Landrover Gallery.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day All, Would anyone like to see what I did with these 2 Land Rovers??, I acquired both these Land Rovers in 2004 they had been in storage at a mates place until I was ready to start stripping down etc, the rebuild took place during late 2007 early 2008,

this was a ex-mil S2A 109 GS

RIPDungog014.jpg?t=1286010756

reduced further down than this,

justachassis001.jpg?t=1286010807

this is a civilian Series 3 109

Dungog11.jpg?t=1286010957

it was used as the mechanical donor and was reduced to this

Theend.jpg?t=1286011010

This was restoration No7, it took about 1 year to build, it is a copy of a unique Australian military Land Rover, it has everything except weapons, would anyone like to see it?? cheers Dennis

ps I had secretly harboured a desire for one of these since 2001 or thereabouts,,.

Edited by DJM110

it does look good hooked up with it's matching No5 Platform trailer don't you think,

Dennis, amazing restorations, thanks for sharing!

Moderator: I think Dennis' restaurations deserve a thread for their own, don't you?

Hanno

G'day All, OK, I get the message :D, here we go.

The chassis of the S2A 109 was in reasonably good condition except for the cross member under the clutch bellhousing, it needed replacing, this is the replacement

donorbitz002.jpg?t=1286083930

and later on that same day it was in position and ready to be fully welded

cleaningunderway24607.jpg?t=1286084003

The chassis was then pressure washed/needle scale gunned in a few areas treated with some red oxide then etch primed & painted Flat Black (Protec Cam Flat Black)

Comingalong005.jpg?t=1286084171

The chassis was refitted with all the items needed for a rolling chassis (you know, all seals/gaskets/brake pipes/brake fittings all replaced with new items as I have done on all jobs so far except for Gunbuggy)

This particular type of vehicle was fitted out with loads of extra gear so it needed to be beefed up in some areas in particular the suspension, it was modified to have 4 shock absorbers on the rear axle, the top mounts had to be let into the chassis

Extrashockmounts002.jpg?t=1286084778

fabricating the bottom mounts

Fabrications001.jpg?t=1286084582

weld them together and then weld them to the differential housing

Mounted-1.jpg?t=1286084947

basically it was now back to being a rolling chassis.

Again the tin worm had done its duty on the bulkhead as is often the case anywhere where rainfall n humidity :-( are ever present. So the hunt was on for another, a chance conversation with a friend and I was soon off to Cobar in Outback NSW. I set off on a Sunday afternoon at around 1400hrs, arriving in Cobar at 2330hrs, I slept in motel 110 missed the property owner so I had to hang around all day for him to come home from work, 1630hrs, the b/head was removed and on the roofrack and I was heading home at 1800hrs, the donor

RIP123.jpg?t=1286085805

I arrived home at approx 0420hrs Tuesday morning, I didn't think this lot would fit under the carport roof so I parked in the street

LRPVbulkhead.jpg?t=1286085889

this was unloaded at around 1000hrs Tuesday morning and by Friday afternoon it had been repaired and was bolted on the chassis, more to come later cheers Dennis

Edited by DJM110
spelling mistake

G'day All, With the engine and transmission back in place, bulkhead bolted on, I now turned my attention to fabricating all the other items needed to complete this job.

I set off on a road journey to Victoria, Bandiana Military musuem, to take some measurements & drawings of a similar Land Rover, I had permission from the Musuem curator to be allowed to sit climb go under whatever with it, any problems with staff direct them to him, I had no bother from anyone, also I had been in touch with an enthusiast here in Aust, he came good with the information that I needed, (he has several of these rare machines) I now knew that none were identical, they were all very close but not off an assembly line if you follow me.

Armed with pictures and drawings I set about fabricating it all, a mate (Gordon) helped me with tube bending as that is an art, I mean I can bend tubing in the jig but to bend two exactly the same and be the same length, well thats another thing altogether anyway one of the many sketches I made

sketch1.jpg?t=1286093263

this one is for a reserve fuel tank, the vehicle has 3 fuel tanks, it carried approx 78 Gallons of fuel, a start on the fabrication of bar work

Astart.jpg?t=1286093396

this was time consuming and also used quite a bit of oxy/acetylene, heating & bending 3" x 3/8" flat bar, I won't go into the details of it all, it was difficult to say the least to do in a home workshop environment.

The engine as can be seen is a 5 main bearing diesel 2 1/4lt it is up to the task, and given that this vehicle is a copy/replica call it what you like, this was my engine of choice ( Ilike diesels). Many months passed with all sorts of gear fabricated and fitted, it started to look like a ???? this was one of the many chalk full size drawings I did just checking it all before making it :nut:

Roughdimensions001.jpg?t=1286095039

the finished job, but not mounted

Black.jpg?t=1286095137

a lot of water went under the bridge as they say, but work continued almost everyday, rain puts me off and I can remember we did get our fair share of it.

