Day trip to view the National War & Liberty museum and the Marshall museum?

Same here!! :)

So far then we have:

1 - Deuceman - coach pickup @

2 - ArtistsRifles - coach pickup @ London area

3 - Tony B - coach pickup @

4 - Mr Beckett - coach pickup @

5 - Mr Becket Jr - coach pickup @

6 - Nick Johns - coach pickup @ London area

I'll give it a week here then start asking questions of airlines and coach firms. Still need an idea from people as to a date when they would like to go! :)

Flying - it do look like it's going to have to be from the South if flying - sorry Degsy, cant change that one mate!!

If we go via Eurostar - we could all meet up at the London terminus (Kings Cross??) and catch the train from there????

Edited by ArtistsRifles

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been thinking, we could take the wife's with us and drop them in Eindhoven for shopping. Could be a good idea to fill the bus?

Overloon has a small war cemetery, we should lay a wreath there.

Close to Overloon is a Ysselstein where is the only German cemetery in the Netherlands, we should stop there and lat a wreath there too.

There was severe fighting in the vicinity of Overloon in October-November 1944, when the Germans were being cleared out of the region south and west of the Maas in preparation for the final attack on the Rhineland. Most of the burials in Overloon War Cemetery are of men who died during these months. The cemetery contains 280 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War, and one Dutch war grave.
http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=2006701&mode=1

The military cemetery can be found in Ysselsteyn, Netherlands, in the Province of Limburg close to the German border. The cemetery is the only German military cemetery in the whole Netherlands. 85 killed soldiers from the First World War and almost 32.000 from the Second World War are buried here on a territory of 28 hectares.

For each killed soldier one cross has been placed. The data (name, grave location, dates of birth and death, rank - if known) have been written on the crosses with white color. Rewriting the data belongs - among other things - to the work which is regularly done by the young people staying in our Center. There are approximately 5000 unknown soldiers buried on this cemetery. These are buried in graves with crosses on which it reads "Ein Deutscher Soldat".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ysselsteyn_German_war_cemetery

According to Joris it would only take approx 45mins more from Schipol and there are flights to there from every airport in Britain so I can see no problem in going from a more central point such as East Midlands as originally suggested by Neil.

According to Joris it would only take approx 45mins more from Schipol and there are flights to there from every airport in Britain so I can see no problem in going from a more central point such as East Midlands as originally suggested by Neil.

OK - I'll get a quote for East Midlands to Schipol as well - then we can compare the costs and make a group desision as to which we way we play this.

Still need a travel date though - what about either late Nov/early Dec this year or sometime in Feb/March next year as a starter for discussion??

Just done a spot-check on the flight cost form East Midlands to Amsterdam (I assume Schiphol) flying out on the 21 Feb 2009 and returning the same day for 15 adults (over 14) and the price is £81.38 per person.

Only problem is - they fly out on Sat morning and fly back on Sun evening!! No afternoon flight on the Saturday I'm afraid so we'd need accomodation too!

How does that sound to people - both price and date???

(I'm not sure when the FirePower show at Woolwich Arsenal is on next year - anyone got the dates so we don't clash??)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Neil great work!

For my money we are best trying to keep it to a day trip - it would save a lot of hassle, time wise for folks?!

Far to much for a day,as they say on the tele ,i am out.

I think maybe the overnight stay is to be an issue here as it will add accommodation to the cost

Problem seems to be though - both the flights and EuroStar don't return the same day.

The coach does -BUT- looking at National Express's time tables a coach from Birmingham to Amsterdam takes about 17 hours so we'd get off - then get straight back on to come home. Kind of defeats the object.....

So - what do people want to do???? :???

Joris- have done a search on all scheduledflights from central UK airports and thus far the story is the same - flights into/out of Schiphol are all Sat morning - nothing returns to the UK Sat evening

Haven't looked at private charters yet as we only have 7 heads going - this could be rather expensive!! :shocked: :shocked:

If a few more say they are going then I'll take a look at these as well.

I've checked the eurostar train times for december and by train it's a no-go.

06:59 - London St Pancras 10:03 - Brussels Midi £29.50

10:25 Brussels - 13:00 Eindhoven

Arrive at museum around 14:00h

Leave museum around 16:00h

17:30 Eindhoven - 19:35 Brussels

20:29 - Brussels Midi 21:33 - London St Pancras £29.50

Bloody hell how stupid of me to forget.

Dusseldorf (Weeze) is only a 50km / 34minutes away from Overloon and you can fly there from London Stansted in the morning and leave in the evening (I picked the date at random):

Regular Fare Adult 2,99 GBP (excl tax)

za, 20 dec 08

Flight FR 3252

7:25 Depart

9:35 Arrive

Regular FareAdult 2,99 GBP (excl tax)

za, 20 dec 08

Flight 3259

20:05 Depart

20:15 Arrive

Total price including tax will be 44,34 GBP

Just run that through the UK flight search engines and the cheapest I could come up with to Dusseldorf was Ryanair - the fare there is £10/head (Special Offer currently on) if we go on Nov 29th:

Flight out leaves Stansted @ 07:30

Returns @ 20:05

On Feb 7th timings are the same but it goes up to £39/head for the return trip

However - I just re-run the query against EasyJet and we can also do it via them now!

I used the 29th Nov this year and the 7th Feb 2009 as guide dates and for this year it would cost £66.37 for the return trip (roughly £33 each way)

For Feb 2009 the cost is currently the same. Good news is the flights leave the UK at either 07:30 or 06:30 (Feb 09) and don't leave Amsterdam until 21:00.

Not so good news (sorry Degsy) is that it would have to be from Stansted.

These were run on the 6 heads we have expressing interests now.

What do we all think folks???