I had been more insistent on the airpacks as Richard advised this trip would have been successful - but as I said, I've never been in or with REME or served in a Stalwart equipped unit so I'm a total newbie when it comes to defective systems on her and didn't feel it was the right thing to do to demand they look elsewhere.. RR felt it was only calipers so I went along with them as their knowledge is greater than mine (this is slowly changing :)) - as it turns out it wasn't and, as yet, we still don't know for certain what it is although the airpacks do seem the likely culprit. We'll know in a couple of days!! :)

So - whilst I am disappointed in not getting her back today and thus am having to miss the remembrance event at East Ham on Sunday- at least she is in the right place to be fixed quickly as they have tools, equipment and resources I don't including undercover working...

As for delivery - even if free it would not prove the vehicle out whereas the 40 mile run from Ashford to her storage location will prove that she is reliable as can be expected. Had they delivered her when finished I'd be the one looking to replace airpacks or - worse - get at the master cylinder under the cab floor and steering ram.

We WILL get her back successfully one day and she WILL be in tip-top order - of this I have no doubts. Until then - keep watching this space for further news and developments.. :):)

So what did they actually do to fix the brake problem last time:confused:...they couldn't of done anything if the problem is still there.. the money you spent Neil it should be like a completely different vehicle you're getting back.

Just rung Kerry at RR again - they've swapped over the air packs and the brakes are still sticking on. So now they are swapping over the brake mmaster cylinders.

Our very own Richard F. was down there Monday and apparently expressed suprise that the airpack swap hadn't fixed it! :)

Damn glad I never got her home on a low-loader to find all this out the hard way!! :rofl: :rofl:

Latest update - spoke to RR the day before yesterday and they replaced the airpacks but the problem persisted so now they have changed the brake master cylinder too. This seems top have cured the problem. KErry said Dominic drover her out to the Hothfield services on the A20 - scene of the last two ignoble failures - and back without any problems.

Spoke to Jason today and hopefully we will have a full complement available to collect her next Friday (28th) and this will be a nice, uneventful run home!!!!