Antar back to the road

antarmike

Are these machines you mfg. mounted to the rear of tractors with 3 point hitches ?.Since they are still green machines like other green things here so they would be allowed could you post a pic or two of the completed unit and what its specs are ?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike

I'm intrigued by the chain trencher as well. Looks like the conveyor belt is mounted very low for off loading. Does it deploy to a higher position in use?

Have you built the unit entirely from scratch or modified something else?

Glad to here the Antar is coming back together.

Heavier clutch could be that new and thicker plate is putting more tension on pressure plate springs! :idea:

Last shot shows early version with 3 metre conveyer to discharge into tip trailer. We are doing one with short conveyer, which drops arings just to the side of the trench, for easy blading back in after pipe has gone in.

These are intended primarily for sports turf drainage, and the norm is the long conveyer to completely take soil away from trench, into trailer, for dumping, then trech will have porous pipe, topped with lightweight aggregate back fill. Hopefully trench one day, and play the next.

Designed and built from scratch. I buy in the hydraulic cylinders which get modified, spool valve, hydraulic motor for conveyer, and an italian gearbox, the bearings, chain, cutters and sprocket, but everything else really I fabricate.

Edited by antarmike

Last shot shows early version with 3 metre conveyer to discharge into tip trailer. We are doing one with short conveyer, which drops arings just to the side of the trench, for easy blading back in after pipe has gone in.

These are intended primarily for sports turf drainage, and the norm is the long conveyer to completely take soil away from trench, into trailer, for dumping, then trech will have porous pipe, topped with lightweight aggregate back fill. Hopefully trench one day, and play the next.

Designed and built from scratch. I buy in the hydraulic cylinders which get modified, spool valve, hydraulic motor for conveyer, and an italian gearbox, the bearings, chain, cutters and sprocket, but everything else really I fabricate.

Nice one Mike , Glad its all coming together for you and impressed with your fabrications ! :-D

End of a saga.... Drove the Antar out of the shed, and around the yard, and parked it up in its proper place in the shed.

All seems okay, but I have yet to put inspection panels back on the bell housing, and put the floor and transmission tunnel back in the cab.

And sort out the bent back mudguard and support braket, broken light etc, that happened in the jack knife, trying to get into the layby when the clutch finally went. 2nd Sept 2008!

Its taken just over six months, most of that saving up, and waiting for Marton Dump trucks to do the work to my satisfaction, but as I say I hope I am only a couple of days away from being ready for the new season.

Thanks everybody for your support, encouragement and suggestions.

Good Job Mike! A friend of mine was looking to buy exactly what you build for drainage work, I shall show him what you are doing, I'm sure he will be very interested.

Look forward to seeing the Antar in the flesh this summer,

Duncan

I have followed your plight with great interest and after watching your Antar in the arena at Dorset last year really felt great sadness at your predicament. I run big trucks myself and know only too well the frustration when they break down. Glad it is all over, will look you up at Dorset,(my mate Andy has the Douglas Tug in the arena) and buy you a Beer, regards,GOLDFINGER.

I am off to put on a couple of exhaust clamps I forgot at thge W/E, and then the floor is going back in the cab. As I say, during recovery,, trying to back up in the layby, I jacknifed the trailer drawbay into a stay on the mudguard, but when the police have the A34 stopped and are pressuring you to complete the manoevre as quick as possible, these things happen. It was an attempt to get enough room in the layby, that the towtruck could, get into the layby ahead of me to couple up. In hindsight, we should have coupled up in the carraigeway, but its not that hard to straighten, the bend stay.

Cheers, I don't recognise it, but being dated 1958 it will be for the Mk1 Mk2 Antar, which had a totally different clutch arrangement, The clutch being in an air cooled enclosure, bolted to the nain gearbox/ Aux gearbox assembly. The clutch was shaft driven from the back of the Meteorite engine flywheel. Although it uses the same plates, and interediate plate as my clutch, the arrangement is totally different, and this isn't a tool that is any use for my model of Antar, but thanks for pointing it out to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had it up both the grass banks of a country lane at the same time....I can't say how fast I am actually going because of recent Police prosecution from internet video clip, and the fact that under STGO i am only allowed 20, but on a similar road on a private airfield near me I would probably be doing 30 MPH.

Edited by antarmike

Never fear I wouldn't report you , as long as you were operating under control which you seemed to be its all good .

Under the STGO rules I m guessing you would have to had traveled the roads you are going to travel with a regular vehicle to check for any problems before making the trip with the Antar .

Seems the lanes and country roads over there do tend to run very narrow , that driving a WC on some back roads/tracks/paths is even a challenge and that a Jeep may take up the entire width .

Nice to see all your hard work and problems are gone for now .