What is going on here then?

Something to do with coal gas?

Now that's an idea. I had not considered that. For what purpose would a mobile hospital need coal gas?

I was still of the mind of sterilising equipment. Boiler to the left (you can just make out the pressure gauge), water tank to the right. In front of both and laying horizontally would be the steriliser. I am still not 100% sure though. Any more ideas. Oh yes, all your captions were very funny. Any more?

Tim (too)

Could also be a steam genarator for fumigation , gas de -contamination. Is there a definite link to the medical side? I notice a damn great padlock, odd thing to see on medical kit, you'd think it should be ready for instant use.

I think that is an early woodgas vehicle? Althought I can't see the rear axle construction too well (notice the mechanisms under the bed). Anything to do with Thomas Parker ( http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/genealogy/Parker/ThomasHughParker.htm )?

If this is an early woodgas vehicle what you see is not steam. You see there's kind of a message in this photo, the horse is given some rest and the woodgas vehicle is starting to make some gas. The new era of automobile has just started!

Btw, this would work well in War if Chlorin Gas was in the air. The horse would die, but as humans could be protected - the emergency services could still be working.

Was that far fetched? :D

Cedric

Edited by Sisu

Respirators were made for horses too !

Wasn't there a report from an old Royal Horse Artilleryman who said that the new motorised gun tractors were OK but that "At least a horse doesn't explode when it's shot from under you !"

• 3 months later...
Could also be a steam genarator for fumigation , gas de -contamination. Is there a definite link to the medical side? I notice a damn great padlock, odd thing to see on medical kit, you'd think it should be ready for instant use.

Have you served?

Rule 1. If it isn 't padlocked down, it's nicked. And doesn't only apply to medical kit.