Antar back to the road

antarmike

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a use for it afterwards so I thought it might be worth a try. really it is a bit too long. It has to be in the right place, too far forward and it will foul the Drag link and front Axle. Too far back and it will hit the Aux box before the input shaft is clear of the clutch release bearing support tube. I think there is aposition in the middle where it will work.

Now the gear selectors (which both sit on the Main Gearbox) and the selector shaft that runs between the boxes have to come off.

A further setback has been found. The Clutch operating arm, that fits onto the Cross shaft through the bell housing has significant wear on the slines. Whether this is the splines on the shaft or the internal spline on the lever I don't know but some sort of fix will be required.

It is now clear that the Clutch Air cylinder and the reaction valve that controls it need to be removed before the gearbox can move backwards.

antarblog026.jpg

antarblog028.jpg

The clutch operating arm lies just above the front spring shackle bolt. to the right of this is the air assisted clutch reaction valve.reaction

Today I had an hour or two spare.

antarblog029.jpg

Started to build up a frame to stop the gearbox toppling over on the pallet truck. The upright box sections are about 10mm from the gearbox and screws wind in to grip the box top and bottom. This should allow me to re-alighn the Adaptor plate with the studs as the gearbox goes back on. In a loosen one, tighten the opposite side kind of way.

The front of the box sits on a screw thread, that opperates between the two front 50x50 box sections that span the pallet truck. This will allow me back and forth rocking to help with lining up again.

I still have some more work to do on this arrangement

antarblog030.jpg

antarblog032.jpg

The floor and bulkhead cover are out to get to the Bell housing/ adaptor bolts...

antarblog035.jpg

I am a little concerned that the Selector shaft, coming out of the gearox selector cover is going to foul the Cross member when the gearbox rolls back a foot.

antarblog037.jpg

I had planned to drop the box to the floor before removing the clutch. It now seems I will have to come out with the gearbox at the roll-back height.

Note in the last shot just to the right and above the end of the Aux box selector shaft, a cross member/ floor support has been crudely gas-axed out. This I presume was done by Thorneycrofts themselves, when they went out to RAF Mildenhall to change the First gear, gearwheel, that had lost a trooth. If it was them who did it it was a warranty job, and it doesn't say much for the RAF sighning off the job that they accepted the Antar back into service with a floor support gas axed out and not replaced!!!

Edited by antarmike

antarblog046.jpg

The intermediate plate has split radially anf sprung open, and this had jammed in the Clutch cover. The sharp edge of the split has ripped the lining off the driven plate, on the pressure plate side of the intermediate plate.

antarblog047.jpg

the split is about 1/16" wide at the centre and 1/8" at the periphery of the plate. I am now in desperate need of one of these.

Edited by antarmike

Is there any other truck that uses the same intermediate plate or is it a visit to a machine shop to get one made?

Doesn't look to complex to make so shouldn't cost the earth if you find the right man.

Is the pressure plate O.K.?

Take it you're dealing with nasty old asbestos dust from that failure given the age of the vehicle. :shake:

At least it shouldn't be asbestos on the new linings.

I am still trying to find a plate, there are a few possibilities. I am talking to a comany that rebuilts Aveliong Barfords dump trucks, that use a twin 18 inch clutch, but haven't ruled out all hope of finding a good second hand one ex Antar.

Old driven plates were asbestos. I have the option of relining these, but I have two ols "new" asbestos lined driven plates that I might use. The Asbestos linings are likely to outperform, and outlast thw asbestos free alternatives.

The Antar uses a Meteorite engine ? would the driven plate be the same as the Meteor. My one has an intermediate dive plate but cant get at it to measure.

I am sure the clutch discs are about 18 inches if my memory serves me right.....

I think.