Day trip to view the National War & Liberty museum and the Marshall museum?

Having read the Museum Report on the home page regarding the Dutch National War & Liberty museum and the Marshall museum in Overloon, and having read the reports on the summer DC3 flight over Normandy, it occurred to me that as a body of like minded individuals we probably have enough people who would be prepared to pay the necessary to charter a flight and make a day trip of visiting this facility?

If we could fill a 737 for example I am sure the costs could be quite reasonable, even if we could only manage a Fokker (I've always wanted to say that!) I'm sure it wouldn't be that exorbitant.

An HMVF Day Tripper

Obviously the next question would be where would we fly from. Obviously living in Newark the answer has to be East Midlands! Seriously though I think we could do this.

I'd be interested to hear who might be interested. We could explore the heritage aircraft options such as they now are (if at all), but I personally would rather get there quicker and enjoy the museum to the full.

Joris/Enigma - what are the nearest airports to Overloon and can we come to yours for tea?

Neil

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How far is it from Eindhoven to Overloon?
80 km, less than an hour´s drive.

Other option is the international Amsterdam airport (Schiphol), which is 160 km or close to two hour's drive.

If you make it over here, let me know and I'll try to join you lot.

He're some pics of what's there to see:

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=916&ppuser=24

imm001_2.jpg

This sounds a good idea to me - Had a quick nose at the on-line flight booking systems - only scheduled operator I can find thus far to Eindhoven is the dreaded Ryan Air and they only fly there from Stansted. Max online booking is 15 heads and that comes to £492.60 out (£32.84/head) and £587.85 back (£39.18/head) including all taxes etc. I stuck Nov 22 2008 in as an arbitrary date to get these prices.

As an option - with all the eco and security aggro attached to flying these days - would a coach maybe be better doing multi-pickups enroute to the ferry port??? Maybe an overnight stay and return next day??

When are we thinking of going???

If no one else fancies it - I don't mind calling around and getting a few quotes for transport over to the museum & back then making the bookings.

Will need to know how many want to go, when we want to go, how long we want to stay at the museum (will dictate departure and return timings).

If we fly then I guess it will have to be from Stansted unless I can find another operator flying to Eindhoven from the UK.

If we go by coach then we could possibly have pickups at - say - Birmingham, London etc.

Whats the collective thinking folks???

Neil this is a stunning idea and just what we in the hobby should be doing - would love to go, COUNT ME IN!!

1 - Deuceman

2 - ArtistsRifles

3 - Tony B

4 - Mr Beckett

5 - Mr Becket Jr - can the younger generation come Neil??

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Looked like a good idea until it was hijacked by the southern contingent who think the world ends at Milton Keynes:nono::-D

Crikey thats a long way up,Heston services.:rofl:

Looked like a good idea until it was hijacked by the southern contingent who think the world ends at Milton Keynes:nono::-D

I did say start at Birminhgam as an example - if you want closer to home for a coach collection let me know before I start talking to the companies. :) I've amended the list of those wishing to attend to add a desired pick-up location. Remember that the more widespread these are the more it's going to cost each.

Sadly if we want to fly then it's not the Southern Contingent hi-jacking it - that is literally the only place I can find right now that flies to Eindhoven on a scheduled basis.. Schiphol is, I think, too far away for a one day trip :-( A private charter will be probitively expensive I believe....

1 - Deuceman - coach pickup @

2 - ArtistsRifles - coach pickup @ London area

3 - Tony B - coach pickup @

4 - Mr Beckett - coach pickup @

5 - Mr Becket Jr - coach pickup @

I've checked the Eindhoven Airport website and there are direct flights to London City too (Cityjet) from GBP 86 pp.

Also, if the number of participants is only 8 I'll pick you up on the airport and drive us to Overloon in the Dodge.