Antar back to the road

antarmike

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

I think you need to write a feature on all this when it is done and the old girl is running as close to as you would like as you can get. If you can stomach going over it all again I'd welcome the chance to read it all in a Adrian Mole diary style. I hope your mohawk hasn't fallen out. You deserve a bloody medal.

MB

I'm sorry to read that you have had these undeserved set backs. In my experience the most prevalent human quality I encounter is incompetence. It seems to be everywhere and I have an endless fund of similar stories to yours. When asking for something to be made I always provide good quality drawings, or a pattern, and talk through the job until I'm sure, I hope, that what's required is completely understood and they STILL cock it up. It's unbelievable.

Not in every case, but fairly often, the problem stems from the job being passed on from the person one originally discussed it with to the person who actually does the work. A sort of 'Chinese Whispers' takes over but how can that be case when there are drawings, or a full scale pattern, to follow ?

Mike, you will prevail but no one needs all this aggravation.

They're a good bunch at Marton Dump Trucks, especially for people who still run ancient dumpers.....

That is most unfortunate Mike. I've never had any machining done by them, but they have been good for spares and in-house reconditioned items (for machines they have had long experience with admittedly).

In the light of your experiences I am happy to have the word "especially" removed from my statement above, but I certainly would not expect you to agree with it, given your problems.

Hope you at least end up with a servicable clutch assembly out of it all, even though nothing will undo the hassle element. How did you come to be dealing with them - was the clutch assembly similar to a dumptruck unit?

Edited by N.O.S.

I had trouble with the engineering company who made the mould for my metalastic coupling. Took them nearly a year to get roung to doing it and then it had to go back because the rubber company said there was no way to remove the coupling after moulding it! Then atfer all that the bloody things are a 16th of an inch smaller cos they failed to alow for the rubber contracting when they cool down. And this engineering company make moulds for the rubber company all the time. They even had the coupling to measure from. Then they charged me £400 od!:argh: And I still have to machine the couplings to fit. It would have been cheaper to buy an old milling machine and do it myself

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Your not alone,speedy cables took two years to make me matching oil pressure gauges to match the originals,then said they couldnt match the senders 24v.then said they had when i refused them.They still dont work:argh:Speedy :rofl::rofl::rofl:

That is most unfortunate Mike. I've never had any machining done by them, but they have been good for spares and in-house reconditioned items (for machines they have had long experience with admittedly).

In the light of your experiences I am happy to have the word "especially" removed from my statement above, but I certainly would not expect you to agree with it, given your problems.

Hope you at least end up with a servicable clutch assembly out of it all, even though nothing will undo the hassle element. How did you come to be dealing with them - was the clutch assembly similar to a dumptruck unit?

Recommended by Dave "Rotinoff" Weedon. A lot of Aveling Barfords use the same 18" twin Plate Borg and Beck, And they said thae had remanufactured Intermediaste plates for these on several occasions.

Hi Mike, as a now retired, rank amateur in the field of mechanical engineering and restoration, I am compelled to congratulate you, not only on your obvious knowlege and improvisation, but mostly, on your undaunted application.

It must be said, I would probably have given up and sought a buyer at an early stage.

Well done you.

this is what I have got

clutch017.jpg

they have taken a much smaller clutch brake, off a gearbox with less inertia, and welded the spokes of a bored out bigger brake, to the outside diameter of the small brake.

I have to use a puller, but I am not sure I want to pull from the outside, cos of the stress on the welds. (and the legs of the puller need to be 16 inches long) . I either leave the oilseal, or I make long legs for the puller, that are narrow enough to get into the slots between the two halves to pull from the OD of the small brake wheel.

Edited by antarmike

.... I either leave the oilseal, or I make long legs for the puller, that are narrow enough to get into the slots between the two halves to pull from the OD of the small brake wheel.

I guess: claw-special, legs-long, puller-one in number, for the use of..., coming up then? Looking forward to seeing a photo of it - and the rest of the shiny clutch stuff, when you get them to sort it out. Keep up the good work, you have moral, if not tangible, support!

• 2 weeks later...