Landrover Gallery.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

I've been looking at this website:

http://wielverkenner.blogspot.com/2008/08/verkenningsbak-op-marktplaats.html

Lots of photos of his fantastic restoration of a Verkennings Laro.

This photo is also from there:

Laros.jpg

One of them might even be Heidi :)

It shows the branch catcher quite well, and you can also see the windscreen cover (something else I'm looking for)

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was 4:30 in the morning when I posted that, but you know what I meant! ;) Yes it did come out ok, looks good from a distance but still has some battle scars close up.

CW, we are usually camped with the Champ Camp at Kemble as our friend owns the K2.

CW, we are usually camped with the Champ Camp at Kemble as our friend owns the K2.

Crikey that makes it an even smaller world.:-D

• 2 weeks later...

This is Heidi just the other day:

IMGP3004.jpg

As you can see: we have the most important tool close to hand (the kettle!). The front interior and body cappings are now a nice shade of RAL6014. Just the inside of the tub to do, and then reassembly. The hunt for the branch catcher continues...

Civvy LHD Land-Rovers, sometime before June 1949, packed for export - the canvas hoods & frames are flat in the back.

Where - dunno, but judging by the flat caps, somewhere in England!

Where's the photo from, CW?

I bought it with some others from a dealer at a show.He thinks its 1948.London Docks.Rare picture.

Dunno but it looks like those wooden tyres have turned up again!

I never noticed that,wonder what that was for.

I never noticed that,wonder what that was for.

Shortage of tyres over here at the time perhaps. Were Avon supplying the tyres for early Land Rovers? If so, around that time Avon were unable to export to N.America and Canada, so tyres would be supplied at destination.

Edited by Richard Farrant

Those "wooden tyres" look more like protective covers to me. Aren't they a series of small wooden plates with two flexible bands joining them? They were probably just to protect the tyre treads. I can't imagine why they'd need such protection though.

Rover weren't supplying Land-Rover vehicles to North America in 1948.

I've never seen any reference to Land-Rovers being supplied without tyres because of shortages although the spare was an extra right at the start of production.

Edited by Ivor Ramsden

They look a bit like the blocks that were put on first world war big guns,probably helped to stop them rolling about on board ship.

Those "wooden tyres" look more like protective covers to me. Aren't they a series of small wooden plates with two flexible bands joining them? They were probably just to protect the tyre treads. I can't imagine why they'd need such protection though.

Rover weren't supplying Land-Rover vehicles to North America in 1948.

I've never seen any reference to Land-Rovers being supplied without tyres because of shortages although the spare was an extra right at the start of production.

The wooden tyres you refer to are still in use today. They are often seen on tractors made in this country, and awaiting export.

There are two main reasons for this. One being space saving for shipping, and secondly different countries often have different tyre requirements, particularly the American market.

It's pointless shipping them here to be fitted, and then take up more space on a ship. It often comes down to cost effectiveness too. The Land Rovers may have suffered tyre shortages in production and were en route to a destination either where tyres are made or the supply was plentiful. :)