Pitching your tent.A security question

Lord Burley

One for the masses here.I was thinking on rolling up on Friday the 11th.Pitching my 9x9 and 12x15,and the returning on the Monday to set up base camp Burley proper.Do you think this would be wise??.Or will i turn up on the Monday find two squares where my tents were,and a few pegs left in the ground??.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One for the masses here.I was thinking on rolling up on Friday the 11th.Pitching my 9x9 and 12x15,and the returning on the Monday to set up base camp Burley proper.Do you think this would be wise??.Or will i turn up on the Monday find two squares where my tents were,and a few pegs left in the ground??.

3 tents went missing last year when they were set up & left :argh:

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
In the living history field.I was doing it to cut down on time on setting up on monday.

WHat idiot would nick the tent and leave the pegs?

Thats getting pretty low to steal things at shows.... Perhaps its neccessary to think about embeding clips in things like they do for pets or somehow permanently marking items with names or numbers to increase the chance of recovering them at ome future time ???

I find it so hard to believe that folk with a common interest would steal from each other (not that I find it acceptable to steal...fulll stop!!!).

I suppose that is assuming it was another MV enthusiast...and if the tents were stolen that was before Joe public had access?

Getting the nets out of the back of the Stolly? Someone must have seen....they must have had a ladder!!!

Plenty of stuff gets stolen at Beltring, and it is quite sad that you can't leave your stuff unattended. I've had the light lenses stolen from a vehicle, during the night, in the past... despite the fact that you could go and buy them quite easily in the stalls. I've even heard of wheel nuts going missing!

Chris

There is a hardcore of people who go there to steal stuff. Local oiks, gentlemen of the road, people involved in the hobby, all types. Last year I often left my laptop and cameras in my tent while I was out and about. But I think I was reckless. I am not taking an MV this year, so I'll have less of a problem. Did they ever find the chap(s) who nicked the muzzle break off Rex's Panther?

In the army we used to put thieves hands in door jams. I saw it done to one bloke. He thoroughly deserved it.

MB

There is a hardcore of people who go there to steal stuff. Local oiks, gentlemen of the road, people involved in the hobby, all types. Last year I often left my laptop and cameras in my tent while I was out and about. But I think I was reckless. I am not taking an MV this year, so I'll have less of a problem. Did they ever find the chap(s) who nicked the muzzle break off Rex's Panther?

In the army we used to put thieves hands in door jams. I saw it done to one bloke. He thoroughly deserved it.

MB

I quite like that sort of justice. Not long ago a thief in N Wales with a string of burglaries to his name and who the police were unable or unwilling to do anything about had a number done on his knees by a couple of local guys. He won't be doing any more thieving but plod took a dim view and they are doing several years at Her Majestys Pleasure.

I quite like that sort of justice. Not long ago a thief in N Wales with a string of burglaries to his name and who the police were unable or unwilling to do anything about had a number done on his knees by a couple of local guys. He won't be doing any more thieving but plod took a dim view and they are doing several years at Her Majestys Pleasure.

I'm more in favour of shame and embarrasment as sumary punishment.

They should set up a set of stocks at W&P, imagine the shame as you're seen by thousands of members of the public during the day, imagine the s**t (literally) thrown by thousands of beery MV owners during the night.:rofl:

I'm more in favour of shame and embarrasment as sumary punishment.

They should set up a set of stocks at W&P, imagine the shame as you're seen by thousands of members of the public during the day, imagine the s**t (literally) thrown by thousands of beery MV owners during the night.:rofl:

Plus the eternal fame on the internet...

Hi all

just a quick question about pegging out a spot early....which i know some people don't like

normally we rope off a small area 2 weeks before...but I have heard there is a music festival on the weekend of the 5th and 6th so no access allowed...has anyone else heard this.

Also there are apparently a row of chalets in America's field now...so that part of the America's field is out of bounds.

oh...and there is some sort of circus marquee in the middle of where the stalls are

so really just want to know if we are wasting our time making a trip down on the 5th or 6th

cheers

Chris

Hi all

just a quick question about pegging out a spot early....which i know some people don't like

normally we rope off a small area 2 weeks before...but I have heard there is a music festival on the weekend of the 5th and 6th so no access allowed...has anyone else heard this.

Also there are apparently a row of chalets in America's field now...so that part of the America's field is out of bounds.

oh...and there is some sort of circus marquee in the middle of where the stalls are

so really just want to know if we are wasting our time making a trip down on the 5th or 6th

cheers

Chris

i have heard this as well chris

jason

Hi all

cheers

Chris

Chris,

but I have heard there is a music festival on the weekend of the 5th and 6th so no access allowed...has anyone else heard this.

http://www.hopfarmfestival.com/

I was with Rex last week, the hop farm will be totaly out of bounds, the earliest you will get on to peg out is the 8th due to the concert & tie to clean up the site... even Rex is having to have his kit dropped off in a different area tis year. Don't take to much notice of other rumours :coffee:

Cheers Lee

Yep it's the Mighty Boosh Festival and usually during an outdoor festival there is lot's of rubbish dropped and it's likely there will be lot's of rubbish dropped so it will be quite a clean up. I know a friend thats going so i'll ask her what it's like down there when she gets back.

The music festival has 40,000 people going so I imagine there will be a lot of rubbish going, I should be able to hear it from my house with any luck (not).

This weekend there is grass track racing going on for the first time, dont know what field they will be using for that ?