I used the Series 3 wiring harness, and modified it to suit my application, it worked out very well, the instrument mount made from a sheet of aluminium fitted with 4 'Smiths' gauges the original vehicles had VDO gauges I'm not fussed on VDO as the bodies are plastic and have been known to crack/break so I used steel bodied 'Smiths'

Instrumentcluster005.jpg?t=1286095977

the almost finished dash

Instrumentcluster011.jpg?t=1286096016

Land Rover starting to take it's shape now, but still quite a long way to go, a lot of internal fittings still to be made

sideview3.jpg?t=1286096105

some of the pix are out of sync with my text, but I don't suppose that matters much, anyway cheers Dennis

G'day All, continuing on, here is a picture taken by a chap who died a few months ago, these are the LRPV's at auction back around 1990-91, the SASR is based in a suburb just outside Perth in West Australia, thats around 2,500 miles from my place, (London to Moscow LOL) a few (less than a handfull) were purchased by locals for whatever use, the remainder were sold to a pastoral lease up in the Kimberley region of W.A., and thats where they remain to this day, a few fellows located some of them about 1 1/2 years ago but negoiations were a failure and they could end up as scrap, a pic from the auction (pic from remlr)

7.jpg?t=1286179594

all that aside I had wanted one of these vehicles for quite some time, I always knew that I could build one, and I have, the only items missing are weapons. Australia (since Port Aurthur) has undergone drastic firearms law changes, I suppose much the same way as in the UK after the 'Dunblaine' incident, but the major difference is you people in the UK can own and display de-ac weapons, here in Oz we are supposed to have national uniform gun laws across the land but they vary from state to state, here in NSW replica weapon license is very hard to get, and to get any sense out of the desk 'Johnnies' who work in firearms registry, well you might try a sling shot to the moon, it could be a easier task, hence no replica or de-ac firearms, anyway back on track.

Some of these vehicles were fitted to carry a motor cycle, originally the troops used some of their own m/cycles but it ended up with the Suzuki DR 350 was the bike of choice, it's quiet, 4 stroke, good performer, so I bought a s/hand job, I doubted very much whether the SAS specified anything special on it, and it's very hard, almost impossible to get any information regarding vehicles/kit/accessories that may/may not have been used. The bike I have is definatley a civvie job with a paint make over (it is a goer none the less)

truckntrailer001.jpg?t=1286180479

the weapon pintle can be seen above the bike in the picture, the mount was a home made job (at unit level most likely) basically its a wheel hub n stub axle, I machined the 2 rings under etc that acts as a locking device to stop the gun swinging around loosely, it would have been fitted with either a Browning .30Cal and or later in service M60/Mag58.

Here is a picture taken at a show near home, it has quite a bit of kit that cannot be seen, in the console between the front seats, 77 radio set, 3 angle head torches, map compartment, signal mirrors, 6x50 binoculars, 3 sets sun/wind/glare goggles I think thats all, in the back it has 5 plastic jerry cans for water, steel ammo boxes, I still need to make a M/gun mount for the lhs front, that will happen when I'm finished restoration No8, the windscreens were removed when out in the scrub otherwise it would have been a dead give way, anyway the picture

BrokeVillagefair2009016.jpg?t=1286180922

the tyres on the vehicle came off either a LRPV 6x6 or a RFSV that had been in Afghanistan, the vehicles are sent home to Oz to be refurbed etc, all tyres are replaced regardless, all six of these tyres had the ARN's of the vehicles they were fitted too. I have to tow a No5 1/2 ton trailer behind this Land Rover because drivers following you cannot see the brake stop lights etc, the military can get away with it most likely but I can't anyway thats my copy LRPV (Long Range Patrol Vehicle) it may not have been one in service, but it is sure as hell is the same as one, cheers Dennis

ps I have to remove the PSP off the front before driving as the turn signals can't be seen , a link to youtube and watch all 7 Land Rovers in 2009 camera atad wobbly at times

Edited by DJM110

• 3 months later...

Here are some from my collection. The monochrome (black & white for the less-well educated) shots show an airportable C50 radio-relay detachment. The vehicle towing the fish-fryer trailer sometimes held a third equipment bank (double anchor and relay roles). the other trailer carried two 40ft Clarke masts and the log-periodic antennae (ie a logmarithmically-spaced series of transposed dipoles). The Landy carried two Onan 3.5 kVA genes.

The colour shot was taken at the Queen's Birthday Parade in Hong Kong in April, 1967.

C50system2.jpg

C50system1.jpg

Bild001-1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...