Recovery and Towing

Tony B

You only had to ask :D No rope going to anything on the other side for a controlled lowering though....?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37762[/ATTACH]

If you look closely the pole is not fastened to the chassis but is hard up against a beam that has been placed between the wheels. This helps prevent the casualty from being dragged towards the recovery and minimises damage to the underside of the bus. The top deck of the bus has also been rigged with struts to prevent deformation.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look closely the pole is not fastened to the chassis but is hard up against a beam that has been placed between the wheels. This helps prevent the casualty from being dragged towards the recovery and minimises damage to the underside of the bus. The top deck of the bus has also been rigged with struts to prevent deformation.
Have looke through that book 100s of times never noticed that beam before. Brilliant idea learn something every day Edited by Marmite!!
quote tags added

• 2 weeks later...

Hi looks like Vulcan gear on back of there good gear. Often wonder why milatry dont try twin winch to rear equipment certainly more versatile and options than straight lifting or winching. Any body else used their winches Reason i ask is has anyone noticed how easy it is to move a vehicle sideways on ice

Just found these pictures thought i would put them on to show how effective scotch blocks are if you are on good ground or tarmac I tried to find these pics many posts ago when i was trying to explain how to max out on holding power try it out on a pioneer it will make a big differance if you put scotch blocks on rear axle as i described

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38523[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38524[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38525[/ATTACH]

Edited by cosrec

Brilliant vidieo that one. I actually feel sorry for the guy apart from the obvious mistake of not setting the brakes it was a perfect recovery. Maybe it was a case of familiarty but it shows take nothing for granted in recovery double check every thing it will pay off in the end and never no matter how much you are being pressurised rush the job. A subtle piont about the vidieo it shows perfectly what i tried to explain about the difference in the way ridgids and artics behave when been winched over. Note how the slack in the fifth wheel causes the unit to lag behind when being stood up then suddenly flops over and is the first to hit the floor.

The pictures of the landrover show it had had a battering i heard it got stuck on a beach and washed out to sea and was washed up back on the beach a week later in the state shown??.

Dont know how true this is. Interestingly the kit that is recovering the landrover is mounted on a newer chassis but is the 70 year old holmes 45 as mounted on DT969 says something for the design concept when it can still make a livinging to day?

Heres a picture of an ex swedish army SBAT scania thats been modifiyed and currently earning a living doing recovery in a civillian role. But it owes a lot of its success to the British army any body want to take a guess why

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38603[/ATTACH]

The pictures of the landrover show it had had a battering i heard it got stuck on a beach and washed out to sea and was washed up back on the beach a week later in the state shown??.

Dont know how true this is. Interestingly the kit that is recovering the landrover is mounted on a newer chassis but is the 70 year old holmes 45 as mounted on DT969 says something for the design concept when it can still make a livinging to day?

The Land Rover was my fathers brand spanking new one, I guess mid 60's. Located around Wedge Island in West Australia. In the tropics the tide changes very fast and he was at a point with no hope of getting above the tide.

I think the recovery was the next day as the insurance company wanted what was left, I guess as it was new.

The reason I bought a Landie is my old man had a string of them and were all cursed so it was a standing joke in the family. When I imported the Lightweight into Aussie and drove it from Brisbane to Kalgoorlie he had the prayer beads out but couldn't stop laughing at the same time.

But it owes a lot of its success to the British army any body want to take a guess why

hi,

I would say that it owes its success to British Army, as EKA developed the first generation of underlifts for them on the Scammell Crusader chassis in 1975, after trialing one on a Volvo 4-wheel chassis.

Spot on Richard. The euipment was a swedish design that was built here under licence for the British Army for use on the Crusader. Strangely even though it was a superb piece of equipment it was never adopted for use in the Swedish army. The kit is more than a match for any chassis it is mounted on. The kit on the Scania above actually served its time on a Scammell Crusader in the British Army before being cast. I bought it and mounted it on a Volvo F10 chassis and it did many hundreds of Heavy winching and towing jobs going down as far as the South of France. After 8 years i put it up for sale and it was bought by a guy from Sweden who drove it over to near Stockholm and remounted on The Ex military SBAT scania he sends me pictures of jobs it has done and reports it works as well now as it did when built back in the 70s Sorry i dont have reg no of vehicle

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38621[/ATTACH]

Spot on Richard. The euipment was a swedish design that was built here under licence for the British Army for use on the Crusader.

Thanks Cosrec,

The REME workshops, where I worked, had one issued to us on their introduction into service, replacing an AEC Medium, (not known as Militants in service). We were to have it for about 20 years, I was involved in winch and crane repairs and testing amongst other work, so got to do a fair bit to it in its time, although to be fair, the only major issues in the EKA side of it, that I recollect, was renewing a telescopic ram for lifting the boom and the bogie blocking power unit. Also heavily into Foden EKA as we had quite number in our dependant units, the electro hydraulics system started to give problems as life wore on with them, and were occasionally challenging !

Quick picture showing road conditions aroun here from 10 days ago this is the M180 MW.

Put picture on to show a good way to hang on to a tandem wheeled axle if you want to move a vehicle sideways. I hinted on previous post it takes very little to move a vehicle sideways on ice or packed snow we use a 13mm chain with shortening claw on one end passed through a hole on wheel rim and back out of another. It can also be used on front axles of very old vehicles and new trucks with disc brakes. Beats laying on your back to find something to hang to

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38801[/ATTACH]

Cos rec , are you from scunny then or near it

No as crow flys we are 10 miles north on North bank Blacktoft 40 odd miles by road But have opened a satalite base at Sandtoft near Trolley bus musem we seemed to spend a lot of time round your way just lately Tescos home delivery vans have nearly kept a truck going full time during the bad bad weather geting stuck on ice and hills in housing estates etc

No as crow flys we are 10 miles north on North bank Blacktoft 40 odd miles by road But have opened a satalite base at Sandtoft near Trolley bus musem we seemed to spend a lot of time round your way just lately Tescos home delivery vans have nearly kept a truck going full time during the bad bad weather geting stuck on ice and hills in housing estates etc

I sometimes get to sandtoft roof tiles now and again , i work for cemex tanker delivery's , bet your flat out at the minute . I was going to apply for the job of rec driver at gallows wood as i fancied a change in direction ( ie a good challenge) ,but the money wasnt to good, and i have a young family and goverment to support lol, wouldnt mind popping in one day for a brew, the only rec work i did was with a 600.25 fassi picking up stranded M.A.N units that coudnt be driven and putting them on my lowloader , did a bit in the army but when the moneys right wouldnt mind having anoher go at it

• 4 weeks later...

a bit of winch help although I dont think the operation was run quite right as it would seem the angle the winch is pulling from could force the front of the Iltis into the bank not up it , am I right in thinking they should have used a log or other device to elevate the winch line until the Iltis was above the bank ?

Something went wrong...

a bit of winch help although I dont think the operation was run quite right as it would seem the angle the winch is pulling from could force the front of the Iltis into the bank not up it , am I right in thinking they should have used a log or other device to elevate the winch line until the Iltis was above the bank ?

Something went wrong...

Placing a log under the winch rope on the brow of the bank would help in keeping the rope up increasing the angle of pull and more importantly preventing the rope from cutting into the bank were it could possibly become damaged dragging over sharp stones and rocks.