Day trip to view the National War & Liberty museum and the Marshall museum?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just returned home, tired.

We had a great day although we think the visitors brought some bad weather with them. We had rain and when we arrived at the museum very wet snow fell.

(So we beat up the guys and forced them to do a good weather dance - that worked).

More later.

I got home 30 minutes after dropping off Enigma, did not got to see Hugo though, he was already asleep. :(

We did have a fantastic day, absolutly brilliant! The time I spent in the car today and the number of kilometers I drove, I just as easily could have been in Normandy now :D

I got home 30 minutes after dropping off Enigma, did not got to see Hugo though, he was already asleep. :(

We did have a fantastic day, absolutly brilliant! The time I spent in the car today and the number of kilometers I drove, I just as easily could have been in Normandy now :D

Uhm, just to avoid misunderstandings; Hugo is Joris's son...:-D

Just got in after basically 24 hours awake. Paise should be showered on Joris and Eigma, for 1 There encycopedic knowledge of Arnhem 2 thier wonerful apprecaation of Dutch cusine (Urp! Ops sorry :-D) And lastly but not least fantastic companty. The Overloon musuem is out of this world. thanks for a great day.

Got home at 22:40 - totally whacked and barely able to walk but had a fun and fantastic day out. I knwo you couldn't make it Jack & Tim but did miss a fantastic treat with the number and variety of vehicles on display - not to mention the sight of grown men trying to do a May dance around a BARC's tyre!!!

Like Tony I'd like to say a BIG thanks to Joris, Olaf and Daniel for providing the transport, the tour of Arnhem (my Dad would likely have loved to be able to revisit the place had he lived) and the trip to the museum - oh yes and the Dutch pastries we munched whilst waiting for the return flight!!

We are going to have to go again to see all that we missed this time - probably a couple of days visit in a summer time!!

Heres some pics as a taster:

I'm in Lust.........

BB_2208_1594.jpg

Look at what Jack missed out on.....

BB_2208_1710.jpg

Here we go gathering nuts - in February......

BB_2208_1738.jpg

(or BARC -ing mad!!)

just a short post to reierate everything that has already been said ,it really was a great day following the airborne route into Arnhem seeing the high ground occupied by the German forces and then crossing John Frost Bridge and then onto what must be one of if not the best military vehicle museums in Europe and all with an expert commentary from our hosts,truly a day to remember with good company and excellent cakes and to show our gratitude we even took some proper English weather to share.

Hello all,

finally got home mid morning. A BIG BIG thanks to Joris, Daniel,

Olaf for not only being our drivers (and they covered some miles that day) but also for being the fantastic tour guides they were on route and on returning to the airport and at the museum.

I must admit when i left on Friday at approx 14:30 i was doubtful that i would make the Rendezvous but on speaking to a few friend who lived on route finally decided to start the journey. With in a couple of miles it was clear roads all the way, except for around J7 where two boy racers had crashed in to each other bringing the traffic to a stand still during a blizzard.

Nice to meet members of the forum for the first time face to face, and the museum was itself an fantastic experience with vehicles set in groups of dioramas to emulate field workshop, telephone communications etc, as well as single exhibits. Though it has been mentioned was surprised the albeit very good representation of Post war / Russian pact vehicles.

Only 3(?) jeeps but a beautiful early Bantam loads of GMC`s but also a wide range of other trucks such as the Federal, Oskosh, the largest truck Mack, High speed tractor, Dragon wagon (this was not the largest truck there either)

The loads (boxes) on the vehicle`s also contained NOS parts :wow: and one or two with holes in (vandalized) supported this fact.

Quite a few photos have been posted so i shall wait a while to save doubling up.

Thanks to all once again and especially to Joris Daniel and Olaf.

hope to see you all again soon

Ashley

Wonderful to see the verity of photo's .

Hows the Museum doing financially ?

Do they have plans to expand the collection ?

The visible portion of the collection looks fantastic as if anyone of the vehicles could be started up and moved in a short while... is this true or are many of them not in complete order ie missing major components.

Wonderful to see the verity of photo's .

Hows the Museum doing financially ?

Do they have plans to expand the collection ?

The visible portion of the collection looks fantastic as if anyone of the vehicles could be started up and moved in a short while... is this true or are many of them not in complete order ie missing major components.

Hi,

according to Joris and Olaf all the vehicles (those seen here)are restored to running condition, but will probaly never move again though the engines are run occaisionly, there is evidence of oils etc on mats under the vehicles but unless you can get under the bonnets etc it is hard to tell.

But in saying that if they are never to leave the museum maybe the the conpmponements may keep others mobile ?

With reguards to expansion not to my knowledge ? though they have recently brought in the last remaining battlefield relics given them a cosmetic restoration.

Ashley

Edited by ashley

Then the other source of objects would be from donations or purchases from collectors of historic vehicles . Do they have sufficient space for these, I guess I m wondering if they are including other things still WWII but not currently in the collection , Soviet , Italian , South African ..........