Antar back to the road

antarmike

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

When you say "flywheel wear plate" is that a seperate part ? The reason I ask is that I was looking for something in the shed the other day (where the 18" clutch plates used to be stored) and found a steel disk all wrapped up in the usual sticky wrapper which looks like a face plate out of a flywheel. If it is let me have the dimensions and I will check it.

John.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Even worse news, the Estimate for the machining and parts for the clutch now stands at £2242.50 +Vat.

Erm....is it time to buy a jeep instead?

At those prices you could be a boat owner Mike,renamed mine scrapheap challenge.

There must be another way:shocked:CW

Even worse news, the Estimate for the machining and parts for the clutch now stands at £2242.50 +Vat.

And what would the cost be for having this machining done for cash ? We are now coming up to the quietist time in what will be a very, very quiet year for machine shops. I really can't believe that there isn't a competent engineering company where all, or some of, these components could be made, via the back door, for cash and at a fraction of the +vat figure you have been quoted.

£500 will buy an awful lot of machining if the 500 quid is going straight into some bloke's trouser pocket.

There's a highly skilled machine shop just up road from me that, from my past experience, would probably only charge £2242.50 in cash to recreate an entire Antar. There must be similar places near you. I hope this post sounds helpful and supportive.

The cost is in having patterns made for a casting of a new flywheel amongst other things, then fully machining. It is a complete re-manufacture of a lot of parts. The Intermediate plate isn't that ridiculous at 250 quid...

Yeah, oh well, I'm sure you know what you're doing but it does sound very expensive. Maybe Zsa Zsa Gabor will be doing some of the work hence the cost. I suppose it's only £30 a week spread over two years. Or, if all 2,398 forum members chipped in £1.25 each in return for having a go of the Antar when it's fixed, that would raise the £3,000 but at the end of 2,398 nutters driving around in your Antar it you'd probably be back needing another new clutch.

Edited by 6 X 6

• 1 month later...

Got the phone call today that my clutch is ready for collection. However they have not been able to reclaim the operating Arms and thrust pads/ through bolts. I am going to have to do that myself. (this is why I talked my boss into buying a brand new 2 Axis DRO turret mill! At Last I get some use from it myself) Sneaky or what....?

Got the phone call today that my clutch is ready for collection. However they have not been able to reclaim the operating Arms and thrust pads/ through bolts. I am going to have to do that myself. (this is why I talked my boss into buying a brand new 2 Axis DRO turret mill! At Last I get some use from it myself) Sneaky or what....?

With kit like that available you could have had a go at making some of the other parts as well. :-)

Glad to here it should all be coming together. Bit of a hit out of next years fuel budget though.

With kit like that available you could have had a go at making some of the other parts as well. :-)

Glad to here it should all be coming together. Bit of a hit out of next years fuel budget though.

Its been pattern making, castings, New springs, metal spraying, internal and external grinding, A lathe with a 20 1/2" swing...(which I haven't got. New release bearing steady post, I'll copy the spec and put it up on here but I ain't showing the cost, that's secret or you will all call me mad.

At least you'll know everything has been sorted. Unfortunately there's no real alternative is there? Really hope you have a great season with it when you get it all back together- if you can still afford to go anywhere....!:cry:

They're a good bunch at Marton Dump Trucks, especially for people who still run ancient dumpers.....

No they are not, I have today driven a 300 mile round trip to pick up the clutch. The intermediate plate they have made doesn't fit in the slotted locating ring. not by a thou or two but by 5 to 6 fooking millimetres. I have had to leave it with them to sort out. I am far from happy with them at the moment.

They are doing that. I took the parts to them to explain exactly what the problems were and what I wanted doing. I ttok down a number of loose parts. I went to collect the clutch to ensure everything I left was still there. They have said they will sent the intermediate plate and the slotted locating ring by carrier at no cost to me, but that isn't the point. I don't feel they have done very well.

• 2 weeks later...
They're a good bunch at Marton Dump Trucks, especially for people who still run ancient dumpers.....

Complete and utter Bankers, that lot, Nowt but a load of Bankers, By which I mean they are very happy to take my cash, but offer an appalling service.

The intermediate plate arrived back today after they finished the machining they forgot last time. The three lugs they were machining to my old pattern, which measures 69.60 mm have been made to 67.83, 68.88 and 68.13.

Utterley useless, so I have lost another days pay waiting on the delivery, and I am now wasting the rest of the day waiting for the plate to be picked up to take it back to the for their input as to how to salvage this mess.

Complete and Utter BANKERS....